BackAxe - backpack type harness for hardshell case

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by telel6s, Jan 21, 2020.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I live in suburbia. 99% of the places I play - from gigs to jams with beer at friends' houses - are in suburbia. But every so often I get into the city or inner-suburbia where there is not parking right in front of my final location where carrying my guitar for several blocks is not difficult but kind of inconvenient.

I have a good hard shell case for my Gibson acoustic. I googled around to see if there is some way to add backpack straps to the case and found BackAxe for just $45 vs. $150-$200 for a quality soft case with straps.

http://www.backaxe.com/
    https://www.elderly.com/products/backaxe-instrument-case-backpack

[​IMG]

Has anybody used this or something similar? I started out thinking I could make something like this (replacement shoulder straps are about $15 plus some webbing straps and buckles) but buying it pre-made may be worthwhile if a bit more expensive.

I have an entry level RoadRunner soft case for my inexpensive Seagull acoustic and cheap semi-hollow electric but do not trust it with my Gibson. In addition to my guitar, I also carry a small bag with music, cords and a couple of pedals. That small bag currently goes on my back as I hand-carry the guitar but I was thinking it would be easier to switch the two around as I do when carrying my Tele in a soft bag.

If I were to somehow start getting regular gigs where carrying the guitar on my back made sense, then I'd let those gigs pay for a good soft case. But at the moment it's just looking for some convenience.

Thanks for any feedback you may have.

2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have no idea how it will work but I can see why you’d try. Just note that the case will be heavier and less comfortable than a gig bag and slower to get your guitar out of, since you have to remove the harness from the case.

If you go this route be sure to wipe the underside of the case or you may get lots of dirt on your back. Oh and don’t wear light coloured clothing in case the color of the case bleeds in the rain or with sweat.

3. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought a TRIC case with my Godin. Best case I’ve ever had, and one of the reasons is that it has straps. I think that’s a good idea for cases that don’t. I use gig bags occasionally, but for my acoustics, I would rather keep them in a hard case. If I trip, and fall down with my solid body, a gig bag will mostly protect it. I don’t like to think about that happening with an acoustic.

4. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Oh, cool. I was searching for the wrong type of gig bag/case. The TRIC and other rigid foam cases are under Cases and not Gig Bags at retailers and on-line searches. There are a couple of other similar options. These are more expensive than those straps I posted about but not terribly so and probably a better overall solutions.

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.