Backing Track Challenge - 264 Funk

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Sep 4, 2020.

1. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah, it's more like arena rock. But it is cool in its unfunkiness.

2. guitarsophist

That happens sometimes. This track has an unusual structure. Sometimes you have to try a bunch of times, then do something else, and come back, and suddenly . . . your fingers find something!

3. ghostchord

ghostchord TDPRI Member

So got a different guitar to help a little and had a few ideas:

Still not perfectly happy ... There are those longish connecting sections in the track where I'm sort of lost, they're playing like a single chord over and over? It almost feels like there's a key change in there as well?

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Quite the box!

klasaine and ASATKat like this.
  5. guitarsophist

Yeah it stays on Bm7 for like 12 bars. The chords are actually printed in the image for the backing track. The only thing that is out of Bm/D is the F#major. But you did fine.

6. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

If the Doobie Bros were playing this jam someone somewhere would say they were getting down and funky, funky is a broad term, means many musical things to many musical people. To me I played to this as if it was funky

It would be nice to put up a backing track of Cissy Strut sometime, that might be the sort of thing you were suggesting. Maybe next time.

7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It may not be George Clinton Parliament funkadelica but the groove on the static Bm7 section is definitely funky.
    And to echo everyone else ... "record something tough guy".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  8. klasaine

Thanks!
    I try to give them all a melody.

Carl_Tone likes this.
  9. klasaine

Thanks!
    The Brian Auger band 'Oblivion Express' did a version of Wes' Bumpin on Sunset and this sort of reminded me of it. So I'm channeling Wes through Brian Auger ... with some Steely Dan Do It Again vibe at the end.
    I'm am solely a product of my influences.

10. KennyWTelejazz

KennyWTelejazz Tele-Meister

Here's mine

I hope you enjoy
    Kenny

11. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I went down the wrong rabbit hole, the second verse was tough.

12. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Alan L Cole - Sweet modulation and you're flying . Very nice!
    @udoering - Sophisticated double guitar track and I quite liked the effects that you've chosen it suits the style of the track. Well played
    @Squier by Squier - The second guitar track with the wah fills in well. Nicely played all through!
    @Mjark -It reminds of 70s sound and trippy playing, the interplay with both guitar works well and fun listen!
    @Peegoo - Sweet theme . The phrasing sounds good with the second guitar and the fuzz towards the ending was very nice.
    @NWinther - Niels, your signature tones is always a treat. Played with passion and smoking lines. Sweet trail off!
    @ASATKat - Emotive and loved how your notes rang out with sustain .Nice!
    @klasaine - Oh ya you're in the box, the octaves and phrasing sound very good!
    @guitarsophist -Sweet tone with the fuzz and your lines express your theme quite nicely.
    @ghostchord -You seem to have the handle on this track with your lines you played and the clean tone sounds nice.
    @KennyWTelejazz -The fast lines and your tone sound very good , Kenny!

13. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Mjark : love the delay parts! The repetitive passages puzzled me at first, but the second one worked well!
    @Peegoo : thanks, yes, I´m, well. I like that you didn´t let yourself drag in speeding up your playing, so your playing stands out against the busy backing. some fine lines (opening, for example) and sounds.
    @NWinther : your playing reflects the title beautifully - or vice versa. Beautiful, powerful playing.
    @ASATKat : your playing has a nice touch of feeling your way; like that very much.
    @klasaine : the octaves brought in a quite different vibe. Played very well and full of ideas. Steely Dan at the end indeed.
    @guitarsophist : you made a song out of this! I am no friend of fuzz, so the sound doesn´t please me much, but that has no influence on your composing / playing.

NWinther likes this.
  14. udoering

Mellencaster likes this.
  15. udoering

@ghostchord : you definetely played melodies there, based on the chord change; just start to evolve melodies on the base of one chord! Your target notes might be the third, the fifth and the seventh; the second also works well.
    @KennyWTelejazz : lovely green Tele depicted! Like the fat sound on the edge of breakup. And, of course, lovely jazzy lines and emotive ones!

KennyWTelejazz likes this.
  16. guitarsophist

The thing about a fuzzface is that if you dial it way, way back you get sustain with clarity and not much actual fuzz. You can use an overdrive pedal to get something similar but not quite the same. It's definitely a 60's sound, but that's when I started playing so I like it. Back in those days there were no overdrive pedals, so if you wanted that sort of singing woodwind sound, it had to be a dialed back fuzz (or a Marshall on 10). Listen to Randy California in Spirit. He's playing through a Jordan Bosstone fuzz and it has an eerie, very musical sound. It doesn't have to sound like "Satisfaction" or massively angry like Big Brother playing on "Cheap Thrills." (Though that is cool too.)

I guess what I am saying is that hating fuzz is a kind of prejudice :) There is nasty fuzz and then there's musical fuzz.

NWinther likes this.
  17. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

@udoering - Sounds good Ullrich. Nice drive to the duel guitar tracks and the wah workered nicely here.
    @Squier by Squier - You paced your phrasing nicely SBS. Some nice runs/retro riffin' with cool wah in there too.
    @Mjark - Cool use of your vamp and chords Mark. Nice delay fx.
    @Peegoo - Another nice use of a vamp and some cool arpeggios and staccato Peegoo.
    @NWinther - Nice use of delay - the sky's not the only thing on fire Niels. Rock righteous riffin' and a signature outro.
    @ASATKat - Nice melodic element ASATKat with a psychedelic retro vibe.
    @klasaine - Sweet tone, melodic and smokin' phrasing Ken. Cool use of octaves.
    @guitarsophist - Nice pacing and interplay with the backer GS. Liked your desending vamp too.
    @ghostchord - You found your way ghostchord and developed a melody on your journey.
    @KennyWTelejazz - Your playing always makes me smile Kenny. Way to spank the green out of that Tele!
    @Mellencaster - You always have a strong voice to your playing Mike. Dig the chords and riffin'.

18. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Heard this on the radio this morning, lol
    104 degrees, about 98 in my place when recording, it got up to 110,

I'm trying to put some Martino like chromatics in it, 16ths would be nice,
    emphasis on trying,

That background hiss is an essential fan,

DrB, Mellencaster and NWinther like this.
  19. KennyWTelejazz

KennyWTelejazz Tele-Meister

@KennyWTelejazz -The fast lines and your tone sound very good , Kenny![/QUOTE]

Thanks Mike ! this was a fun track to play over

@KennyWTelejazz : lovely green Tele depicted! Like the fat sound on the edge of breakup. And, of course, lovely jazzy lines and emotive ones![/QUOTE]

Hi Ullrich ,

I love that guitar it's my #5 Tele .I'm glad you enjoyed my playing and lines . It means a lot .Thank you .

@KennyWTelejazz - Your playing always makes me smile Kenny. Way to spank the green out of that Tele!

Hi Alan ! Spank the green off the Tele... Yeah we newcomers LOL . Thank you for the listen and the smile .

all the best
    Kenny

20. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Hot damn, son. Have you played before?

:twisted:

KennyWTelejazz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.