1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Backing Track Challenge - 276 Rock Ballad

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use normalization when I record my guitars with the pad on and input very low.

SbS likes this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

OK, guys, here's my attempt. Channeled my inner Johnny Marr....

DrB, Alan L Cole, simoncroft and 10 others like this.
  3. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my same solo, this time with an ethereal synth pad also added. I thought of it as being in B dorian, but that's the same as E mixolydian.

DrB, Alan L Cole, simoncroft and 10 others like this.
  5. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

@fendrguitplayr cool watery flanger...love them myself....enjoyed that take.
    @ASATKat nice ambient dreamy take, lovely sound and playing!
    @guitarsophist Another clean and nice take....wonderful feel in this one dig the themes you created here.
    @udoering Really like the alternating between little clipped themes to more fluid lines, wonderful variations, and the ending that builds up so well!
    @warthog Singing tone...love the sustain and nice drive sound....cool hornlike lines and then some nice singing bends.
    @Mjark Congratulations on dog Toby :) Really love that tone you got here, also that change between little melodic themes and well spaced lines.
    @Thoughtfree Very pleasent take, warm sweet tone at work here! Climbing and rolling lines.
    @Seasicksailor Cool rotary sound, like how you went another way on this one, nice exchanges between chords and lines.
    @bgmacaw As usual a lovely slide...almost sounds like a lapsteel at places....feels like a tropical island take....want a cool glass of white wine now :)
    @SbS Fat big sorta filing out sound, very cool and I like the different take...has a stepping character with wah :)
    @Alan L Cole Signature sweet tone....cool slightly clipping tone...nice changes between chords and lines..love the time video..wonderful warm feel to it all.
    @simoncroft Nice fat juicy take, has a good head bopping feel to it, this track invites people to switch between fluid and rhythmic lines, very nice.
    @JCL50 Lovely sound for sure....like the curly lines and sweet sounds here! Again the switching between chords and lines....nice!
    @Mellencaster Wow delay soundscapes :D Distant yet close....lovely climbing stuff going on here....nice drive tone, expressive to the touch...sounds great Mike.
    @DrB Ah icebergs and glaciers from my mothers homeland....very nice indeed! You went the whole way, nice themes and like that swtich in rhythms in the lines, rolls and what not...good stuff and a cool wah sound!
    @ghostchord fast chorus or rotary...anyways cool tone...has a good flow to it.
    @chris m. 1st take......very dreamy slightly distant take....love the themes and sound...2nd take sweet synth pad used there...again those pretty themes, very enjoyable!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    DrB, Alan L Cole, ghostchord and 5 others like this.
  6. udoering

@warthog : southern rock rules! Like how you built up your melodies, very nice!
    @NWinther : very unique note choice; did you use B minor? Thought I will try that though it didn´t seem to fit at first listening.
    @Mjark : sweet tone and lovely melodic playing.
    @Thoughtfree : beautiful opening lines (and in the whole song); Nice use of double stops. Well played!
    @Seasicksailor : nice combination of single notes and doubles stops; lovely expressive melodies!
    @bgmacaw : slide, what else! Sounds like composed melody resp. an instrumental version of a song with vocals.

7. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Love the tone and playing mate!

8. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Thanks Ullrich....
    Eh well...did not think much about it....D major and some B minor...and..oh well....something :)

SbS and udoering like this.
  9. udoering

@SbS : welcome here! Your track sounds somewhat experimental; the question is, do you have problems with controlling your gear or do you know exactly what to do to produce the noises? It´s got something wild indeed! Normalization, as far as I know, is just bringing up the loudest part of your track to 0 db.
    @Alan L Cole : lovely melodic playing in the unique style of Alan L Cole!
    @simoncroft : solid rock track in the sound from the eighties. Nice work in relating the notes you play with the chords.
    @JCL50 : sweet melody playing, I appreciate that very much. Also like your slightly overdriven sound.
    @Mellencaster : sounds good, despite the time-based effects your playing is clearly heard. Sweet melodic lines.
    @DrB : forgive me, I didn´t listen to all the 10 minutes, I am a little bit in a hurry. What I heard is skilful and varied rock playing. The wah fits in so well, and you know how to work with it!
    @ghostchord : well played! Some really fine lines in there.

10. udoering

@chris m. : like the change between more rythm orientated stuff and single note playing. Sweet clean sound! Second track sounds even better.
    @SbS : correction: Normalization is just bringing up the whole track so that the loudest part of your track reaches 0 db.

SbS likes this.
  11. JeffBro

JeffBro Tele-Meister

DrB, udoering, simoncroft and 6 others like this.
  12. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks, just modified my username a bit less brand related now, it's abbreviation of Squier by Squier ;)

High gain and howling stuff was actually intentional. Like how to control uncontrollable :lol:. And then tried to make the sound like part of the recording and not too thick / overpowering. Maybe it went even too quiet there..

I tinkered my pedalboard earlier a bit and this morning guitar too. So yeah, experimenting and trying different things.

udoering and NWinther like this.
  13. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

ghostchord - Well played and the rotary effect is always cool to use but I would suggest bringing down the levels on the guitar track, it would sit better in the mix and or could use some delay or reverb if you like to sink a little deeper into the track mix.
    chris m. - I quite enjoyed the second track with the synth pad. Very sweet sound and laid back with an edge. Keys add a lot of lovely texture.
    JeffBro -Welcome Bro! Very good run for 10 minutes of playing and if I had to classify your sound it would be definitely a California tone

JeffBro likes this.
  14. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

One more, much less effects, hopefully that means more feeling,

DrB, udoering, simoncroft and 3 others like this.
  15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Yea, E would be the ending chord, but it's also A ionian, B dorian, and D lydian, this says the key is A, but the E or E7 or V7 chord is the tonal center here, the chord we would call the I7.

The Dead use Dominant chords as their tonal center because they work the best in the long psychedelic and jazz jams,

16. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Welcome, good and interesting playing.

JeffBro likes this.
  17. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Johnny Marr, a new player to me.

18. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

You sound real good, playing and tone.

19. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

A nice soft bite to your tone, melodic playing,

20. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Bold tone, good lines and theme building,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.