Backing Track Challenge 211 - Funk

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

@Mellencaster - Funktastic fun. Cool laid-back jam vibe at the bridge Mike.

@NWinther - Sonic blast out the gate.l and rockin' the funk. Cool outro.

@ASATKat - Kickin' back de funk'. Cool live vibe and double stop fun.

@KennyWTelejazz - Trippin' The Light Fan/Funktastic. Very nice jazz fused blowing. Cool fxs including the horn/sax section!

@simoncroft - Sassy-frat strutin' and funk-in-the-trunk cool groove. Nice!

2. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Thanks buddy, there's G minor pent, and some other chromatics. I'm not really playing scales as much as hanging chromatics on tbe G min pent. It's an ear thing where I'm finally hearing some of the chromatic world. But I also blew it in that I wanted to play some actual Pat Martino lines and I spaced out. I also spaced and recorded the full 8 minutes of the bt a few times. Keeping it shorter meant having to think outside of music because I used volume controls on my guotar and on my Zoom recorder to try and fade out . You can hear me not playing when lowering volumes lol.

I have a ways to go to even get close to Kenny's technique skills. Fast is a state of mind and beliefs about my guitar linitations, beliefs that hold me back.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    KennyWTelejazz likes this.
  3. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

@NWinther - lots of passion and sustain; at an enjoyable pace for my ears
    @ASATKat - minor pentatonic is working well here, especially liked the riffs at 2:30
    @KennyWTelejazz - beautiful use of effects starting with the clean jazz tone; a nice adventure
    @simoncroft - thanks for posting; I heard a relaxed singing tone throughout with just enough funk

KennyWTelejazz and NWinther like this.
  4. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I'm hearing great things...

@udoering – Your tone sits right in with the track and your playing adds a lot of variety that brings out the best in the backing. Nice rhythmic ideas too.

@Mjark – This is very assured, with a great feel for the subtle changes in the backing. You also establish a memorable theme, which is to be applauded.

@fendrguitplayr – Dig the synth-like auto wah and octave divider tones. Gives the track a slightly 'prog jam' kind of feel, where your not sure what's guitar or keys.

@estreet – I reckon the staccato picking you started about 50 seconds in would have been enough alone to get you the gig! Very tight, and a very clever ending.

@bgmacaw – A very clear, vocal tone help you to deliver a succession of melodic and rhythmic ideas.

@Alan L Cole – Intro made me laugh! I like the way you worked the backing, putting the emphasis on different beats to bring variations to the groove.

@G-52 – Your takes are great. I've never heard Country Funk before but you make it work through tight timing and inventive variation.

@knh555 – Quite a 'rocky' approach. Your timing and harmonies are really on the money, bringing something very different to the track.

@Raimonds – This has eery echoes of Frank Zappa's solo on Willie the Pimp (Hot Rats). I like what you did there.

@Mellencaster – Very nice! You were clearly listening closely to the track, so your motifs match the dynamics and rhythms of the music really well.

@NWinther – Full bore at times, but plenty of light and shade were it needs it. You made this work. Nicely done.

@ASATKat – I enjoyed the melodic and harmonic excursions you took on this very much. You add a very organic feel.

@KennyWTelejazz – Whoah! Guitar and synth lines, delivered with an almost George Benson-like fluidity. Great playing and production.

5. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Meister

A little late to the game here, but been wanting to get in on some of this backing track stuff. Enjoy hearing everyone's perspective. Here's mine... not perfect but a lot of fun.

6. KennyWTelejazz

KennyWTelejazz Tele-Meister

Pretty Nice Ullrich , I like the 2 guitar duet approach you used . Your version of this song has a lot of cool variations going on with your leads and melodic content .
    I dig what you did on the intro .W out the I feel so funky and the melodies you played gave it a Spy Thriller type of Vibe . After that section you had some real good tone and nice melodies going on . I dig the fact that you went back to the "Spy Thriller thing" on the songs outro ...
    It sounds like you are having fun . Both the auto wah and the octave lower sounds are classic funk types of sounds genre wise . I applaud you for using them tones and going there

Love it ! Great stuff going on here. Lot's of pic harmonics sure made me smile .

