Back to old fashioned forums?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I will agree to disappointment with a lot of my generation too but it reads like you did a good job with your kids and they are carrying that one. As a late age parent who's been leading and mentoring kids stuff for decades I feel pretty good about current youth.
I do tend to judge the world by MY world, but you have to take in account that I live in California. During my life as man and boy, I have seen virtually a heaven on earth turned into something almost unrecognizable from its previous version. For years I wanted to leave, but here I am, and I suppose I will pass from this earth while still residing here.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I will agree to disappointment with a lot of my generation too but it reads like you did a good job with your kids and they are carrying that one. As a late age parent who's been leading and mentoring kids stuff for decades I feel pretty good about current youth.
One of the worst acts we can commit against any generation is to judge the whole by the appearance of a few.

I have done it. But try not to, thinking of the Golden Rule.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
The rich are still profiting off of everyone else, and the planet is dying. Are you living under a rock?

Human rights are under attack worldwide. Do you even read the news? Are you even on the same planet I’m on?
I would like to think not as far under a rock as many.

I'm a big time news junkie, do a lot of community volunteering, and I'm in a director's position in an enterprise size place. I have a lot of awareness of human rights matters via that volunteering, my family split across countries, surviving, and helping directly and indirectly people who've been refugees from war and persecution. I also work at and give to one of the biggest charities in my county and do specific outreach for poor kids and a disabled vets program.

In all that I see the constant pressures, the progress, and I already said in another post today that I try very hard to live pedal to the floor and force optimism.
One of the worst acts we can commit against any generation is to judge the whole by the appearance of a few.

I have done it. But try not to, thinking of the Golden Rule.
See the above. I try hard to not be judgmental, and I'm also pretty neck deep in trying to do okay or well for our species.

Some big problems with my cohort stand out - look at declining age, obesity, and rural poor for examples.

I'm a very imperfect person who always tries to improve myself and surroundings.

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Most of the people who say things are better today, weren't alive when things were really better. I think the world is like a dog pen. One dog in the pen is no problem, two dogs in the pen, and there's going to be a fight once in a while for sure. Put twenty in there, and you're going to have to cart of a dead dog every now and then because the rest of the dogs have ganged up on him. Right now, to me, it seems like there's about two hundred dogs in the world pen, and they're getting hungry.

Most people who think the world was better "back then", lived a very privileged life. The world was definitely not better for the majority of folks. And the further back ya go, the worse it gets.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I'm a very imperfect person who always tries to improve myself and surroundings.
I have heard this described as "doing the next right thing, one act at a time."

It's a good approach for me to take, as I am prone to saying because I screwed up yesterday, what's the point of trying again today? This even applies to improving in music. But that is a poisonous attitude, and the antidote is to start with a clean slate every day.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Most people who think the world was better "back then", lived a very privileged life. The world was definitely not better for the majority of folks.

Now that's me right there, I was from a wealthy sharecropper's farming company. In 1947 my momma and daddy cleared a little over a hundred dollars for the year after the payout. We were positively rolling in dough!

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Most all public/membership social media platforms start out with good intentions: to be a place where like-minded folks can exchange information. It usually does not take too long before the platform management needs to find a balance between providing the service and monetization of the service.

Yeah, I fully understand how maintaining a server and system admin costs money, but very often the owners of the service get a taste of the filthy lucre and things begin to spin out of control. Combine that with human stupidity and the need for moderation--with no penalty for misbehavior save for cancelation of access--and things can go from fun to not fun in short order.

Online hangouts, to me, become like any other business wherein I feel I'm being unfairly treated, taken advantage of, or have no interest in seeing the regulars. When any of this foolishness occurs, I just

GIF-Jack-Lord-Aloha.gif

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I have heard this described as "doing the next right thing, one act at a time."

It's a good approach for me to take, as I am prone to saying because I screwed up yesterday, what's the point of trying again today? This even applies to improving in music. But that is a poisonous attitude, and the antidote is to start with a clean slate every day.
I relate because I'm not a natural as far as good attitude. I feel very fortunate to have some good examples. It is certain to me that marriage and kids help.

