Backing Track Challenge - 265 Rock

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Sep 11, 2020.

1. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

@Mjark - Blissfully sweet tone. I was worried when you said you got rid of your vintage strings because you know vintage is always better!
    @NWinther - I hiked in a bamboo forest near Kamakura to see the Great Buddha. The mosquitoes were as big as fighter planes! I can hear them buzzing around in your track.
    @udoering - Nice mellow tone and riffs at the beginning, then it gets a bit more aggressive. Nice riff ideas!
    @Squier by Squier - I couldn't hear any latency, but you are not playing tight to the drums anyway. Sort of floating over the changes with cloudy sustaining riffs of sonic color.
    @Mellencaster - Sort of a Leonard Skynard feel throughout. Definitely Southern Rock. Nicely done! (Do they have Southern Rock in Canada?)
    @Raimonds - Nice and melodic. Nice hammer-ons. Beautiful creamy tone.
    @Peegoo - I've actually never played a V, but I used to go see Albert King play one. Beautiful tone and just right for this track.
    @fendrguitplayr - That melody sounds familiar, but I can't place it. Nice riffs! Beautiful bends and double stops.
    @bigbreak - Lovely stuff. Who's on banjo?
    @Alan L Cole - That is a cloudy tone! I don't know what to say about the dictionary though. Maybe you need a talkbox for that part. A nice mellow peaceful feel throughout.
    @ghostchord - That bridge humbucker sounds good! I have never had a strat with a humbucker but it seems like a good idea. Oh and the fuzz is nice too!

I think this is the most melodic bunch of tracks I have heard on a TDPRI thread!

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I love, love, love this track, Mellencaster, especially that Bm7 Asus A turnaround.

Very nice. :)

3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, I kept hearing "Can't Find My Way Back Home" (Steve Winwood) and then
    pieces of The Wilburys "Handle With Care" in the back of my head.

4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

After I was done I thought of Duane Allman, I have no idea why, nothing connected, other than I thought of him. For all that I dedicate it to him,
    I could also hear Whitney Houston boldly singing to it, very epic sounding. RIP to both of them. On the today side,,, Angelina Jordon could and will blow the roof off with this sort of tune, if there were words.

But sigh,

Just me and my solo isolation recording, I try to sound like a singer with my playing, maybe Whitney,,,

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Mjark, warthog, Mellencaster and 5 others like this.
  5. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Squier by Squier : lovely raunchy sound, and as stated above, some really fine lines.
    @Mellencaster : simple but effective rythm guitar; the separation between the two guitars works perfectly, though they sound very much alike. Good playing, and a very well carried out two-guitar-track!
    @Raimonds : creative lines all over; guitar is well mixed, blends very good with the bt.
    @Peegoo : like the opening with the muted notes. Sweet dual guitars! Playing in the deeper register during the second verse works well.
    @fendrguitplayr : nice melodic playing. Like how you switch from minor pentatonics to major scale.
    @bigbreak : such a beautiful, skilled version!
    @Alan L Cole : that´s a dreamy atmoshere you are creating, guitar sounds almost acoustic.
    @ghostchord : nice melodic playing throughout. Maybe a little too much reverb. For the sake of the track, I would have left out the distorted guitar - or play it parallel to the clean one in the background.
    @guitarsophist : your guitar sounds sometimes as if it were fretless; it needs some milliseconds for the tone to build up. Your playing sounds careful, tentative - very nice.

6. udoering

@ASATKat : as far as I could hear, you played some very fine lines which indeed sound like Whitney Houston singing; but there is so much reverb / delay! Did you intend it that way?

ASATKat likes this.
  7. udoering

I re-heard your track, and I think I hear some compressor-pumping-effects on the bt.

8. ghostchord

ghostchord TDPRI Member

Thanks ... I sort of felt the need to kick it up a notch... I noticed a lot of good players sort of do that and I'm trying to figure it out... When I listen to it I get that effect but that could just be me being a Slash fan ;) I usually don't really like distortion anyways but it felt like the right thing... Since this is all in the computer I can take that off or double a clean tone with the distortion... We'll see what that sounds like..

Also I did turn on a bit of reverb and echo to try and expand things a little. Also tried to inject a bit more vibrato in my playing, something else I'm trying to figure out... I can experiment turning that down... The wonders of technology.

(Here's the clean guitar mixed with the distorted in the last riff ~2:19 and a little less reverb for all. I might have drifted a little in the timing since there was something weird with my tracks but to my ears it still sounds more or less in time with the backing track... )

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Mjark, warthog, Mellencaster and 4 others like this.
  9. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

Kinda rusty on playing, but this thread sure inspired me to give it a shot!

Just recorded through my phone: computer speaker and Blackstar fly.

