Back To The Iridium

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
Any of you guys know, factually, if the iridium has superior dsp?
The chip itself isn't anything to write home about, but the Iridium isn't doing the same amount of work as a full-blown multi-effects unit and doesn't need as much horsepower.

One thing I've observed with modelers in general is that the speaker cabinet model tends to have a lot of impact on how good things sound. Better-quality IRs help a lot. Strymon's in particular are very long for both the speaker and room, so they've clearly figured that devoting resources to that is worthwhile.

dspellman1

Tele-Meister
The Iridium is a nice piece of gear... and yes, relatively simple to use.

For me though... I still consider my Helix to be the single best gear purchase I've made in 40 years. I've never had an issue creating usable tones on it, and I don't get caught up in menus & options. I guess my brain was wired for how that thing works.
There are just folks who want to turn something on, plug in and play. Simplicity is key.

Like you, I love the Helix and am constantly finding new ways to use it and new sounds to work with. I re-watched Pete Thorn's initial demo of the Helix from about six-seven years ago and found new things to try, and that was just a couple of days ago.

Caffiend

TDPRI Member
Also worth considering how things work internally. Eg; the Tonemasters have four DSP cores, 1 dedicated to the amp model itself, 1 to the cab emulation for the DI and 2 for the reverb model.

I've gone the floor modelling route after decades in tube land and ended up with a Tonemaster DR and a big analogue pedal board. It's my happy place. I can totally understand that needing to cover many styles or do quick setup and breakdown would very much favour dropping a floor unit and plugging into it instead 🙂

Caevan O'Sh!te

TDPRI Member
I agree, particularly with taking pedals. I wish the ”Round” (deluxe reverb) has a little more sparkle and drive.

I love hitting the Iridium's amp-models with pedals like my Keeley 'Retro Super Germanium Phat Mod' or Fulltone CS Ranger (germanium Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster based). Either of those'll get you a little more sparkle and drive- with plenty more on-tap! The Iridium gets along VERY well with them!

Attachments

• Keeley Retro Super High Gain Germanium Phat Mod on Reverb.jpg
    Keeley Retro Super High Gain Germanium Phat Mod on Reverb.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Fulltone CS-Ranger.png
    Fulltone CS-Ranger.png
    253.1 KB · Views: 16

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I love hitting the Iridium's amp-models with pedals…….. The Iridium gets along VERY well with them!
Oh I agree totally. I goose mine with a Mythos Mjolnir or my KOT. I just think the Round model on the Iridium should have more native drive.
Regardless, I’ve decided against the new UAFX pedals for now. I almost let the hype seduce me. I’m sticking with the Iridium.

bigjohnbates

Tele-Meister
i like the idea of simplicity as well, i kept the 3 pedals i need to get my basic tone out of any amp for backup. But after finding the HX Stomp equivalent of each of my other pedals (and the big 3) i sold the rest. The Stomp XL is a cleaner setup and tonally so close that i cant tell. Except when the Stomp is actually better.

That said it took me months to sort it out and the IRs i downloaded were the gamechanger. I would not have been satisfied without them. That said i am still tweaking my favourite 4 basic sounds a little bit whenever i play...

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Oh I agree totally. I goose mine with a Mythos Mjolnir or my KOT. I just think the Round model on the Iridium should have more native drive.
Regardless, I’ve decided against the new UAFX pedals for now. I almost let the hype seduce me. I’m sticking with the Iridium.

Hey, frijoles! I get the convenience of going direct to PA from the Iridium. For the majority of gigs I’ve done/will do, l only bring along the tubes for my pleasure; only a tiny, tiny percent of audience care a whiff or perceive any difference. It’s for me…

But at home, what speaker out put do you run the Iridium into? I have speaker cabs for guitar amps, but those run at guitar amp level and use speaker cable input.

Asking for a friend…I love hauling my ‘70 Bassman head with 2x15 cab to gigs, but also, perhaps I am old and such…

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
But at home, what speaker out put do you run the Iridium into?
I actually only use it for DI recording directly into my interface (Focusrite Scarleett 212) feeding Logic. As a result I only hear it through my monitors (Yamaha HS50) or the interface's headphones. I haven't even considered obtaining any FRFR speakers or similar.
I am going to upgrade my studio monitors but it won't be a big upgrade so the woofers will likely 8" at most.
I spent more time with in the last few days trying to dial in some tones. I finally created a "favorite". It gives me exactly what I need, a great clean to edge of breakup tone and a platform my pedals. I have also found some very good settings for the Chime model. I am still playing with the Punch (Marshall) model. Honestly, using a DLS pedal with in my Favorite setting gives me all the Marshall I need.
I have concluded that the UAFX are unnecessary because the Iridium more than sufficient for my humble needs.

Caevan O'Sh!te

TDPRI Member
I’ve decided against the new UAFX pedals for now. I almost let the hype seduce me. I’m sticking with the Iridium.

I have concluded that the UAFX are unnecessary because the Iridium more than sufficient for my humble needs.

Honestly, when I listened to a few demo videos, I didn't like them as much as the Iridium...

I noticed only very recently, that Strymon states that they based the Iridium's "Round"/Fender model specifically on the Normal Channel of '60s Fender Deluxe Reverb amps...

Strymon: "We chose the Deluxe’s Normal channel for its round tone that plays well with pedals."

That may at least partially explain a perceivable need for more sparkle and drive!

Last edited:

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Strymon states that they based the Iridium's "Round"/Fender model specifically on the Normal Channel of '60s Fender Deluxe Reverb amps...