:)

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a big time news junkie, do a lot of community volunteering, and I'm in a director's position in an enterprise size place. I have a lot of awareness of human rights matters via that volunteering, my family split across countries, surviving, and helping directly and indirectly people who've been refugees from war and persecution. I also work at and give to one of the biggest charities in my county and do specific outreach for poor kids and a disabled vets program.

In all that I see the constant pressures, the progress, and I already said in another post today that I try very hard to live pedal to the floor and force optimism.

See the above. I try hard to not be judgmental, and I'm also pretty neck deep in trying to do okay or well for our species.

Some big problems with my cohort stand out - look at declining age, obesity, and rural poor for examples.

Most all public/membership social media platforms start out with good intentions: to be a place where like-minded folks can exchange information. It usually does not take too long before the platform management needs to find a balance between providing the service and monetization of the service.

Yeah, I fully understand how maintaining a server and system admin costs money, but very often the owners of the service get a taste of the filthy lucre and things begin to spin out of control. Combine that with human stupidity and the need for moderation--with no penalty for misbehavior save for cancelation of access--and things can go from fun to not fun in short order.

Online hangouts, to me, become like any other business wherein I feel I'm being unfairly treated, taken advantage of, or have no interest in seeing the regulars. When any of this foolishness occurs, I just

GIF-Jack-Lord-Aloha.gif

The monetization is often what kills things. I’ve seen so many different social media platforms come and go, and it seems like a pretty delicate balance.

Social media is also only as good as the user base, and there can be great, small platforms that aren’t nearly as valuable because no one is really using them.

Twitter was mainly useful because so many people were on it, everywhere, that it was, for a while, the best real time news service I’ve ever had access to.

I just joined mastodon and I’m curious how a decentralized, federated form of media will play out compared to the corporately owned things I’ve been on before.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire

Optimism is great, but being oblivious to your relative privilege is not. And looking only at people brought out of poverty and ignoring the grinding poverty worldwide that supports first world lifestyles is not a good look. The current way we are doing things is unsustainable and causes immense suffering.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Optimism is great, but being oblivious to your relative privilege is not. And looking only at people brought out of poverty and ignoring the grinding poverty worldwide that supports first world lifestyles is not a good look. The current way we are doing things is unsustainable and causes immense suffering.
You are not at all understanding me and my knowledge or experience with these topics, and I don't care to have an argument. If you have a similar situation where you've done or do same sort of work and can share or grow my understandings feel free to discuss in a private message because I don't want any stress on the rules or moderators.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

^^^THAT is a good policy.

Too many people try to change the world and get nowhere because it's just bunch of noise. My philosophy is 'think globally but act locally', because everything is connected.

For example, if a person picks up some trash on their street, and some other resident picks up some trash on the street connected to the first street, etc., pretty soon the entire neighborhood is looking pretty good. Neighborhoods are connected and comprise a town, which becomes a city, then a county... [you get the idea].

It's one of the reasons why I like this place (TDPRI). Most all members police themselves to a fairly decent level.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
^^^THAT is a good policy.

Too many people try to change the world and get nowhere because it's just bunch of noise. My philosophy is 'think globally but act locally', because everything is connected.

For example, if a person picks up some trash on their street, and some other resident picks up some trash on the street connected to the first street, etc., pretty soon the entire neighborhood is looking pretty good. Neighborhoods are connected and comprise a town, which becomes a city, then a county... [you get the idea].

It's one of the reasons why I like this place (TDPRI). Most all members police themselves to a fairly decent level.
My wife and I have been policing our neighborhood for almost 15 years. It's something we did at our last home, and the one before that. In the 90s there was an influx of people from Los Angeles to Bakersfield, they brought with them graffiti. It wasn't there before their arrival, and it became prolific after.

Eventually a commission was formed to deal with it, and they've done a pretty good job. In the beginning though the neighborhood had to police itself. I went to a paint company here in town, and explained the situation, and they said they would furnish me all the paint I needed, but it would be gray, and in five-gallon buckets. They charged me five dollars for five gallons.

One stone fence in the area I painted over the graffiti SIXTEEN times, finally one morning I went down to paint it, and they had painted a sign on the fence "you win." I painted over that, and it was the last time I had to do so.

