Backing Track Challenge 220 - Pop

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Nov 1, 2019.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Tender clean start then the growling tone from bridge 'bucker. Nice!

JCL50 likes this.
  2. Mikejazz

Mikejazz TDPRI Member

@Alan L Cole
    I recorded mine without hearing anyone and i had a big smile when i heard your intro...we had a very similar idea :)
    I enjoyed the listen, specially the fast licks and runs and all the emotion you poured into the play, with the soulful bends and overall feel.

Alan L Cole likes this.
  3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Cool slide riffs and melancholy vibe.

Great tone with cool plank spankin' and screamin' demon phrasing throughout.

@Mellencaster - I noticed this was called "Wake Me Up" - is this an actual cover song backing?

4. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's the name of the track at wikiloops. What is cool about getting a track from wikiloops is their multiple variations of track remix and for example, this base track instrument is the piano and all other instruments are built of that composition.

5. Mikejazz

Mikejazz TDPRI Member

@udoering - Gorgeous mellow tone and heartfelt restrained melodic lines. + on the doublestops.
    @Mellencaster - Nice harmonics intro and throaty dark tone to begin, boosting at 1:41 for a bolder sound on those singing melodies. Liked the space between phrases, a skill not easy to achieve.
    @Mjark - Loved the twangy chords and sweet cleaner tone for the pleasing bluesy lines.
    @fenderguitplyr - Like that fenderish clean tone and the sparkling lines, ponctuated with tasty doublestops.
    @JCL50 - Lovely tone and fingerpicked notes ? Delicate feel on the melodies, full of dynamics and embelishments.
    @bgmacaw - Oh i love slide guitar and admire those who can master it. A winner choice for this unexpected, yet quite pleasing take.

JCL50, udoering and Mellencaster like this.
  6. Mellencaster

Mikejazz Very nicely played Mike. Love the light growl of the p90, sounds sweet.

Mikejazz likes this.
  7. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

G-52, NWinther, bgmacaw and 6 others like this.
  8. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

@Mikejazz - Great minds think alike Miguel. :) Like your range of dynamics, tone and cool rifferaging. I used P90s on mine as well. Nice track!

Mikejazz likes this.
  9. Mellencaster

guitarsophist Very light and sweet, indeed. The phrasing and tone add to the feel to your track. Very good take.

10. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

@guitarsophist - Very nice track. Sweet tone and playing. For what it's worth, I'd move to SoundCloud if you have no objections to SoundCloud. I think your tracks postings might be overlooked using a WordPress URL

11. guitarsophist

Yeah, I should check out Soundcloud. I see that is what everyone else is using. I have had my guitarsophist.com blog for many years and I have put lots of jams, tracks, songs, experiments, and reviews up there, so that is what I am used to doing and my friends look for stuff there. But I'll check it out. Thanks for the kind words!

12. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Mellencaster : lovely tone, nice melodic playing with beautiful expressive, dynamic passages. You are transporting emotions here.
    @Mjark : a quite different approach. I like the vibrato rythm and the clean solo guitar, making use of the dynamic range.
    @fendrguitplayr : and another way of playing this. The bt and your country-orientated playing style go well together. But I also hear fine melody lines that sounf like a vocel line from different styles.
    @JCL50 : nice opening riff, varied in the following; creative note choice, expressive playing - a nice track!
    @bgmacaw : emotive slide playing, very nice!
    @Mikejazz : what to say - well played, nice sound. When reading "Cornford preset" I exspected a more rock orientated track; but it just sounded fine. The short fast note sequences give your track a vibe of jumping out of joy. I like how you clean up the guitar and your use of octaves.
    @guitarsophist : lovely delicate playing, sounds sometimes like a vocal line.

13. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

@Mjark nice relax atmosphere. arpeggios at the begining sound good.
    @fendrguitplayr nice clean tone.
    @bgmacaw nice slide playing. To my taste, there is a little too much compressor.
    @Mikejazz great playing. nice dynamics. nice array of techniques used to a very enjoyable take.
    @guitarsophist nice track with soft playing and clean sound.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  14. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

I love the pickups that came stock with the baja 60s: Fender american vintage 52 in the neck and american vintage 58 in the bridge.

RadioFM74, Mjark and fendrguitplayr like this.
  15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

- Objective met. As is your mellow take.

- Slide contrasts with the piano very pleasantly.

- Nice dynamic range. I liked the octaves.

16. Mikejazz

Mikejazz TDPRI Member

@guitarsophist - Gorgeous clean tone out of the strat. Liked the delicate way you played this one.

17. guitarsophist

As usual, I got behind on listening:

@udoering - Creates a very easy comfortable mood. Very nice tone.
    @Mellencaster - The overdriven tone sounds very appropriate and the whole track has a pleasant natural and relaxed feel.
    @Mjark - Cool arpeggios! I like the clean tones at the beginning and then the slightly overdriven tone after. It all comes together.
    @fendrguitplayr - It is interesting that players have chosen a wide range of tones for this, from overdriven to clean. I also chose clean, but they all work. Great clean tele tone on this!
    @JCL50 - Nice opening melody! Then it develops and grows from there. Nice pulloffs.
    @bgmacaw - The slide fits well with the track too. Sometimes sounds like a pedal steel.
    @Mikejazz - Great melody and great tone! Fusion/Pop!

G-52, udoering, Mikejazz and 3 others like this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I was trying for a David Lindley like sound so I had the Tone Corset smushing things a bit. His tone is one I try for but I'm still working on it (I just need one more piece of gear...)

19. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Meister

This one had kind of an 80's vibe to it to me, so had to invoke position 2 on the Tele -
    Bridge & Middle for that "quack" tone. Fralin Blues Special on the bridge, Texas Special in the middle.

G-52, RadioFM74, JCL50 and 7 others like this.
  20. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Meister

@Alan L Cole - very lovely tone here. Really liking what you did. Very tasty playing. Soft & subtle in places to attitude and every thing in between. Great take.

@udoering - another great track with very nice tone and playing. Like the double stops around the 1:50 mark

@Mellencaster - very nice harmonics in the intro. I sure like the sound of your guitar here. Very big and bold tone. Can really feel the emotion around the 2:18 mark. Great attitude all the way thru.

@Mjark - great strat sound. Like the different approach with the tremolo, then the other guitar coming in with the fat mellow tone. Very nice chords at the 1:42 mark.

@fendrguitplayr - great raw tone on the Tele - has Fender all over it! Like the licks you did at around 1:23. Good playing all the way thru.

@JCL50 - starting on the neck pickup with a fantastic tone and subtle playing. Then switching to the bridge pickup and turning the attitude up! Killer!

@bgmacaw - keel sliding. Made me think of Jackson Browne David Lindley.

@Mikejazz - nice articulate playing, great tone and attitude. The Paul Jr really sings! Great take.

@guitarsophist - cool Strat playing. Came across just as you intended - light and sweet. Another great take.

ps. - I don't listen to the postings before I take a shot at these. I wait until after I upload mine. But it's always cool when I hear similar ideas (almost identical at times) in the other postings. I definitely heard a lot of the same ideas I had here on these takes.

JCL50, udoering, Alan L Cole and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.