Strymon: "We chose the Deluxe’s Normal channel for its round tone that plays well with pedals."

Thanks. That makes sense. Like I said, I'm okay with it now. I've got a Round model tweaked for my stored "Fav" setting. It's great for everything and works extremely well with my drive pedals. I've also found several good settings for the Chime model. I just need to find a couple of good settings for the Punch model and I'm set.
I'm still intrigued by the UAFX pedals but not nearly as much as I was. Sometime I think we're splitting hairs in search of our "ideal" tones.

gonzo

Tele-Meister
i've done an entire album using NOTHING but the Iridium
for all guitars,
and bass.

a wonderful recording tool,
i also have it setup to drive the front end of a '82 Mesa boogie Mark IIb head and various cabs...
that, is a wonderful sound... using the marshall superlead, thru a NULL IR, and into the boogie running 6l6's...
very cool.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm curious whether you guys have tried Atomic Amps Amplifire stuff
I've had an Amplifire 3 for almost three years now.

I like it a lot, but I've only used it with headphones, and it's my only (significantly recent) modeler purchase.

Despite having a tiny screen, I find that the navigation process is pretty straightforward. I really don't like screens or menus with my guitar gear - even most of my old rack gear from decades ago was typically menu-less.

I don't build complex patches with mine, since I don't care about using any of the built in effects or anything like that. I just wanted it to replicate some specific tube amp and cab/speaker sounds as closely as possible. I really just wanted the best sounds I could get, with silent playing.

I think there's like 4 or 5 patches (tops) that I use. They're all mostly older to maybe not so old Marshall models, or Marshall-like clones (I think one is a Friedman of some type). I think one of them is called 'Ultimate Plexi'. I just tweak the gain, EQ, and level, and then save into the existing patch.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've had an Amplifire 3 for almost three years now.

I like it a lot, but I've only used it with headphones, and it's my only (significantly recent) modeler purchase.

Despite having a tiny screen, I find that the navigation process is pretty straightforward. I really don't like screens or menus with my guitar gear - even most of my old rack gear from decades ago was typically menu-less.

I don't build complex patches with mine, since I don't care about using any of the built in effects or anything like that. I just wanted it to replicate some specific tube amp and cab/speaker sounds as closely as possible. I really just wanted the best sounds I could get, with silent playing.

I think there's like 4 or 5 patches (tops) that I use. They're all mostly older to maybe not so old Marshall models, or Marshall-like clones (I think one is a Friedman of some type). I think one of them is called 'Ultimate Plexi'. I just tweak the gain, EQ, and level, and then save into the existing patch.
Yeah I knew I wouldn't be able to vibe with the smaller units, so I got this one
1657202977196.png

I like it quite a bit.

Any multi can give you great verbs, delays, and swirlies these days.
Driven sounds, notsomuch (looking at YOU, PodGO).
AmpliFire delivers.

Patshep

TDPRI Member
I like the iridium. I still haven't even read the manual or tried different IRs. I need to do that soon. The recordings I've been making sound really nice

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Intuitive use is an important feature that many of these things don't focus enough on

I'm curious whether you guys have tried Atomic Amps Amplifire stuff
I had an Amplifirebox. It was my first true modeler. I liked it, but the Helix LT was definitely an upgrade. Currently, I'm using a Hotone Ampero II. I'm really happy with it. I created a preset that works for everything from light edge of breakup to hard rock. It is my favorite modeler thus far. Touch screen and a PC app make it easy to work with.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I like the iridium. I still haven't even read the manual or tried different IRs. I need to do that soon. The recordings I've been making sound really nice

I finally downloaded a couple from the Strymon IR Manager. I‘m using two of them. I still haven’t loaded any of the ones I purchased from Own Hamer but will likely a couple soon.
I’m going to buy the footswitch so I can save more than one favorite then i’ll be set.
I considered the new UA pedals but I’m more than happy with the Strymon

gonzo

Tele-Meister
i use my strymon iridium both direct,
and as a preamp into the front end of my mesa boogie.

strymon has a FAQ page on the iridium,
and there, they give away two free IR's that are specifically for bypassing the 'IR' cabinet filter, by using an IR that is either MONO or STEREO, it is called "NULL", and with this in place, you can output a line level into the FX return or front end of any amp.

i use my clean channel on the boogie, into one of 5 different cabs i have, usually choose the marshall superlead model, and suddenly i have the DNA of the superlead, but tweaked with the boogie preamp (running clean, of course) and the 6L6 power section of the boogie...
that is a sweet combination.

i can play as loud as i want,
use the boogie/cab setup as 'the monitor' or mic it up and blend it with a regular IR in the other slot (again, i'm using a NULL MONO ir to output from the iridium to the boogie)

the iridium at that point becomes the 'preamp', and i have a live rig that absolutely rocks at volume.

there are so many options...
and i mostly use the models as a basis for tone, choosing to use my pedalboard to craft the final tones.

works incredibly well, and is dead simple and quick to use and setup.

Jbnaxx

Tele-Holic
I have resisted getting an Iridium several times as well as the Boss IR 200. I settled on a Quilter SuperBlock US so I could use it with a conventional guitar cab. The SBUS is closer to a normal amp setup, but probably not as many amp/cab options. I like the Quilter a lot.

We are fortunate to live in a time with so many good options.

Jbnaxx

Tele-Holic
Does it come with cabinet emulations or IRs?
It has a 3 position switch to select cab emulations for the XLR out and headphone out, but it doesn’t affect the speaker out.
Not a world of options like a digital rig but it works for me…. I tend to get lost in too many options.