all the best ,

Kenny

udoering likes this.
  7. KennyWTelejazz

I can hear you phrased all you lead melodies as if they were vocal lines in rhythmic sync as what a singer would sing ...nice ,simple, and effective good job.
    Yours kinda reminds me a little bit of the Isley Brothers types of guitar tones .
    Yeah , Heavy sustain mixed in w a percussive attack w a lot of modulation flange and phase type of ambient sounds mixed in for good measure ..cool stuff .
    I gave the 211b one a listen . Yeah you had a nice retro swing groove going on w your melodies .Early Jump Blues kinda ....good tone . I also enjoyed when you did the double stop 6 th's . that was a nice touch .
    I really like what you did on the last third of the song . Yeah it sound like a guitar double solo at first , then the next thing you know you have a whole melodic mini guitar orchestra going on . cool idea .

all the best ,
    Kenny

G-52, estreet and Alan L Cole like this.
  8. KennyWTelejazz

Ssshhh , don't tell anybody , ( wink ) it always sounds good when you don't know what to play ...
    "That' s my motto and It usually works for me LOL ...

All kidding aside it sounded good too me and I enjoyed your guitar playing .

Jumping around here due to what posts I can quote ...
    I liked what you did .Nice clean tone . Your playing on this had a nice crossover country type of foundation that you adapted for the funky groove ...I also enjoyed when you hit the double / triple and multi guitar parts ...very nice

all the best,
    Kenny

Raimonds and f69tele like this.
  9. KennyWTelejazz

Your tone has a nice chirp going on with the way your picking affects the tone.
    Clean ? more like a nice expressive edge too it . this was a good listen , I dug how you played to the song and added too it .
    BTW thanks for this weeks B T

I like what you did from 1:08 on ....it gelled more with the track and it sounded like you were dialed in to the song with your playing .

Nice melodies you played at the 1:18 mark and onward ... I almost wished I didn't read the next post about the Sitar post you mentioned ...
    I wound up getting distracted listening for those type of sounds .
    in the end I still dug a lot of what you played.

Oh Yeah , Very nice simple roots style type of chordal playing going on here. Very rhythmic and energetic. I can't say I'm a 100% down with your Cliff Hanger Ending ( wink )
    I was getting in deep grooving along with your lead melodies and the next thing I know the song ended so fast I thought I was in the back seat of the car with Thelma and Louise as they jumped The Grand Canyon ..it's all good .....

all the best,

Kenny

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 5:30 AM
    simoncroft, Mellencaster and G-52 like this.
  10. KennyWTelejazz

I would like to thank each and every person who commented on my playing on this weeks backing track . I did enjoy myself playing over this track and I had a good time listening to all your playing on your versions of the tune .. I've been trying to catch up with the posts in this thread tonight and I have been at it for a while .
    I have read each and every comment and post
    If I can find the time to come back I will thank each and every one of you individually...
    until then

thank you all ,

Kenny

NWinther, udoering, G-52 and 3 others like this.
  11. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

@f69tele – What a great take! Creating your own intro always adds a touch of class and this is no exceptiion. What follows is so confidently phrased, the band is following you. Very cool tones as well as use of harmonies.

f69tele likes this.
  12. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Meister

Thank you, thank you! Sure appreciate the encouraging words. Tone is Bridge and Neck in series. Harmonies are always a nice challenge as well.

simoncroft and getbent like this.
  13. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

f69tele I miss your track, I apologize. Welcome, and what a great first track to share with us. Tone and harmonies were dead on and we've had our share Texans join in here through the many years this has had been going on, I swear you all were born with guitars in hand.

f69tele and simoncroft like this.
  14. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

It was either on here or Strat-Talk that someone posted about the day they were on the same festival bill as Johnny Winter. Just before they were about to go on, the man himself came over and said: "Play it big. You're from Texas."

How cool is that!? :)

f69tele and Mellencaster like this.
  15. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Cool and very believable.

16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've listened to everyone's version there are some really inspired takes.

NWinther likes this.
  17. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Meister

Thank you so much. Glad to join in and “contribute” so to speak, to what’s going on here in Twanger Central. It is very interesting/inspiring to hear all the creative ideas that are posted here with these tracks. Look forward to being a part of it as often as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fendrguitplayr and NWinther like this.
  18. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Super with all those takes :) Loads of good and interesting stuff.

19. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Here is a cleaner and jazzier take. No space jam stuff. A little Martino can go a long way.

Jazz Funk

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 2:44 PM
  20. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Nice tone and riffs a la Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.