1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Back to Back - Two gigs in one day

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Big_Bend, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Next Friday we'll be playing the local County Fair from 5pm to 8pm. Then we go literally across the street to the big honky tonk bar and play from 9:30pm to 1:30am. As people are leaving the County Fair that night, those looking to continue the party will go to the honky tonk next door. We expect the place to be hopping packed solid. Should be a lot of fun.

But wow, playing basically from 5pm until 1:30am. Wish us luck.

Anyone ever done back to back gigs in the same day?

2. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

It can be a grind, but just keep imagining the money at the end of the day and you'll do fine!

I used to play bass with one band that did a lot of three gig weekends. We would play a reception on both Friday and Saturday and then an Elks gig Saturday night. All with a move, and a lot of times in different towns. Then I got to wake up and work Sunday morning. Loooooong day.

Justin

3. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

When it was my full time job, I sometimes did 3 in one day if circumstances allowed!

2 in a day wasn't so uncommon in the summer months - enjoy, have a blast.

4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

When I was doing it for a living, I never turned ANYTHING down, so I had several 3-a-days, lots of doubles. Still have the occasional double, like this last Saturday. Keeps your chops up!

5. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah. The Saturday before Saint Patrick's day I played in the morning from 9:30-12:30 with an informal group that plays every Saturday morning, then an Irish gig from 2-4 at a restaurant, another Irish gig from 4-7 next door at another restaurant, then a third Irish gig down the street from 8-1AM. I have had a number of other multi-gig days.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  6. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

When the Wild Horse Saloon opened here in Nashville we did a 5-8 then drove 25 miles and played 9:30 to 1:30 5 nights a week. The longer you do stuff like the more you can do. Just like lifting weights or running. Once a year, yeah, it can be a real challenge.

7. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

After you tear down from the fair and setup at the bar, maybe right after soundcheck at the bar find a quiet place to cat nap. Your cell phone alarm clock app is your friend.

I keep a roll out nap pad in the truck, I'll throw it on top of a road case in the trailer if I have to. when a crew is out for a multi night festival we will make a "room" behind road cases in the box truck or semi trailer for our own private area to relax. Sometime a futon makes the truck pack. Outdoor festivals with staging that has pleated skirting make a nice tent for you to slide under and nap.

8. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Yep, and afternoon gig at a BBQ fundraiser from 12 to 3PM and a night gig from 9:30 to 1:30AM!! makes for a LOOOONNNNNNGGGG DAY!

9. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Heck, we play doubles on Saturdays most summer weekends! On my birthday weekend in early July, we played Friday night (8-midnight), twice on Saturday (1-5pm, 9pm-1am), and Sunday night (9pm-1am).

Drink a lot of water, put fresh strings on before the first gig, stay relaxed. Oh, and have fun!!!

Tim

10. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Done that before...not much fun to be honest.

Good luck to you, hope you knock 'em dead, and the place is jumping...that really makes the nights go fast.

11. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

Does an hour and a half give you time enough to get from one gig to the next? Hope you're not hauling the PA.

My favorite "back-to-back" gig is a late night FRI followed by mid day SAT gig.

12. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ask anyone who's done a 3 to 6 month 'cruise ship' gig what a long day is.

13. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

couldn't have said it any better....

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Big_Bend

Hell-yes!!! Excellent band-bonding event.

Make us proud. :)

15. jjfatz42

jjfatz42 Tele-Holic

Too much for me. Gigs on back to back nights put the hurt on me, but I'm not a "pro."

16. briany

briany Tele-Meister

Two gigs in one day I can handle but three? That's a little bit much but I suppose you got to do what you have got to do.......

I still prefer double gigging to playing a wedding, though. You make more, there's no pressure to dress particularly fancy, the day is slightly shorter, and there is no pressure to learn songs that, otherwise, you would have pretty much zero desire to play.

17. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Probably obvious, but it makes a big difference whether or not you're also responsible for providing the PA, which most times my bands are. Two gigs worth of singing and playing is not too bad. However, two gigs worth of additionally setting up and tearing down the sound rig, cables, etc...that sucks!

18. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

Oh man, been there done that. It is a grind for sure. Playing a show from 10-1, bed by 5am, up early, driving for 3 hours, lunch, set up for an in store set, 2 hours, tear down, pack up, nap, load in at club, supper, set up, play another set, load out by 2am, drive 3 more hours to the next town. It is exhausting.

19. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Been there done that too many times but one weekend after getting off work from my factory job I did 9 gigs from Fri night to Sun Night..Guess who's ass was drangin' Mon morning..

20. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I feel ya on that one Papa Joe.
    25 years ago I worked days as a set carpenter (slash and burn scenic stuff). Nail guns, saws all's, paint, sumac branches, etc. Then I'd go gig. Thankfully there were more than a few musicians day jobbing in those production houses. We could comiserate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.