1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Backing Track Challenge - 277 Epic Power Ballad

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Dec 4, 2020.

1. DrB

DrB Tele-Meister

Like it. Acoustic sounds nice and rich! Gave depth and dimension.

Cool. Nice phrasing and note selection.

Sounds good. I think you need a soundcard, and your setup and playing deserve it.

The start is very cool! Very nice overall, dimensional kinda vocal...

Very expressive playing, nice approach. Sounds a bit darkish. Very nice.

Airy and eerie at parts. The right guitar with the reverb... Nice build-up.

Love your work Russ. Sounds great!

Countryish tone and approach. I like it, nice!

Thick tone. Nice bend-and-slide actions going on. Cool playing and approach!

Interesting tone. Very nice. It was a good fit. Nice melodies. Liked it!

Liked the build-up leading to the "epic" parts... Cool repeating triad melody you have used at the start. Nice. Interesting tone, gainey but thick at the same time.

Liked the tone, very nice. The melodies as well. Very well executed!

Vol swells and airy tone. Very nice. I daresay it sorta sounds newage... Getting into the second part at 1:58 with a double bend sounded very cool! Nice!

I like the melody you start with, enabled you to have a nice build-up towards the second part starting around ~1:56. Nice.

Expressive playing, like it. Nice note selection and phrasing.

Sounds good. The other was, I thought, was not bad at all. Around 2:40-55 I would have included some seagull cries... I dunno why but I think it would have been good you know...

Sounds epic. Nice! Cool shredding...

B

2. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

@knh555 The acoustic sounds great with your lead guitar. A lovely played track.
    @ghostchord - Congrats on your guitar build! The intros are the hardest part to establish a base style and play relax I find but you gradually built on your track as you progress, overall a nicely played track.
    @udoering - Lovely mix of tones and emotional playing on both guitars especially on the verses.The chorus sections rock!
    @warthog -A sweet version and a great rock ballad sound for this track and especially the ending chorus!
    @Thoughtfree - Out of the box thinking and lovely playing .Great clean tone.
    @NWinther - Breathing room for the piano adds tension to what is about to start. Sweet power ballad style playing, it's right in your wheelhouse, Niels. Your tone is big like Journey and also reminds of Kim Mitchell, a Canadian musician. Well played!
    @SbS - Very nicely structure track with all the ambient tones.Emotional playing and true the spirit of a power ballad.
    @bigbreak - You have to be familiar with the Cleverlys because your tracks always remind of them .Beautiful track.
    @fendrguitplayr -Cool synth section. Lovely lines and feel of this track, Mike!
    @JCL50 - Very nicely played JC, expressive lines, and the tone sounds great. What's the new mod?
    @Mjark - Sweet modulation with lovely phrasing.Love the recording mix with the track instruments and your guitar!
    @Alan L Cole - Some very lovely lines played and almost a fuzz tone which I enjoyed!
    @ASATKat - Ambiant intro with the swells sound lovely and on the verses. Epic playing on the chorus rocks!
    @DrB - Well played and lovely version.
    @guitarsophist - Follow the melody as they say and you did. Expressive playing and your lines!
    @bgmacaw - Very nice melodic phrasing with a sweet reverb tone.
    @chris m. - A perfect track for Schon style playing. Shredding sounds very good.

3. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Sorry...the WHAT? is a joke....going old and deaf :)
    Anyways I rather like the takes from everybody......
    Have also cut down on commenting...just wanna play and enjoy the spectacle coming from you all....

4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I appreciate your guts to give effective critique. It's a tightrope between positive critique and negative criticism and you stay on the positive critique side imo. Reaction and critique, tightrope,

udoering likes this.
  5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I liked this a lot but I liked the flow of the first version better.

ASATKat likes this.
  6. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

interesting things from all.

A few things I really liked:
    @udoering liked the two guitar parts and power on the chorus
    @knh555 awesome acoustic guitar tone
    @Mellencaster awesome take
    @chris m. guitar tone and attitude suit the track really well

I've modded my Squier deluxe strat to make a sort of a tribute guitar inspired by Mark Lettieri's Grosh (but on the cheap).
    I've copper-foil-shielded the cavities, changed the pickups for Vanson ones and wired it master volume, master tone and blender.

finie_MG_3079.JPG

udoering, bigbreak and Mellencaster like this.
  7. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I couldn't find any seagulls, I did happen to find some crows, but those are just not musical birds.

Lol, I live in the heart of new age country in Sonoma, but my volume swells have more in common with how Robben uses his volume pedal. I'm not too new age other than living the bohemian life and enjoying a stick of nag champa incense once in a while. Oh yea, volume pedals,

Thanks for the complement.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    DrB likes this.
  8. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

That's it.. I'm having too much fun here and my recording gear leave a lot to be desired, especially compared to the great sounds you all have...so...

I JUST ordered a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Hopefully I can get it working by the next jam track. I figure I'll give the free version of Amplitude a shot.

