1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Backing Track Challenge 231 - Balllad

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like how you started with the lower register and your dark tone. You build it up just right too.

Lovely 6ths and arpps. Mellow tone.

- It felt familiar to me as well. You had no problem playing new lines though.

- All those bright shiny triads! Interesting way to go.

- Just Bluesy enough, reminds me of Jerry Garcia a little bit.

- Anthem like. Great phrases and rests!

Alan L Cole and NWinther like this.
  2. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

Just had a bit of a mess about on this with a GR-55 guitar synth that a friend I'm recording with left here for the weekend. Hadn't tried one since the MIDI section on my old Casio MG510 used to work. Although the tracking is a lot quicker than it was on that, I didn't find it's tendency to glitch much different and if it was mine I'd probably get so mad with it I'd want to chuck it out the window!

3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The voices sound pretty good. Pretty melodies.

4. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@NWinther : a track of great emotional expression; vibrato / slide (?) work is superb. Those are haunting notes.

NWinther likes this.
  5. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@estreet : like Mark said, nice melodies, and the voices sound ok. Can you turn on a legato?

6. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

@Mellencaster nice sound that delivered a feel of memories and such...
    @bgmacaw sounded almost backwards at places...really cool and dig this take!
    @Mjark Echoes...dreamy take....sounds amazing in earphones.
    @fendrguitplayr Mellow twangs...soulfull stuff.
    @guitarsophist Minimalistic take...love it, really takes you down and let it settle in...wonderful.
    @udoering May she rest easy :( A very heartfelt take, love the tones...clear and brilliant....also takes you places..well played!
    @JCL50 Nice warm sound, like the spaces and feel of this one!
    @alainvey Wonderful tones...a very nice take!
    @knh555 Sweet tones that reflects well on the track....like the stretchy bends.
    @ASATKat Bright delay....felt like looking at the northern lights...very otherworldy.
    @Alan L Cole That is one sweet tone and totally dig that playing style...nice nice lines that tells little stories.
    @estreet Ah different...but love the ideas here...

Thanks....a combination of both bends and vibrato usage....all that Floyd Rose abuse I did as a kid, has payed off in another way than I thought...haha I got bored of divebombs and squeals....so I started to use the vibrato as a phrasing tool instead....many many years ago.

Guess I got pretty spastic over the years ;)
    I try to minimise it these days, everybody thinks that I am ripping of Jeff Beck ;) ...and I love Becks phrasings...but it is just a way of phrasing notes and making faux slides etc. etc.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

@alainvey - Nice jazzy tone, cool delay effects at some points.
    @knh555 - Late 80's/Early 90's soundtrack feel, expecting Meg Ryan to show up at any point
    @ASATKat - Interesting delay, almost a reverb/chorus blend delay I've heard on some newer pedals
    @Alan L Cole - A nice, peaceful, take, very smooth.
    @estreet - Nice synth work. I keep thinking about a guitar synth setup of some type but I'm concerned about it being a time suck and being glitchy. Crashing plugins when I try to use a MIDI controller are annoying enough.
    @NWinther - For some reason, yours came through louder than the other tracks. Great playing though.

NWinther and Alan L Cole like this.
  8. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

Thanks bg. I'd have to say I wouldn't buy one. The glitching is the deal-breaker for me. They do require you to play differently, ie quite carefully and accurately - and of course you'd expect that - but no matter how careful you are, spurious notes will appear. I found I had to redo lots of bits through no fault of my own and that's frustrating. I can play keyboards a (very) little bit and for most things I would rather do that I think. It is tantalising to a degree though because it is quite good fun doing sax solos etc. until it glitches - which is quite often.

NWinther likes this.
  9. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

@NWinther - Although melodically sweet I can still hear your voice Niels. Nice!
    @estreet - It may have been maddening Carl but it's a nice tour of the GR-55's capabilities. Very cool!

NWinther likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.