Back to the Sunrise pickup

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
Back to a Sunrise pickup in the 00-15. There really is no substitute. I was using a Fishman Blackstack for the last couple yrs which is the best I found as an alternative, but just ain’t there.

This year Jim is building 500 units (down from 1k) and the price is,.. substantial,.. $530 for the pickup, $468 for the buffer box!!!

Glad I bought mine over 20 yrs ago.
4DFE3147-3847-4731-A245-66D33383DA30.jpeg

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted
I have one in a drawer. I need to put it back in a guitar. I used it in my main guitar for a number of years. I used a Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box with it, which I still have.

Last edited:

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve read good things about the Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box. Wonder how it compares to the Sunrise buffer box.
I had the Sunrise SB-1 buffer box. I preferred the Sarno and sold the Sunrise. The Sarno works great on electric guitars, too. It sort of fattens them up in a really clean cool way. With the variable impedance knob on it, you can dial to taste. I run just about everything through it.

Before the world tilted on its axis, I was playing in the local university's Community Jazz Group. We were practicing in a small room on campus, and I didn't want to take a heavy amp because I often had to park and walk a ways. I used my little Vox Adio Air and the Sarno box, and it was very cool. I could carry them both in one small carry bag.

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm thinking of Jim Kaufman as the Dumble of the acoustic pickup world. He goops the pickup so you can't see anything, can't disassemble. I know that a "secret" pickup builders technique is to hide metal in the pickup to increase inductance which increases dynamic range (I understand). That's the reason (I'll bet) that the Sunrise is relatively heavy.