Backing Track Challenge - 311 Atmospheric Ballad

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Jul 23, 2021.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Such a warm sweet sound, relaxing, even when the heavy comes out. Good playing.

2. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Everyone has recorded beautiful, mostly pure majestic guitar tones, and then I come along with zingy alien sounds. Classic me.

One, take, one track

Magic Swell

3. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Holic

Thanks for the track Mike!

Here's my take on it:

4. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Poster Extraordinaire

ASATKat The swells do fit quite well . Sweet spacy tones and very nice interpretation on your second take.
    ghostchord The second guitar effect has a woodwind instrument feel and nice melodies all through.

ghostchord and ASATKat like this.
  5. SbS

SbS Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Listening while cooking :)

@Alan L Cole : Tasty, beautiful and airy, nice groove and playing.
    @Raimonds : Crunchy tone, but still tender in the middle. You gave it more burn towards the end. Nice phrasing, I liked it.
    @ASATKat : (2) Massive wall of sound with lot of ingredients, but you kept all together like a proper chef.. and just let it flow.
    @ghostchord : Thick harmonics and experimental style in the beginning. Those spices towards the end made it more airy and the song came nicely together.

ghostchord, ASATKat and Alan L Cole like this.
  6. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Thanks, interesting, I recorded one track with minimal delay and reverb, the effect did have it's own delays and verbs and overdrive. So that is a big sound. Never used that Magic Stomp effect before.

Along with my guitar, there were 3 other guitar parts in the mix, so 4 guitar parts, plus a keyboard playing in there. That's a lot of support for the soloist, too much for the way I play.

It's the nature of my playing to throw double stops and chords into my single note playing, and what I play on the fly doesn't always agree with the 3 other guitarists and can sound real bad. To sound good I need to be in control of those guys.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  7. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@fendrguitplayr : the two guitars go very well together; you found nice melodies. +1 what has been said about better separation; I would like to add: different sounds (pickups, guitars). Listen to how bigbreak handled the mandolins.
    @bigbreak : just thumbs up!
    @Mjark : great mellow sound with a sensational reverb and a lovely ease in playing!
    @telekaster1999 : another very good two-guitar-track; well done, Sir! Guitars sound very dry; did you have some reverb or delay on them?
    @ASATKat : you started with a sweet melody; then, surprisingly, you went the more rocky way. Second track: I have to admit, during the first seconds I didn´t quite knew what to think, but then I really enjoyed it.
    @Mellencaster : you really took me by surprise; didn´t exspect that sound, and you did dial in it really good - love it. Expressive playing rounds it up.
    @miguelalmeida : nice clean lines, nearly played as if it was an acoustic guitar. I heard that you have a relatively high noise level. Don´t you know someone who can take a look at your recording setup?
    @Thoughtfree : and there is the acoustic version! And it´s a nice one, well played. If I may give you an advice regarding recording: there is a big bass end on your guitar track which I would adjust.
    @tomasz : Willkommen bei den Weekly Challenges! May I ask what kind of guitar / tuning you used? doesn´t sound like a regular six string tuning.
    @SbS : you recorded more than one guitar track, right? However, like the main track with the clean guitar, whereas the others sound good, too.
    @bgmacaw : as suspected, a track well suited for slide guitar. And a slide guitar, well suited for this track.
    @Alan L Cole : such a great tone! (playing of course as good as always).
    @Raimonds : lucky me, I don´t even know who Mr, Jordan is! Asides from that, I really enjoy your mediocre playing!
    @ghostchord : your guitar sounds like a fat overdriven synth, like that. But there is something in your track that puzzled me; especially in the first seconds it seemed to me that there is something that belongs not there, somethig in a different time signature. Maybe I am just going nuts.

8. miguelalmeida

miguelalmeida Tele-Meister

@udoering , thanks for the comments. I don't have a high noise level problem, just my simple setup that needs some extra help to get the guitar recorded. I learned that it's a normal thing. Thank you for your consideration.

9. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

@udoering thanks for the kind comment, and yes reverb and delay but moderately used. Just my personal preference, if you can hear it, it's to much, but if it's off you can tell it. It's a fine line to balance. Sorry for the rabbit hole. Lol

10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Thanks Ullrich @udoering - that's what happens when I hit "go" and don't know where I'm going. ;)

Haste makes waste...

11. SbS

SbS Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

@udoering , yeah there were I think total 3 or 4 tracks. I had difficulties with intro, so I left few pieces from attempts that didn't carry further.

After intro had 2 guitars: left (clean with tremolo) and right (OD). Right one didn't survive to the end either, so I panned left one closer to middle then. Also stomped on light OD pedal with it at some point.

Had kind of difficult time, to find the sweet spots and stuff.

12. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

Thank you all for the kind words!:)

@udoering Danke!:) The tuning is standard, I haven't wrapped my head around alternative tunings yet.. I still have so much to do on the regular one. The guitar is a chambered T with splittable humbuckers. I switched the settings a few times on the guitar during the playthrough.

SbS likes this.
  13. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Holic

You're not going nuts ;) I added a drum track with the supposed 77bpm of the original track. I could hear that it sounded a little off but I sort of liked how it ended up meshing with the track as if by magic... It has a pretty weird feel in the beginning, I don't know if your ear just gets used to it or if it drifts a little to work better. An experiment.

14. belleswell

belleswell TDPRI Member

Late to the party. Now to listen to everyone's take. Thanks for another great back track.

miguelalmeida, SbS, ASATKat and 11 others like this.
  15. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

Gave it a try.

miguelalmeida, SbS, ASATKat and 10 others like this.
  16. Mellencaster

belleswell Lovely slide playing and also on the second guitar track.
    Len058 Well played and sweet tone. Nice to hear from your track that you're healing quite well.

miguelalmeida, Len058 and belleswell like this.
  17. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@belleswell : very nice track, love your tone and slide playing.
    @Len058 : well played; your tone on the bridge pickup is just great.

belleswell and Len058 like this.
  18. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Was a long weekend....thanks for the track.

19. Mellencaster

NWinther Sweet tone and playing ,Niels.

NWinther likes this.
  20. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks! Re the unaccompanied intro being in time, I played along with the full BT, then silenced it to the point I wanted the band to come in.

Mellencaster and Mjark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.