1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Backing Track Challenge - 272 Country Rock

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Oct 30, 2020.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I'm sorry Mjark but I don't understand "the eternity spent on the IV chord that's odd"?
    What does that mean? Thanks

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It just feels longer than G too me even though they're equal. The tempo doesn't help either.

3. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@knh555 : nice you are here again! A lovely slide track; dig your sound. Like especially what you did after 1:47.
    @ASATKat : I was a litle curious what would come to my ears after the description, but I have to say. I enjoyed it, the first version even more than that on with the b in the background.
    @warthog : nice track! It seems to me, you really are telling a story with your guitar.
    @Mjark : a sweet fat tone indeed! Your playing contrasts nicely with the bt. Last chorus sounds freat.
    @fendrguitplayr : just a very nicely played instrumental version of an unknown song! Like it very much.
    @JCL50 : even if it´s "only rythm stuff", it sounds great to me. Good work!
    @Alan L Cole : how did you get this sound? Cocked wah? You got some really nice lines in there!

4. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah, like Mjark said, it's the tempo and the progression, not the scale. I found things to play, but I couldn't get into a groove and the change to the Am chord kept sneaking up on me. I felt like I had suddenly become even more incompetent than I usually am. JCL50 said my track was too dry. It has a bit of spring reverb and a bit of room, both simulated. I suppose I could add some delay, but in general I tend not to use it, or use it very sparingly. It's all a matter of taste. I know this crowd loves delay!

5. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Thank you, but no slide involved. :D

6. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Good mornin' GS, I had a problem with the bt guitar, it was way to loud imo. That's why I turned the bt down, and then off. Regarding backing track guitars, I don't like them because it takes away my chance to do my own accompaniment.

As far as the tune itself, it was ok, if your thing is Tom Petty playing heavy. I never was much of a Petty fan, but that doesn't stop me from trying to fit in to the style, well yes it has stopped me, once, and a few tracks I've just let go right on by.

I would like to hear more mids and lower end in your tone, maybe some od when playing rock and blues? Those are more pertinent issues than delay. Listen to Robert Cray, his tone may appeal to you.

What amp/pedals are you using?

7. guitarsophist

I always turn the BT down. I am recording into Reaper so the BT is in its own track and I have separate tracks for each instrument I add. I adjust the mix after recording to get it balanced and close to -3 db. I use ToneLib GFX for amp sims and effects. I have used Amplitude, S-Gear, and Guitar Rig, and I think that Tonelib is best, though it is also the cheapest. I almost always use the amp gain controls for crunch and almost never use the collection of overdrive and fuzz pedals available in Tonelib. I am really not a pedal guy. I actually recorded using a Marshall sim, but I changed it out to an AC-30 because I wanted a bit warmer tone. I dialed back the bass and the mids because I was still thinking country, though I was using an LP. I could remix the track with more bass and mids, or even a different amp, but I really was going for that semi-clean on the edge of breakup chimey tone. I don't think my version of this track is worth a remix though. In general I like a cleaner, drier tone than most folks here. I could have used a hall reverb on this one, though, which might have put the lead track a little further back in the mix.

We probably learn more from the tracks we struggle with, so this was a good exercise.

8. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I love big reverbs lately. Sometimes I go too far but they usually make parts sit better in the track to my ear at least.

9. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Busy weekend. Did 2 takes and wasn't getting anywhere...so here it is:

10. guitarsophist

Yeah, to me, a totally dry track sticks out in front and doesn't blend well with a backing track, even if you turn it down. A bit of reverb makes it move back in the mix a bit. More reverb moves it back even further. I'm talking about how it sounds spatially. I don't know if people who mix stuff professionally think about it this way, but that is how it sounds to me. A plate reverb works a little differently in this regard than a room or a hall though.

11. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

Hi Ullrich. Thanks for the comments on my track. We are all in a quest for tone I suppose. As all mine are, this one is a result of and specific to tweaking my digital recorder, my BOSS BR-800. I selected the recorder's "DrvnTwin" sim, adjusted the tone setting, added some BOSS "Mild" comp and "Mid Boost" distortion and a moderate level of reverb ("Modulate"). I doubled the resulting guitar track with no offset, with a very small amount of L/R panning. I added a pinch of EQ to the doubled track only and some Chorus to both guitar tracks. I don't shoot for a specific tone per track but rather the best tone I can generate per BT. Thanks again.

