Backing Track Challenge 230 - Knh Backing Track

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Jan 10, 2020.

1. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Now that I'm back from Miami (crewing in the Star Class Midwinters sailing regatta), I'll post my original take on this. We finished 6th out of 36 despite a broken whisker pole in one race (I was a the replacement, human pole) and a plastic bag stuck on our keel in another race that was very difficult to get off.

JCL50, guitarsophist, bgmacaw and 5 others like this.
  2. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Thanks for the track!

Intended to go clean, but couldn't be bothered to change the amp settings :D

JCL50, Mjark, guitarsophist and 6 others like this.
  3. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

@Mjark Great tone. Nice phrasing. Melodic deliver. I like it!

@Raimonds Your high gain tone contrasts nicely with the backer. And your playing is fluid and expressive as always. You sound "big" even while staying nicely tucked within the track. Well-handled breaks, adding to them without overwhelming them (as I often do with my own tracks!)

@JCL50 I enjoyed your reinterpretation of my backer, opening with a it's more laidback feel. And in contrast to your comments, I like your solo work over this. You're playing a melody - a song - not just jamming over something. Very well done.

@bgmacaw I agree with the above comment that this was a nice, relaxing take. An enjoyable listen. I did not think it sounded like stomping over another part. Each part contributes its own thing.

@udoering Tele? I like how it punches through clearly. Not to mention some pretty nice playing! I like your use of touch harmonics. As always, you don't overplay these things, making your contribution to the track feel highly additive.

@fendrguitplayr Lovely tone. Smooth, easy-going playing.

@alainvey Your usual comfortable, natural playing style. I always enjoy the expression in each note you play, which lines up nicely to the track you're playing to.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to play over my track. I've really enjoyed playing with each and every one of you. And thank you @Mellencaster for posting it.

You can find all the parts separatetly here on my SoundCloud as a set under "A New Day - all the parts"

JCL50, udoering and Raimonds like this.
  4. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Nice! I like those old Schecters and built a clone a few years back. It's one of my go-to guitars.

Alan L Cole and bgmacaw like this.
  5. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks, Kevin for your time effort making these tracks. I'll admit this wasn't easily done on my behalf made two separate tracks and with guitars at different times. clam and sorts are the usual themes.

JCL50, Mjark, guitarsophist and 3 others like this.
  6. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

I'm late but here is mine. Thanks Kevin:

guitarsophist, Mjark, bgmacaw and 2 others like this.
  7. Mellencaster

@Mjark- Effective ambient tone all through and very nice playing, it really sounded bigger from the original backer.
    @Raimonds - Your delay is very desirable, lovely dynamic interplay with the backer and very nice phrasing.
    @JCL50 - Lovely work on redoing the backer, very nice lead give and take with the track, it reminds me of the Stones in parts.
    @bgmacaw - I quite liked the phaser and very nice lines played. Sweet Strat bg
    @udoering - Lovely tone as always. You interact well with the backer and found your sonic space, expressively played.
    @fendrguitplayr -.Very nice tone and sweet laid melodic phrasing all through.
    @knh555- Very nicely mixed with your lead playing and expressively played. Cool to hear how the track was envisioned.
    @alainvey - Very nice lines all through and I quite enjoyed your tone with the throaty sound.
    @Alan L Cole - Nice double guitar track! Melodic and expressive interplay amongst the two guitars.

Alan L Cole, JCL50 and udoering like this.
  8. Alan L Cole

@Mjark - I didn't recognize your playing here Mark. Nice change up, tone, fx and playing.
    @Raimonds - Beautiful phrasing, tone and touch Raimonds!
    @JCL50 - Love your song pic! Nice work on the backing guitar and beautiful, emotive playing. Nice percussive track too. Awesome!
    @bgmacaw - Pretty phrasing BG. Sounds like you're playing within it.
    @udoering - Beautiful tone Ulrich and delicate phrasing. Nice double stops too.
    @fendrguitplayr - She's pretty Mike. Sweet tone and melodic phrasing!

JCL50 and udoering like this.
  9. Alan L Cole

@knh555 - Touching melodic playing Kevin. Sweet phrasing. Thanks for the nice backer.
    @alainvey - Nice tone, dynamics and emotive phrasing. Sweet!
    @Mellencaster - Nice pacing Mike. Nice emotive playing and good use of attack/dynamics. Sweet ride.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  10. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@knh555 : I wouldn´t have thought that a distorted sound would work with this bt, but it does! Nice expressive playing. To your question: yes, Tele with (fat sounding) Cavalier pickups.
    @alainvey : I never would have thought that you played this until 3:00. Love your playing in the deep registers.
    @Mellencaster : you also found a good sonic space with your clean sound. Good melodic playing. Did you change the panning of your guitar?
    @Alan L Cole : +1 on Mike´s comment. It sounds best when one guitar plays slow lines and the other one fast ones.

Alan L Cole likes this.
  11. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I spent too much time on the gypsy jazz track so I didn't spend much time on this. I think it is a new genre: ambient country. Agile neck pickup, then bridge. I seem to find the Agile LP in my hands a lot lately.

12. guitarsophist

@Mjark - Nice swirling delay effect and perfect tone to go with it! I'm up in the clouds.
    @Raimonds - That thick sound works well too. Nice lines with the changes.
    @JCL50 - Your version of the track is more laid back and has more space in it. Nice! I have learned a lot about Reaper from doing these backing tracks. If you keep doing stuff, you even remember the stuff you've learned.
    @bgmacaw - The phaser sounds sweet on this! Nice lines too.
    @udoering - Nice clean tone that fits well with the track. Nice touch, so good tone.
    @fendrguitplayr - Sounds like a strat. The squeaky clean sound with just a touch of delay is perfect for this.

JCL50, Raimonds and udoering like this.
  13. guitarsophist

@knh555 - Interesting tone, stinging but also singing. Very cool. Lots of meditative space in this take.
    @alainvey - The high gain sound works well. Very musical! Very relaxed natural feel. Maintains interest.
    @Mellencaster - I only hear one guitar track. Did you blend two takes together? It sounds good. The tone works well with the track.
    @Alan L Cole - I like the two guitar lines. And the delay makes it sound like there are four guitars! The backing track gets a little lost in the mix though.

Alan L Cole likes this.
  14. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@guitarsophist : I like your down to earth playing that brings happy and melancholic touches to me. You are telling a story.

15. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

@knh555 like Mike said, Cool to hear how the track was envisioned.
    @alainvey I liked your tone and your playing throughout.
    @Mellencaster Nice tone and emotive playing
    @Alan L Cole nice tone but sorry, it's a little too busy for me (the backing track was already very busy imho)
    @guitarsophist I enjoyed your track. I was thinking of JJ Cale sort of attitude.

16. Mellencaster

I did the first few minutes with one guitar and continued the second the day after with a another guitar .

17. Alan L Cole

That's cool JC. Someone else mentioned that the backer got lost during that track - both valid observations. Thanks for the listen and comments.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.