Backing Track Challenge - 336 Vamp

udoering

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
@Raimonds : lovely tone on the edge of breakup; I believe I can hear the tension in your playing that one has when jamming with a band (tension => energy). Good reaction to the dynamics of the bt.
@NWinther : you also sound as if you recorded a jam with your band, groping your way through it.
@Mjark : careful, delicate playing; very nice dynamics and note choice.
@fendrguitplayr : your guitar sounds great here; verry nice playing, too. To my taste, I woulnd´t have needed the synths, they often distract me from your playing, though there are passages of strong interplay between left synth ad guitar.
@SbS : beautiful bluesy version; the two guitars go very well together. Sounds like different people jamming together. Very nice. Thank you very much for your feedback, it means something to me. Yes, good monitors are a rewarding investion!
@ASATKat : your theme sounds familiar; love how you mix it with chordal stuff in the beginning. Nice variations then. You can´t help from playing jazzy, can´t you (no critique!)? Second take: it´s got something exotic / oriental, nice!
@belleswell : a quite different approach! Your track sounds very intense, the guitars mix into a enormous soundscape. I was astonished how good major scales work.
@guitarsophist : your track proves that fast playing is absolutely not necessary to create an interesting track. Very intense interplay between. Hope your hands get well soon.
@Alan L Cole : total surprise!! The way you adopted the named track to this vamp is so creative and psychedelic. Was it your voice? Great track.
@SRHmusic : started like a boogie, developed then into a powerful psychedelic rock thing. You adhered closely to the title you choose.
@Mikejazz : yes of course, the wah pedal had been missing as yet! Good thing you brought it in. Very good playing and very good use of the pedal.
@Phrygian77 : hand already clamping up? How do you play then when your hand is ok? Lovely bluesrock track, powerful playing.
@telekaster1999 : you don´t have to play "cosmic", whatever that means. This bt allows everything. I like the first section with the clean guitar, I also like when you play distorted.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
@ASATKat : (1) Feels like lava and waves flowing. Is that theme familiar from some C-64 game!? (2) Jazzy (almost acidy parts), but still crunchy, some tremolo too? Common atmosphere with the 1st, but I sense some The Doors vibes here.
@belleswell : I like it, feels also kind of trippy, like a landscape or sky with some motion. Cosmic indeed, cool!
@guitarsophist : Sorry to hear your hand, but I think your strength is class and style too. The right guitar is in charge of theme, focus and tension. Left one creates space and depth, nice interplay.
@Alan L Cole : Cosmic! Wow, vocals.. ambient elements, guitar, space. Like a psychedelic short film. Great stuff!
@SRHmusic : Great fat boogie rock tone which evolves into cosmic vamp, sounds really good.
@Mikejazz : Wah.. now some real wahhing there! Even Zappaish vibes. Well played.
@Phrygian77 : (1) I like Fuzzes, but still on route to find great recorded tones myself. Especially when I'm mostly playing humbuckers. You gained very nice live like tone. Maybe not all the way up, but singing sustain is there and really nice lively crunch without losing all of single coil (?) top end. I enjoyed your jamming. (2) Clean & Twangy Country, it fits here too.
@telekaster1999 : That works very well. Nice bends and clean slapback tone.. ok now you went overdriven and some psychedelic / 60's rock elements in between, tremolo too? Nice transformation.

It's great how many interpretations good people can have on top of quite simple ambient track. It leaves space to explore I think.

Last edited:

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@SbS I liked your incorporation of the Born Under a Bad Sign line. Your recorded tone is great. What are you using?

I'm using a tube amp into a reactive load and IR. The germanium Fuzz Face clone that I have is ridiculously noisy. As soon as I plugged it in and put my headphones back on, I could hear Spanish and religious AM radio broadcasts. The one thing that's obviously missed by only monitoring with headphones is the feedback.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
@SbS I liked your incorporation of the Born Under a Bad Sign line. Your recorded tone is great. What are you using?

I'm using a tube amp into a reactive load and IR. The germanium Fuzz Face clone that I have is ridiculously noisy. As soon as I plugged it in and put my headphones back on, I could hear Spanish and religious AM radio broadcasts. The one thing that's obviously missed by only monitoring with headphones is the feedback.

Thanks! That was well done then, couldn't hear radio through the recording, but I know the feeling.

I've got Orange Tremlord 30, found very reasonable priced b-stock unit last summer. It's got built in attenuator and switch for 2/4 output valves (30W/15W/2W/1W). It's mostly clean, so grit comes from pedals. Got an all analog board (3 germanium kit Fuzzes among others). Then I mic the amp and go to Focusrite.

Bad Sign riff was played with neck humbucker and Tube Screamer mini. Bluesy noodling was in middle position through Sweet Honey Overdrive and delay pedal, then some more spring reverb from the amp.

Mellencaster

Poster Extraordinaire
@Raimonds - Sweet tone, well thought out phrasing, and playing. You've done it justice.
@NWinther - I dig that tone, very dynamic. Feel like you playing but at times you step out of your style and I truly get a Billy Gibbons vibe. Nice one, Niels!
@Mjark - Very nice blues lines and tone all through. Another track that has a Billy Gibbons feel. Very enjoyable version.
@fendrguitplayr - Lovely synth track and lead playing.Nice tension in your playing and smooth lines.
@SbS -Thumbs up for your tone and both guitars complement each other quite well .Very smooth blues track.
@udoering - Great mix of tracks, studio quality. Love your track from your tones to your playing. Very well put together version.
@ASATKat - That Egyptian phasing is very familiar and a cool take overall. Sweet tone and version.
@belleswell - Very nice mix of guitar tracks and your tone overall is quite sweet. I hear the references some had mentioned. Well done.
@guitarsophist - Quite an enjoyable version. The pacing for the lead and interplay with the rhythm tells a tale. Very good.
@Alan L Cole - Very creative and cool version, that must be your vocals? Lovely track Alan!
@SRHmusic - Smoken tone and phrasing.Rockin' blues version!
@Mikejazz - The auto-wah and your tone are very intense, adding great tension to your version, and it rocks!
@Phrygian77 - Lovely country tone and version. That's truly what I think a tele should sound like, in my mind.
@telekaster1999- Very sweet countryfied blues version. Phrasing and your tone are a nice match.
@ASATKat - Very familiar lines but I can't put my finger on it but it is cool sounding, very enjoyable track all through
@Phrygian77- Whoops I missed this one . Smokin' playing and I can see how crapping could happen :)

Last edited:

udoering

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
@Phrygian77 : beautiful clean sound; your playing goes very well with the bt, like the outcome.
@Mellencaster : well, this is a quite sophisticated track you made, more a soundscape than a classic guitar track. Anyhow, your guitar sounds very good. And your theme sounds familiar to me, but I can´t name it. Mission Impossible?
@ASATKat : sounds great!

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Very nice tracks, everyone, really good playing and many differentapproaches. Quite enjoyable on a winter day here!
@ASATKat @udoering @SbS @Mellencaster Thanks for the kind comments. Yeah, a sort of Billy Gibbons/ Jeff Beck thing hit me, and I tried messing around with what turns out to be called Dorian b5 and Locrian nat.6(!).
@Mellencaster Nice take, like a Beatles meets 60's spy movie theme or something.

Last edited:

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
@Mellencaster : Lots of things going, wide area, but very nicely put together. Ambient stuff fits with melodies. I agree with above, kind of Bondy and 60's themes.
@ASATKat : (3) Lush reverbs and delays are tied together, still your melody comes nicely through.

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
Thanks for posting. Kept trying to get a Fly like an Eagle going, but I’m giving up on this backer.