Edit - No wah.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    udoering likes this.
  12. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

@knh555 - The slide fits nicely with the BT. Welcome back.
    @ASATKat - Uniquely played without the track, Cliff. You've made it your own, and enjoyable take on both
    @udoering - You've managed this track quite well! Sweet spanky tone with phrasing to match.
    @warthog - Soulful lines and a sweet version, the door closing adds to the charm and the angst of recording :)
    @Mjark - A very lovely tone and tastefully played with highs and lows.Very enjoyable track.
    @fendrguitplayr - Indeed a measured approach and a sweet tone. I really enjoyed your version on this track , Mike!
    @JCL50 - I really quite enjoyed the slide with the second guitar. A dreamlike instrumental with lots of guitar tones. Lovely.
    @Alan L Cole - Lovely tone , both pickups with P90s? Well thought out phrasing, dig the harmonics, and playing.
    @ASATKat- Sweet harmonics at the intro, the phrasing sounds lovely.
    @tooloud -Yes solid playing and the harmonized guitars fit perfectly.
    @guitarsophist - Very enjoyable phrasing all through. You've told a story
    @simoncroft- No apology needed, Simon. Very nicely done take with a sweet Fenderish tone!
    @Thoughtfree interesting.Creative! I've got the same feel as JC, Baba O'riley!
    @xtelesquirex - Smooth playing on the verses and melodic on the bridge with the chorus dynamically built-up.Very good take.

13. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

The sensation on this track was something that did not agree with me...but I mashed this guitar thing into it!

14. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

NWinther Very cool version,Niels .Love the tone.

NWinther likes this.
  15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I'm guilty of too much delay,

16. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

I'm blown away by so many great takes. When I listen to them, I try to learn something from each one of them. :)

I've never earned a living solely from playing music, or sound engineering, but I was lucky enough to learn from some wonderful professional music recording engineers, so I'd like to put my ¢10 into this...

Basically, yes! But let's look at why.

'Reverb' is a perfectly good term for an effects that adds a sense of space. For instance, there's a spring reverb in many Fender amps, and it can sound great when used with caution. Used too much in a room that is already reverberant, it can make your guitar sound as if you're playing in a swimming pool!

I'm going to use the term 'room simulation', because modern digital processors can give us uncannily accurate recreations of everything from the sound reflections in a typical bathroom to the ones you should experience in a specific position, in a specific venue, auditorium, or stadium.

Let's think about how that might work in the real world.

You've set up your amp on the stage of a world-leading concert hall. Right next to the amp, you're hearing mostly 'dry' signal from your own speakers, although you're aware of some reverb from the room. The Front-of-House mix engineer has her desk about halfway down the venue. She's hearing a lot more of the room ambience than you.

Your manager is at the back of the venue, and is hearing a lot of reflected sound, not least from the back wall under the balcony. All that can be reproduced, and you can add it to your own recordings, just using a plug-in.

So, more reverb, or room simulation, equates to greater perceived distance. Hence, we don't want more reverb on the lead vocal than the backing singers, because we want the backing singers 'behind' the lead singer, and so-on. I'd actually go as far to say that getting the front-to-back element of your mix right is probably more important than the left-to-right considerations. After all, people still bought music when it was in mono. :D

Sorry if I've hijacked the thread. :oops:

NWinther likes this.
  17. guitarsophist

And back in the day when I was playing in a band, we mostly played sock hops in high school gymnasiums. We had Bandmasters with no reverb, and we didn't need it because a basketball gym was basically a giant unruly reverb chamber that would suck up as much volume as you could provide. When you have an oversupply of natural reverberation, you don't need a delay or a reverb unit. In fact, if there was such a thing as an anti-reverb pedal, we would have bought it (if we could have afforded it, an entirely different matter. Back then we desired much, but made do with what we had or could borrow).

Thanks for the analysis!

simoncroft likes this.
  18. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

Thanks for the track. Doesn't get more rock than this... I'm busy building a guitar so less time to play, this is my second take (not enough gain on the first one):

19. udoering

@ASATKat : the "lake Jam" is much more straight forward, you found fine lines especially on the chorusses.
    @tooloud : lovely rock version, the harmonized lines are great.
    @guitarsophist : astonishing, you calmed down the track despite the busy bt; dig it.
    @Mellencaster : during the first seconds you sound as being unsure what to do, but then you find your way, and it becomes a nice melodiv rock tune. 2:48 ff is lovely!
    @simoncroft : though technically not perfect, it´s a creative and entertaining way of playing this
    @Thoughtfree : very nice! In the first seconds I thought you were playing an hommage for The Who´s Won´t Get Fooled Again

Mellencaster and Thoughtfree like this.
  20. udoering

@xtelesquirex : I think you found nice melodic lines, and similar to guitarsophist calmed the track down.
    @NWinther : I can still hear your power, but somehow you sound different than usual. Can´t name it more precisely.
    @ghostchord : you found a nice melody for the track, and your intonation is getting a lot better.

xtelesquirex and NWinther like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.