1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Backing Track Challenge 231 - Balllad

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Jan 17, 2020.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

@Mellencaster - I like the sound of delay on this track. Mellow, countrified take
    @Mjark - That syncopated lead setting is interesting. Good interplay with the backing track.
    @fendrguitplayr - Nice twangy take. What kind of compression did you use?
    @guitarsophist - You don't hear the Tele neck pickup that often. Nice chimey tone.
    @udoering - Great emotive playing especially in the middle section. Reminded of someone's style but I can't quite remember who.
    @JCL50 - I agree with Mellencaster that it has an 80's feel to it. It reminded me of a 80's movie soundtrack for some reason.

udoering and Mellencaster like this.
  2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I only used minimal compression from a Softube plug-in. The controls on the plugin mirror the hardware with a few small changes. In addition to gain, attack, release, threshold, and ratio controls, the plugin allows for parallel compression to be done from within the plugin.

bgmacaw likes this.
  3. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Nice track!

bgmacaw, NWinther, JCL50 and 7 others like this.
  4. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Lovely backer. It feels like I've done this before but doubt I can find it. Anywhoo, here it is again, this time on the Gretsch Penguin mic'ed through a Princeton Tweed (5f2a) clone.

bgmacaw, NWinther, udoering and 6 others like this.
  5. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Thanks Mike,

fingerstyle,

Bohemian Ballad

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    bgmacaw, NWinther, udoering and 5 others like this.
  6. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Mike:

bgmacaw, NWinther, JCL50 and 5 others like this.
  7. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

@Mellencaster - Great tone and playing Mike. Nice use of delay and dble stops.
    @bgmacaw - Nice melodic via volume swells and tone BG. Soulful and pretty.
    @Mjark - Pretty, melodic playing Mark. Nice use of the echo effect.
    @fendrguitplayr - Cool, clean, Country-Tele vibe Mike. Touching melodically with nice use of double stops.
    @guitarsophist - Sweet playing and nice clean tone GS. Melodically delicate.
    @udoering - Very pretty Ullrich and played with passion. Great tone. (I'm sorry to hear of your loss).
    @JCL50 - Nice technique, phrasing and tone JC. The distortion works nicely here. Sweet riffin'.
    @alainvey - Lush tone. Nice use of octaves and double stops. Pretty phrasing, technique and delay.
    @knh555 - Nice chord work. Your signature tone and phrasing sounds good here. Emotive playing.
    @ASATKat - Like the chords and arpeggios Kat. Nice harmonic playing and use of delay.

8. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

That's nice playing and tone.
    =)

9. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

@udoering - Sweet tone on the main guitar and interesting parts. It is hard to lose anyone close in your life and many of us are getting to the age where we have lost many. I have always found a guitar to help deal with the emotions.
    @JCL50 - It is amazing how even a relatively high gain sound can sound sweet and sentimental on this track. Nicely played!

udoering likes this.
  10. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

@alainvey - Very smooth confident playing. Mellow tone. Creates a peaceful, reflective mood.
    @knh555 - Pretty melodic lines. The second guitar sounds good, with good interplay with the first.
    @ASATKat - You know I have been thinking about what you were saying about "playing behind the beat." I thought you were maybe talking about latency in the electronic signal path. This time around I realized that I have the same problem, and it is caused but a kind of mental latency (maybe "hesitancy") that happens when one is improvising on the fly and playing one note while thinking about what the next one will be. It's mind/finger latency! And more theory, more scales, more chords, increases mind/finger latency, until it doesn't. The solution? As always, more practice. This track is nice by the way. Your chord approach is interesting.
    @Alan L Cole - Does your title refer to the ancient computer game? I had a defective copy of Myst when it first came out. I tried and tried, but it would not load. So I gave up and started reading a book. About half an hour later, the computer started making the lapping water sound of the opening dock scene. Very strange and mysterious. It still wouldn't play however. I had to get a new copy. Totally weird game. Your track sounds more positive than the game was.

Alan L Cole, knh555 and ASATKat like this.
  11. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@alainvey - Really nice dynamic lines with a touch of jazz phrasing, they stood out well and not to mention, a sweet tone.
    @knh555 - I have to agree with Alan. Nice chord work and your signature tone and phrasing sound very nice. I had to look up your Gretsch Penguin, my first time hearing about it. They seem exceedingly rare guitar, congratulation for owning one.
    @ASATKat - I quite enjoyed your take, Kat. The arps and chordal work well with your phrasing and a nice tone with your delay.
    @Alan L Cole - Melodic and dynamically played, a lovely take.

Alan L Cole and knh555 like this.
  12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Good observation, first step in fixing the problem is to recognize the problem. It's like being colorblind and not knowing real color, and if you ever watch Enchroma glasses videos (tons) the reaction to seeing color is overwhelmingly beautiful and they cry, even the truck drivers.

Music has a number of areas like rhythm and pocket, harmony and playing in and out of the harmony,,, each area would make you cry if you noticed the correction instantly, but it's not an instant thing so you don't cry.

Dude it's Saturday night and I ain't got nobody, and I'm just rambling lol, hopefully entertaining.

13. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I liked your first note, a harmonic, and then your first 9th at 1:00, you only played it for a moment but it introduced a new element, the music was evolving.
    Beautiful technique.

14. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Emo bends, nice warm blues tone for solo(s). Nice interplay and subtlely harmonized.
    Wine, food, fireplace, lights are dim,

knh555 likes this.
  15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Love your intro, delicate, nice arps.Nice major pent playing.
    I like when the band comes in bigger just before the end and you're leading them. Cool

16. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@JCL50 : expressive tone and playing with interspersed fast runs. I like the slow passages better, but that´s my mood I think.
    @alainvey : interesting approach in the beginning with those double stops in the deep registers; lovely mellow sound. Your fast runs break up the mood of the track a little.
    @knh555 : great sound, emotive playing. Though the second guitar plays well together with the first one, I found it a little distractive; maybe because it was the same sound as the main guitar?
    @ASATKat : interesting approach with the chords

17. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Alan L Cole : nearly had overlooked yours! With the two guitars it sounds a little ambient and airy, but there are also moments of intensity in the interplay.

Alan L Cole likes this.
  18. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Nice track...thanks!

19. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

All great stuff! Mjark's was my favorite.

20. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

NWinther- Very nice emotive ride, Niels! Those swells and that tone were spot on.

NWinther likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.