Backing Track Challenge - 295 Ambient Rock

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Apr 2, 2021.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Wow, this sounds really good, and I gotta say I absolutely love the title.

2. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Here's my slightly weird take, but hey the Martians loved it. No need for masks with those guys.

Tones are complements of my Yamaha MagicStomp into the crunch channel of the Kat.

Mars

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    SbS, udoering, guitarsophist and 9 others like this.
  3. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Dang Mike your rig sounds so good, sneaky wahs, cool dude,

Mikejazz likes this.
  4. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

One quick take. Tele neck through Deluxe sim.

Alan L Cole, SbS, udoering and 10 others like this.
  5. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Holic

Thanks for the track Mike! A few "jazz notes" snuck in there:

Need to work on layering...

SbS, udoering, guitarsophist and 8 others like this.
  6. Raimonds

Raimonds Tele-Meister

Happy Easter to everyone!

Alan L Cole, SbS, udoering and 9 others like this.
  7. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I had a little time this morning so I thought I'd experiment a little.

JeffBro, SbS, Alan L Cole and 9 others like this.
  8. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Poster Extraordinaire

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

@NWinther - Nice swells at the start and throughout with a good rock vibe in-between
    @warthog - Another 'swell' start and good mix of rhythmic play and the swells.
    @Thoughtfree - Nice alternate intro and runs.
    @Mjark - That intro encourages swells, doesn't it? Nice ambient rock tone and playing further in.
    @bigbreak - Floydian and country at the same time. Nice take.
    @fendrguitplayr - Nice double stops and runs
    @Mikejazz - The double tracking was well done, hints of Floyd in there along with some jazzy stuff
    @SbS - Always fun to pull out an old guitar. Nice acoustic sounds mixed in.
    @Alan L Cole - Nice delay sounds as well as nice playing as always.
    @Len058 - Made me think of an older science fiction movie soundtrack
    @estreet - Nice delay tones and playing
    @ASATKat - Interesting effects that fit the track
    @guitarsophist - Interesting delay tones and a good clean(ish) take.
    @ghostchord - The high notes were an interesting contrast.
    @Raimonds - Nice take with hints of Floyd in there
    @bullfrogblues - Interesting effects experiment
    @Mellencaster - Nice clean playing that fits the vibe of the song

10. guitarsophist

@bgmacaw - The slide works really well here. Very emotive.
    @NWinther - Violin-like tones at the beginning, then it gets crunchy. Like always, you are floating above the clouds.
    @warthog - Cool, subtle swells. Nice repetitive second part. Works well together. Gilmourish stuff too.
    @Thoughtfree - Somehow, even with the delay, your tone still seems very present and upfront. Nice, kind of obsessive, nervous sorts of lines. Very cool.
    @Mjark - Is that a synth or just really long sustain at the beginning? It's like it is kind of glowing through the clouds. The stuff after that is cool too.
    @bigbreak - I guess David Gilmour got shipwrecked on his island and a pedal steel floated ashore instead of his strat.
    @fendrguitplayr - The harmonics and palm muting are very cool. Lovely clean tone.
    @Mikejazz - Lovely tone and interesting lines.
    @SbS - Excellent idea to use the classical guitar. Really works here. Electric guitars are wonderful but it is nice to mix it up once in a while. And old guitars love being rescued from closets!
    @Alan L Cole - I once watched an Orangutan peel a pile of kumquats. The kumquat goes in her mouth, the peel comes out like tickets from a vending machine, then a peeled kumquat comes out and joins a pile on the other side. She could also turn the pages of a plastic kids book with her lips, though she held the book upside down. I didn't know they could play guitar though! (Seriously, nice track).
    @Len058 - Nice swells at the beginning. Cool tone and nice bends.
    @estreet - Sounds like horn parts in places. Soaring lines. I don't see Oscar Wilde in it though, but he probably didn't play a PRS.

11. guitarsophist

@ASATKat - Nice crunchy squawks and wails. You are getting some really nice tones out of your new amp. Gets very raunchy. We were both thinking of Mars. My son works at JPL. He coded some simulations for the previous rover, but none of his code flew on the probe. He's now working on the Europa project.
    @ghostchord - Interesting tone. Remind me of a cat somehow. Also sounded a bit like Crosby, Stills and Nash.
    @Raimonds - Full-throated, deep tone. Nice contrast with the rest of the track. The low register stuff is cool too.
    @bullfrogblues - Is that an electric sitar (shades of the 60's!) or a sitar pedal? Far out!
    @Mellencaster - Sweet slightly crunchy tone and kind of country-ish playing. Turns the track in a different direction.

