Back Pain Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
No endorsement, affiliation, etc. Just wanted to share this book which helped me a lot:

"Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie (initially published in 1985 -- I think)
It is one recommended by docs to patients that have back problems (especially during early stages of diagnosis/treatment). The exercises can help a lot if done consistently and correctly.

I didn't post a link to a source, but it is available from just about every major book seller.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
What were they?

At this end my lower back just become more and more painful over a period of weeks, maybe months, last year, I remember walking a round trip of about four or five miles to get a pair of boots resoled, only place in the city who still did the hot treatment thing for DM's/Solovair resoles. When I went back to pick them up I mentioned to the cobbler how much pain my back was in. At home I keep a stock of toiletries in a plastic storage container which I keep in the bath and on lifting it out to go for a shower that appeared to be the straw which broke the camels back, the pain which had been getting worse and worse went off of the scale and was so bad it was physically impossible for me to step into the bath to go for a shower for a couple of weeks, physically impossible for me to put on a pair of socks, to get in and out of bed I had to wrap both arms around the headboard and pivot my body in or out. At one point it was physically impossible for me to go down one story of stairs to pick up food being delivered to me by relatives, they had to bring it up to my door. Hospital examined me for spinal cancer and told me to return immediately if anything changed, both of my legs swelled up like treetrunks so I got a taxi back to the hospital and was accused of being a timewasting opiate/opiod addict by a locum who denied everything he had said when I took it to formal complaint and they found in his favour.

My back has been hurting again and I am terrified of it going back to what it was so have bookmarked the stretches linked to in an earlier comment.

This sounds eerily like my back situation when it was at it's worst. Go see a doctor. A decent one will know if there is a problem (or not). Was it XRay-ed when you were seen at the time you describe? It sounds like you have a slipped or crushed disc. Until you get to the doc, be super careful about lifting anything, twisting, bending, getting in/out of a vehicle. If it hurts -- DON'T DO IT.

Also, as an FYI, shoes and footwear can be a real source of back problems for some. Ever since I took my shoes (and insoles, especially) seriously, my back problems have totally abated. Good insoles can go a long way to relieve back pain if things aren't too messed up.

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
Epson salt baths for the pain.

Once the muscle spasms stop try this. I've had back issues all my life, these done in order help me tremendously. Also a product called "Deep Blue Rub" an anti-inflammatory cream,... very helpful.

65042218078__92F1D042-4A12-4299-A697-AB448B5A92FB.jpg

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
This sounds eerily like my back situation when it was at it's worst. Go see a doctor. A decent one will know if there is a problem (or not). Was it XRay-ed when you were seen at the time you describe? It sounds like you have a slipped or crushed disc. Until you get to the doc, be super careful about lifting anything, twisting, bending, getting in/out of a vehicle. If it hurts -- DON'T DO IT.

Also, as an FYI, shoes and footwear can be a real source of back problems for some. Ever since I took my shoes (and insoles, especially) seriously, my back problems have totally abated. Good insoles can go a long way to relieve back pain if things aren't too messed up.

From experience an X-Ray won't show you the damage to your spine, you'll need to get an MRI or CT Scan. I found this out after an extremely expensive bill from a specialty clinic, I found this out after talking with my Step-mom who had two spinal surgeries and numerous procedures done to her.

After going through the clinic and talking to my Mom my doctor finally sent me in for a CT Scan and it showed that I had Ankylosing Spondylitis (the same disease that Mick Mars of Motley Crue has) and there's no cure.

My only treatment is pain killers, muscle relaxers, and/or steroids.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get better news than I did.

Spox

Tele-Meister

I wasn't xrayed, just blood and urine tests at first visit to the hospital and the second visit was a write off which I limped out off after the verbal abuse. There has been no follow up, my GP surgery at the time had locked its doors for two years and appeared to deliberately make itself uncontactable. When they finally opened their doors a couple of month ago I went in to make an appoinmtent, stood for ten minutes whilst the two receptionists spoke to people outwith the area on the phone and when I asked for an appointment I was told to do it by phone. I told them that I had not been able to get through to them on the phone once in the past two years and they told me to try again and I told them where to put their phone.

I have since been taken on by another GP practice, my second move in six years, at the first the quality of service just went through the floor so I moved to the one which locked its doors for two years. A few weeks ago I managed to get an appointment with a nurse at the new one, she asked me to put my arms above my head then out to my side and when I did said that I am fine.

Re footwear, I wear an insole in all of them, most recent addition was a pair of hiking boots with Vibram soles. Re lifting, I try to limit it but I do not drive and do my own shopping etc so I have to do the lifting and carrying.

I have a recurring problem with what the nurse I saw referred to as costochondritis but it started in 2006 and at its worst mimics a heart attack. A few weeks ago I had a telephone consultation with a GP at the practice I moved to and they told me to practice breathing techniques and tried to put me onto antidepressants to deal with the pain, I refused. I have athritis in both knees and in 2019 whilst in the middle of a remote part of Scotland, ruined castle, loch, bogland etc someone I was with accidentaly slammed the van door shut on my fingers trapping them in the locked door. I went to a hospital for xrays a few weeks later and was told just muscle and tendon damage and a couple of weeks later whilst putting clothes in a clothing bin the same arm just seized up and I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder and I thought that that was sore until my back went last year, that was a completely new level of pain which also went down into my leg eventually. I am pinning my hopes on a titanium endoskeleton becoming commercially available for the price of a MIM Tele.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
MEDICAL/QUASI-MEDICAL OR HOMEOPATHIC DRUGS/SUPPLEMENTS:
You cannot use the TDPRI to provide medical advice for others to use specific drugs or supplements. Offering specific medical advice and/or the recommendation of specific doctors, treatments, drugs or supplements will be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.