NWinther, udoering, Mjark and 5 others like this.
  10. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

Awesome! Great production and playing Russ. Thanks for sharing some of the players - it's cool to see who's who. I assume that's you on the electric guitar? I assume your studio is all digital these days? Any pics you can share?

11. Alan L Cole

Thanks GS. The main theme of the video is wind (winds of change).
    The apple represents forbidden fruit and the book, the book of knowledge.
    The windmills are the evolving and resulting technology of change and knowledge - or something like that.

NWinther likes this.
  12. Alan L Cole

Great takes by all on this backer!

Peegoo, NWinther and Mellencaster like this.
  13. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I deleted two useless tracks leaving it to my one track. Less clutter. What do you think?
    Thanks for the feedback.

14. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Mjark -The Lp sounds great. Lovely melodic intro with both guitars and it carried on to the main verses and chorus . Nice one.Mark!
    @NWinther - Sweet thick tone, the gradual expression in your phrasing to the chorus sounds very nice, Niels.
    @udoering - Nicely built up, love the tone . Some lines I thought were very stellar but overall it was all played well with an emotive feel.
    @Squier by Squier - The minor changes was nicely done, the two guitar tracks worked well and nicely phrased all through
    @Raimonds - Well played Raimonds, always an enjoyable listen.
    @Peegoo - The intro is very nice and the space allowed between the track and yourself is really well-structured.Nicely played.
    @fendrguitplayr - The melody does sound familiar I liked the laid back feel that you've expressed and the double stops with the phrasing sound good, Mike.
    @bigbreak - Talented musicians and a very good arrangement of instruments orchestrated!
    @Alan L Cole - Lovely ambient tones and melodically played.Very nice woody tone too!
    @guitarsophist - Lol... No, not really but your Southern rock has been assimilated into our culture like everything else that the US puts out :) Your playing reminds me of Gordon Lightfoot styling .makes me feel at home. Nice!
    @ghostchord - First track - Very good with a warm feel and for a second I thought you were going into a full Sweet Child of Mine lead Good stuff. The second track was nicely done as the last one.
    @ASATKat -Sounds big with the singing leads, cool trills, and an emotive take for sure . Very nice.
    @warthog - Welcome! Very nice take for your first here and it sounds pretty good for a phone recording.

udoering and NWinther like this.
  15. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

@Mellencaster - Thanks for the great backing track! I'm going to keep an eye out for more... really inspires me to play... and it's been too long!!! :)

Mellencaster likes this.
  16. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A few more passes and some of the tentativeness would probably disappear. My technique is shifting. I am moving from scale-based playing to playing through the chord shapes, or a combination of the two, so my brain is sometimes a little behind my fingers. The notion that it sounds fretless surprised me. I think what you are talking about is the light touch. I mostly play with a small jazz-style pick and I am going for a light, fluid, fast motion. I hardly ever dig in. But that is just where I am at right now. TDPRI Twanger Central has inspired me to try to up my game.

Thanks for the feedback!

NWinther and udoering like this.
  17. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Very nice all around takes...this is always fun to hear that ever changing approaches from our little pool of players....and how it has changed over time :)
    ^Funny about that technique....I always play with a light touch on my fretting hand...and dig in and not dig in with my other hand...sometimes without a pick as well....
    Never think much about it when I play...it only appears to me after I played how I took it on....

My sound do sound kinda saturated...even though I actually never use that much dirt...I just want enough and I like it to clean up somewhat when I ease off...
    I like it elastic :D
    Here at home I almost always only play my acoustic, got a nice Seagull Artist Cameo that I use.....mostly just finger picking all the time :)
    Hardly play the electrics, almost only when recording.

Anyways all these different tracks are great to play along....
    Especially after I have not played in a band in ages now....good way to keep up the intrest...
    Otherwise I would just be out taking pictures all the time instead...
    :)

udoering, Mellencaster and warthog like this.
  18. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Thank you for the kind words...and the backing tracks. I'm using these to focus on composition and sounds, and not so much guitar technique in particular. I'm trying to approach each track as a complete song with a beginning, a middle, and an end. Harmony is particularly difficult for me because I have a tin ear, so that gets thrown in a bit too as I need plenty of practice. I do appreciate all feedback--especially critical feedback--because that's how I can improve.

These have been wonderful exercises for me and I do appreciate the challenges. I'm also stealing licks and musical ideas from everyone that contributes, so if you hear you in any of my playing, it's your fault :twisted:

Cheers and "be well" to all,

Geno

19. Alan L Cole

My goal is self gratuitous wanking.

udoering and NWinther like this.
  20. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Hey Mark, You did something different in the chorus where the thing I did was increase the energy, that's what I heard, but you went a different direction by softening the chorus with dual bends and two line harmony in a natural AAB Dickie Betts sort of slant. I like it very much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.