DrB and Mellencaster like this.
  9. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

Take II - Thanks Ullrich (but I kept the video):

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

@knh555 - Nice deep acoustic tone. Smooth playing.
    @ghostchord - Good build-up into the chorus
    @udoering - Nice contrasting tones
    @warthog - I agree with what udoering said, very Oldfield like
    @Thoughtfree - Nice edit of the track. Good playing
    @NWinther - That long piano intro is one of the tricky parts. Do you play over it or not is the question and you took a different route. Well played.
    @SbS - Interesting playing around with effects.
    @bigbreak - Nice, deep, twang at the start then we get fiddle and steel. Very different and well done instrumentation.
    @fendrguitplayr - Interesting delay work
    @JCL50 - Nice soundtrack like feel and tone. How was your Squier modded?
    @Mjark - Easy going take. Interesting trailing reverb/delay at points
    @Mellencaster - Left a lot of space for the piano and pad in your take. Nice overdrive going into the chorus.
    @ASATKat - (1) Nice swells. (2) The piano part is hard to work around. Nice playing when you jumped in.
    @DrB - Good driven tone, nice playing
    @guitarsophist - Nice soulful feel
    @chris m. - Nice metal-ish playing
    @Alan L Cole - Enjoyable listen. Your video made me think "Don't Blink" (Dr. Who reference)

SbS, JCL50, udoering and 4 others like this.
  11. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Late to the party, because I struggled a bit with the changes as written.

Listen to everyone else later...

warthog, SbS, beagle and 7 others like this.
  12. DrB

DrB Tele-Meister

Cool! Good to hear this.

B :)

13. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

simoncroft- Very nicely interpreted! Gary Moore like leads and a lovely sound.

simoncroft likes this.
  14. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

@knh555 - A sweet take. Nice dialog between the guitars. I always enjoy your tracks. The second track wouldn't play for some reason.
    @ghostchord - A nice debut for the new build. The tone is a little too piercing for me, but I got used to it as the track progressed. Interesting repeated themes.
    @udoering - Nice lines and a good build up in intensity. The two guitars work well together. Parts sound a bit Beatlesque. (On my track, I wasn't going so much for sustain as for a kind of woodwind timbre.)
    @warthog - Lovely tone, sounds like the bridge pickup, and then the neck. An LP is ideal for this track (I had my tele out and was too lazy to get the LP out from under the bed). This builds to an exciting peak!
    @Thoughtfree - The intro was bit like the Twilight Zone. And then it got very mellow and smooth. You are skilled on both the instrument and the recording tech.
    @NWinther - The guitar glides in like a comet in the sky after the piano intro. Cosmic lines! Very cool!
    @SbS - Tasteful from the beginning. Could be a touch louder. The strings are a bit overwhelming, you've got to fight them off!
    @bigbreak - I hear 12-string, mandolin, pedal steel, and fiddle. Wow. The pedal steel is sometimes occupying the same sonic space as the strings on the BT, so it is a little much at times.
    @fendrguitplayr - A country-sounding take. Nice lines, but I don't think you needed all the delay. The take could stand on its own merits. Interesting spacey tone in the bridge. Sounds like a theremin.
    @JCL50 - The tone is a nice contrast with the piano. Nice melodies and pull-offs too.
    @Mjark - I heard this as C# minor, but your approach makes sense too. Nice lines and tone. In the bridge section the track kind of overwhelmed what you were doing.

SbS, Thoughtfree, NWinther and 2 others like this.
  15. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

@Alan L Cole - The track had been removed by the time I got to it I guess.
    @Mellencaster - Soaring lines, in an arena rock mode. Quite nice!
    @ASATKat - I like the volume swells and the sort of whale song quality to this take. Then it gets into Neil Young territory on the chorus. Cool!
    @DrB - I like the counter melody in the intro. And then it turns into rock n' roll stuff. And arena rock in the chorus. All very cool!
    @bgmacaw - Whether you are playing slide or fingers, you always sound like you. This sounds heartfelt and is a lovely take.
    @chris m. - The Rat is a really smooth fuzz. It sounds lovely here. And quite huge!

Mellencaster and DrB like this.
  16. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Alan L Cole : now this is a nice take. The intro has its own style, then there is lot bluesrock mixed with the style from the intro; diversified playing.
    @simoncroft : Mike´s right, sounds a bit like Gary Moore. Good playing throughout, I like especially what you do om the chorusses.

simoncroft likes this.
  17. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

December,

Getting cold, this sounds like holiday chill music

18. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Wow! Now I listen to all the other takes on this, I'm struck by how subtle they are compared to my "lob the lighter into the crate of fireworks" approach! :D @NWinther – By the time I got to your take, there was nothing there. I think you may have pulled it?

NWinther and ASATKat like this.
  19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I finally got here, maybe it's a good thing, maybe it's not...

JeffBro, warthog, udoering and 6 others like this.
  20. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Ah sorry...sometimes I go alittle crazy when I kill off my jams on soundcloud...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.