Back to the Fuzz question again

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axis29, Apr 22, 2008.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Just jumping into this discussion, has anyone tried the Subdecay Flying Tomato Mutant Fuzz? In addition to having a really cool name, I like the sound of the clips on the website (taking all web clips with a big grain of salt). The way the bias knob seems to allow for nice smooth sustained fuzz or that sputtery blown speaker amp about to fall apart sound. I've only found a couple of short reviews of it although some of the other Subdecay pedals (Liquid Sunshine, Stupid Box) seem to have their fans.

Thanks for any info.

Also, I used to have the SD Tweak Fuzz. I think it was a nice introduction to fuzz with the different settings available but I never really bonded with it. One of those things where too many options make it more difficult to find one or two sounds you want to use..

2. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

Their Back...............McFuzz's are really great, mine was a hybrid, I need to find a GE to try
    http://www.pedalworx.com/
    Bob McBroom is building again

Hey BB...you know I love FUZZ !!!!!!

GE's are still my favs but I have tried many others as well here are a few more names to consider:
    Aramat Mojo Fuzz...really good GE fuzz not expensive
    Baja Tech.Das Fuzz....gets great reviews...just found one in a store for cheap, gonna have to go back and snag it....I'll report back on it
    SIB Butt Face, Sweetsound Monterey (excellent) Addrock Germanium (also killer)
    Right now I am using a BYOC GE that I found for $30. It really gives me what I want out of fuzz....early Cream, ZZ, cleans up well, stacks well with other drives.....handbuilt and cheap......
    hope this helps
    yo BB, check your mailbox this week............

3. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

list of fuzzes

try them all.....each one has it's place.............

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  4. markophonic

markophonic Tele-Afflicted

My McFuzz was a prototype from 2002.

It was sent back to Bob in 2005 and had an LED and 9v Power jack installed.

He also installed some NOS transistors he had aquired that he thought were better than what was originally in there.

I guess if you could love a pedal then this would be it for me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i've got a Baja Tech Das Fuzz . it is a great 60's sounding fuzz. worth a try if you can get your hands on one to demo

6. cbucki

cbucki Tele-Meister

I just came across a shop that has a Boss FZ-2, and FZ-3 the other night, and went home with the FZ-2. No beefs, whatsoever. I sold a Digitech Hendrix in search of something more "pure", and a Vox Wah and this pedal get you there far more naturally.

7. freddie

freddie Tele-Meister

Dunlop Jimi Hendrix classic Fuzz, the small red one.

freddie

8. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have the Voodoo Lab Superfuzz and absolutely love it. It's a Bosstone clone at heart, but it's much more than that. It's the only fuzz box on my board (I don't have an OD) and I use it for every sound I need, from overdrive to nasty buzz to near-Big Muff throaty growl.

I guess I'm skeptical of high-priced fuzz boxes that emulate old ones, since the old ones were basically pieces of junk. Obviously the new ones are of much higher build quality, but I still don't want to spend too much on one pedal. I'm also a skeptic when it comes to expensive reissues of guitars that were once sold in the Sears catalog, but that's another story.

I like versatile fuzz pedals, and the Superfuzz does it for me.

9. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

FMA's got this one cornered... get an EH Big Muff PI, or a Vox Tonebender, or a colorsound tonebender, and barring that you might also consider a Boss Fuzz.

Cheers! (and try everything!)

Ward

10. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

11. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, check this one out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtFUY6nikr4&feature=related

I am leaning towards the Voodoo Lbs Superfuzz or the Fultone 70's Pedal (only cause I cannot justify the cost of a 69)

I am gonna have to go back and try the tirfecta up there at Chucks and then also gonna have to find one of those little red Jimi Hendrix for comparison's sake.

12. bluende

bluende TDPRI Member

Should be here sometime this week!

13. Doc

Doc Tele-Afflicted

I like the Huckleberry, Fuzz Head, Top Fuel and Little Big Muff.

14. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

aaaahhhhhhhh "Skreddy's"...the NEW frontier !:D

15. bluende

bluende TDPRI Member

Hey sanhozay,

I got the Hartman NKT275 fuzz and all I can say is WOW! Big range, responsive to volume and attack changes and just that great vintage, sustaining sound. Get one now :D

Here it is on my small board:
    [​IMG]

16. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

A bunch of guys over on TGP are raving about the ThroBak Overdrive Boost; it's based on the Colorsound Overdriver, and will do everything from clean boost to all out silicon fuzz. It looks & sounds pretty cool:

ThroBak Electronics

17. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

rust driver

how do you like that rust driver??? compared it to any of the other marshall peds out there?

18. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

You should check out the Roger Mayer Voodoo One. It's not quite a fuzz pedal but more distortion but with a tweak of the tone knob you get a nice ZZZZZ sound. He also has the "Page One" coming out. Its based on the original fuzz pedal he built for Big Jim Sullivan and his little sidekick Jimmy Page.

19. mojoming

mojoming Tele-Meister

+1 All there stuff is good. I have an Orange Squeezer clone of theirs and a friend I'm very envious of has the Bone Bender. Great sounding fuzz.

20. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

MXR BC108 Silicon Fuzz. Its the new turquoise Hendrix Fuzzface but in a smaller box and a switchable buffer. And its affordable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.