Backing Track Challenge 218 - Acoustic Slow Country Blues

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think so!

guitarsophist likes this.
  2. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

Payback time. Phew, here goes:
    @Mellencaster - warm and clear alt-country stylings throughout
    @bgmacaw - nice subtle tremolo hiding back there. Great round room-vibe with strong lows and highs
    @knh555 - strat-o-riffic plucky fingerpicking. And the wiggle stick is working well. Loved the scale leaps and doublestops.
    @udoering - dreamy trem and verb combination. Love how it splits into two guys trading off, but *maybe* could use a bit more separation in the mix
    @NWinther - nice use of chord tones, and the delay adds a lot to the feel. Like the 'arc of the story' when the distortion kicks in
    @estreet - Bari-good! Nice trem and great reverb dialed in. Liked the doublestops and triad runs later too
    @Mjark - chimey, warm acoustic goodness. The Gibson is sounding great - especially if that's direct from the K&K
    @JCL50 - cool clean country stylings and pedal steel moves. Like the mid-range "tiny tweed" overdrive sound of the 2nd guitar too
    @Alan L Cole - clean and melodic, great sound, and I really like how some of those lines circle around the scale resolves; the way both hands are working in tandem
    @f69tele - classic country themes and moves with a great sound out of the Fralin. Loved the harmonized parts late - a lot!
    @guitarsophist - cool sound and playing. Loved how it almost sounds like a mandolin part in spots - something about the pluckiness of the nylon putting me in mind of the plinkyness of a mandolin (but maybe it's the note choices).

Thanks for the ears, fellas

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  3. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister

Yes, it doesn't have a lot of sustain, so it does take on a mandolin-like quality at times. It goes lower than a mandolin though and doesn't have octave strings. The Yamaha version is only $99 and comes with a nice nylon gig bag. It's a lot of fun for little money. It does take a while to get used to the small fretboard, however.

I sometimes take it to the park and noodle around sitting on a bench. People always stop and ask me what it is.

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

It is.

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Late to the party but noodled this out quickly. Have to rush, be back later to listen to others.

Mikejazz, G-52, JCL50 and 7 others like this.
  6. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Hi guys, My audio interface has stopped working, which is making taking part somewhat difficult. I need to return it to Focusrite, but they haven't given me a returns number yet. Meanwhile, I bought a cheap replacement off ebay, which was supposed to arrive Thursday. When it still hadn't arrived Friday night, I raised a ticket with ebay. Yesterday, I got a message from ebay to say it had been posted and would be with me this coming Thursday! I'm really not happy about any of this. :mad:

G-52 and Mellencaster like this.
  7. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister

I listened to these as they came in, but I didn't have time to review them, so I went back and listened again. Lots of good takes!

@Mellencaster - Mellow, relaxed, and peaceful. Good feeling!
    @bgmacaw - You always have such interesting tones. The sliding chords work well for this track.
    @knh555 - Country strat, luscious reverb, and whammy bar. Such a great combination!
    @udoering - I like the floating ethereal guitar in discussion with the aggressive, angry one.
    @NWinther - It does sound like a story. It builds, gets angry, then mellower.
    @estreet - The baritone sounds great with the reverb. Like Dwayne Eddy!
    @Mjark - Beautiful chimey tones. Is the acoustic miced or is that a piezo?
    @JCL50 - I've never played a bender-equipped guitar but it sure sounds like fun. Nice contrast between the country-flavored bender and the more distorted second guitar.
    @Alan L Cole - Nice change of pace between sustaining notes and chords and then the fast riffs.
    @clayville - Nice tones and some very melodic playing.
    @f69tele - The Fralin pickup sounds glorious and perfectly suits your style.
    @fendrguitplayr - Nice double stop chord melody!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  8. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's

@fendrguitplayr : lovely countryish track with it´s typical note choice and double stops and bendings.
    @simoncroft : hope your devices will enable you soon to take part.
    @clayville : you´re right with the separation. But the clean trem guitar uses both channels, so were to put the other guitar? Maybe that was a wrong decision, but it sure sounds quite good.

fendrguitplayr and simoncroft like this.
  9. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

@clayville : you´re right with the separation. But the clean trem guitar uses both channels, so were to put the other guitar? Maybe that was a wrong decision, but it sure sounds quite good.[/QUOTE]
    I noticed that spread and it's a great effect. Hmmm... if you wanted to, maybe you could just pan that track anyway so the trem wiggle doesn't go all the way to the other guitar's side? Just 20 percent off-center would leave 20 percent clear on the far edge for the other guitar... Or maybe adjust the wet/dry mix of the effect so that the effect is still there but just a little further back (if was created in software)?
    It IS a great sound, and I don't mean to be critical - this was just a thought that occurred to me while listening. I'm a guy who is forever getting lost in (and tweaking) my own mixes, trying to carve out a place for everything within the whole via e.q. + levels + panning + reverb so layers don't step on each other; so each part has a place up/down, left/right, front/back within a mix. At least that's what I think I'm doing when I have the time to fool around with it as just a self-trained hack over the years. :)

NWinther likes this.
  10. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  11. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

@Mellencaster - Nice laid-back Country vibe Mike. Your playing hits it's stride at 2:28 mark and on. Nice!
    @bgmacaw - Like the tremolo and Chime like tone. Nice emotive and paced playing.
    @knh555 - Very nice chordal work and cool bell like tone to some sweet riffin' Kevin
    @udoering - Love the tone, technique and playing on the first guitar track. Dig the second guitar as well Ullrich!
    @NWinther - Nice phrasing and dynamics Niels. Passionate playing and sweet and powerful playing.
    @estreet - Very nice Country vibe on the intro Carl and again at the 1:28 mark. Very impressive stacotto work as well.
    @Mjark - Beautiful tone and playing Mark. Awesome!
    @JCL50 - Nice Country track with that wailin' blues riffin' track. Very cool.
    @

12. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

@fendrguitplayr - tasty cleans, cool doublestops and waterfall runs up and down the scales, Mike

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  13. fendrguitplayr

First of all, thanks for the track, Mike! I liked your country take with the clean riffs and sweet woody tones.

Mellencaster likes this.
  14. fendrguitplayr

Very nice playing and vibe throughout.

15. fendrguitplayr

That Strat has some super cool "quack" tone and what you played reminds me of some Knopfler riffs. Nice!

16. fendrguitplayr

Cool dual guitar take with some county-blues riffs and I like how both guitar tracks compliment each other.

udoering likes this.
  17. fendrguitplayr

Subtle start then at about 1:45" you started with some growling riffage and sounds like you had fun doing it.

NWinther likes this.
  18. fendrguitplayr

Nice vibe from the start and the baritone sounds very cool here. Very cool pickin' at the 2:15" mark.

19. fendrguitplayr

Nice choice with the acoustic with K&K pup. It really fits well for this backer and your playing is real fine as well. Nice woody tone!

20. fendrguitplayr

Lots of nice twists and turns while listening to your take. Creative country blues!

JCL50 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.