When I was getting ready to sell the house I was living in at the time, I was out policing the area when a guy stopped and asked me what I was doing. I said cleaning up the neighborhood. He said, no way I would do that unless someone was paying me. The thing is, I sold that house for top dollar, and bought the home of my dreams with the proceeds, I DID GET PAID!

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
One stone fence in the area I painted over the graffiti SIXTEEN times, finally one morning I went down to paint it, and they had painted a sign on the fence "you win." I painted over that, and it was the last time I had to do so.

I have a tear in my eye!

It probably all came down to simple economics: you were getting paint a whole lot cheaper than the graffiti kids 😁

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have a tear in my eye!

It probably all came down to simple economics: you were getting paint a whole lot cheaper than the graffiti kids 😁

The paint store was very sympathetic to my mission, I think if I had whined just a little bit more, they would have just given it to me. Just think, the graffiti painters had to go STEAL their paint! ;)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have a tear in my eye!

Another kind of funny story about my clean up stuff. One day, I was hoeing some weeds and putting them in bags and tossing 'em in my pickup truck. A guy comes out of his backyard, and says, did someone hire you to do this, in a sense they had so, I said yes, they did. (I had lived on the block 17 years you'd think he'd have recognized me).

He said how much to clean these weeds out from behind my yard? I said twenty bucks, the guy says I can only afford twelve dollars I said okay. I had planned on cleaning the area anyway when I finished what I was doing. He pulled out twelve dollars and gave them to me, he said I'm gonna trust you to do a good job. In those days I was a drinking man, you can't imagine what you could buy in 1990 for 12 bucks!

TeleBackelaer

Tele-Meister
Now that's me right there, I was from a wealthy sharecropper's farming company. In 1947 my momma and daddy cleared a little over a hundred dollars for the year after the payout. We were positively rolling in dough!
I understand that you felt the need to react to that first sentence, but why not try to be fair and address the rest of his post as well? It makes a lot of sense imo.

On a side note, this is a great thread. I might agree or disagree with some posts, but who cares. There's a lot of interesting information and life lessons to be learnt from this thread.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I understand that you felt the need to react to that first sentence, but why not try to be fair and address the rest of his post as well? It makes a lot of sense imo.
Because I have already stated that those who champion today, did not live during the times I thought, and more than that, believed were better. Now, things are better for certain people, but in general, it was easier for ME to be considered a decent human being then, than it is now. It is so easy to fall into a landmine where you have offended, or somehow wronged someone today, it's just tedious. As Tom Petty sang, No I won't back down, I said what I said, and I meant it.

TeleBackelaer

Tele-Meister
I would be perfectly happy if the Meta and Twitter challenges mean a lot of different forums regain popularity. I would pay for an ad-free Facebook that was a friend and family catch up space. Not sure about Twitter and I hope it doesn't get worse than the mess it has been and I don't mean censorship.

Forums and mail feeds in old school sense are so much more community and flavor - actually communities as I feel this place is.

People should also be doing the old school forums where you leave your home! I still value going to biergarten near our home as an example. I keep up on some club memberships.

Suburban and way many live likely doesn't help. @blowtorch and @bottlenecker have discussed places I know and like where I am really firm thinking most who go there are in the core metro area.
I also feel OP warrants an answer of course. I don't think one detracts from the other. Mind you, I despise what some people throw out on Twitter and the likes, but it's got nothing to do with _what_ they say rather than _how_ they choose to say it. The anonimity of the internet brings out the worst in people. It's actually the reason why I tend to stick to forums: they pull people together that have a common interest.

Does TDPRI ever blow up? Hardly. Why? Because when you register here, you know you register with a community that has at least _one_ thing in common: the love for Teles. And therein lies the problem not only of social media, but of society as a whole: the "us versus them" thing. Us all loving Teles makes you more welcoming to other peoples opinions just because you have something in common. I hate that people think like that, but that's how it works. On social media (FB, Twitter), everybody reacts to everybody. They have nothing in common and if they lack any empathy, they start riling on eachother. It saddens me.

On the other hand, I try to avoid keyboard fighting and am a member of the old school that leaves their home (come on, everybody does that, internet =/= real world) and goes out to grab a beer with any fool that chooses to talk to me.