Mellencaster, Raimonds and ASATKat like this.
  12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I did the weird effects take last time, this one is the pretty clean take. I used two offset delays and a spring reverb, two guitar tracks, the same sound on both, kindered.

Clean Ambient Rock 1
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/gzczp

I'm putting this alternate take in here, overall I think it's the better of the two, but there are some melodic things in the 1st that made me choose it. I just don't know...

Clean Ambient Rock 2

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    SbS, NWinther, fendrguitplayr and 4 others like this.
  13. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Interesting if my solo gave off that vibe. I wouldn't have thought it. I gotta identify a nervous, obsessive audience to sell my music to!

14. guitarsophist

Do you know the solo in "Reeling in the Years"? There's a whole section that stays in one position and repeats the same riff with few variations, really fast, tight with the rhythm, like a thought stuck in your head. Then that stops and the guitar starts sailing over the rhythm like it has broken free and been liberated. I got the first sort of feeling with the initial parts of your solo. It was not meant as a criticism. It is an expression of a certain kind of emotion. Then you started to free it up. I really liked it.

Thoughtfree likes this.
  15. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks!

The relationship between thinking and guitar soloing is multi-faceted for sure. I appreciate your taking the time to interpret what I was playing. I could not have articulated it in words.

16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

@Mjark - Is that a synth or just really long sustain at the beginning? It's like it is kind of glowing through the clouds. The stuff after that is cool too.

soft synth/Akai mini controller

17. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am glad to see that there´s a lot going on here. Hope you had happy easter so far. Here is my track.

18. udoering

@bgmacaw : lovely slide guitar playing, creating a somewhat darkish atmosphere. Like the reverb you used.
    @NWinther : great opening! Love your interaction with the delay.
    @warthog : sweet opening too with those swells! Well carried out multi track stuff; the staccato rythm (?) guitar was a brilliant idea.
    @Thoughtfree : another great opening! Your playing sounds folkish to me, I think it would have been nice if you turned the delay louder.
    @Mjark : like that warm synth sound opening. Sweet guitar playing, not doing too much, let the tones stand and ring.
    @bigbreak : I was thinking about the question if one could call this a country version. I think no, it´s a version with a slide guitar. Just wish you would have brought it a litle more in the foreground.
    @fendrguitplayr : nice clean guitar sound, sparkling double stops and single notes.
    @Mikejazz : wonderful playing! I just have to say that I found the bt not loud enough compared to the guitar track.
    @SbS : well, you got that Takamine working! And you played it very well! Nice interplay with the electric guitars.
    @Alan L Cole : again you played that track in your very unique style. One can like it or not; I do like it!
    @Len058 : tasty rock playing! Like that chorussed (?) sound.
    @estreet : a guitar sound from you that´s unusual; I was also surprised by the way you played it. Sweet, emotive rock version.

19. udoering

@ASATKat : don´t know that pedal, but the outcome sounds very good to me, and with that I mean sound and playing!
    @guitarsophist : beautiful! That track grabbed me with your expressive playing.
    @ghostchord : that´s really nice! Good interplay with the different guitars, strong folkish vibe, transporting "feeling good".
    @Raimonds : I love that you chose a nearly clean sound for this; your guitar expresses your feelings so well!
    @bullfrogblues : I am not sure if Mr. Shankar would have played the track like you did, but it surely sounds good!
    @Mellencaster : such a sweet sound! I dig your playing, and what you played in the deeper registers I think was really good. It just got a little lost against the background of the bt, and I have no idea how you could have avoided that.
    @ASATKat : nice ambient track.

Mellencaster and Raimonds like this.
  20. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Thank you both!! I'm sure Mr Shankar would have a different take and I can't think like him!!

I pulled out my old Variax for this remembering it had the sitar sim. I tried using an acoustic 6 and 12 string but didn't like the finished product. Tried the sitar and thought what the heck, keep it.

ASATKat and Mjark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.