Back in the USSR - Jazzmaster/Shoegazer content

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Telegazer, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

Alright, it's a bit late for the 2014 Sochi Olympics, but the wife and I just finished a cover of this Beatles classic, and from what I remember there are maybe half a dozen shoegazing Tele players on the site who might "get" this kind of silly noise in a pop context.

The CIJ Jazzmaster and Moollon J-Classic (neck pickup only) stepped up to bat, with no less than two days of programming Native Instruments' Studio Drums/Session Set and 8Dio Adagio Strings libraries to somewhat arduously come up with the synthetic parts, all which hopefully serve to justify why the two of us will never be a live band. :p

Instead of closely following the bluesy melody that Paul sang in the original Middle Eight's "Ukraine girls really knock me out...", we decided to tweak the progression (and subsequent melody) enough to send the section a completely different direction, and eventually arrive safely back at the tonic (C#) after a little dreamy meandering. The hard thing that we tried to somehow preserve (and failed) was the sequential lead guitar riffing in the original hook with the new chords, which ended up being played incomplete and on completely different notes...so we doubled the line on a celesta for fun of it! Lastly, the key change to Eb before last verse seemed fairly natural, especially since we started so low and the mix needed a lift...And orchestral tube bells capped off the entire mess with some holiday cheer.

And just to see if we could come up with anything useful, guitars were all played through our Zoom G3, and bass was picked and heavily compressed in the SPL Channel One before going to digital. Bass tube simulator, additional reverb, and modulated delay were handled in Digital Performer, and finalizing plugins were a combination of DP and Wave Audio (Mercury Suite) Plugins.

Arrangement inspiration was somewhat loosely taken from early Chapterhouse/Ride tunes and Hugh Jones' shiny production on "Babymaker" by Pale Saints, with multiple layered tracks doing gentlly strummed/detuned strums with the Jazzmaster's tremolo, a la MBV.

And now, with an armful of apologies to Sir Paul...

https://soundcloud.com/themajestichigh/back-in-the-ussr-the-beatles

[​IMG]

2. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Man Telegazer, you should post your stuff more often! Your version of "On the Turning Away" made me weep.. I'm not kidding, I shed tears, and that only happens to me when I listen to great orchestral music or some opera.

Loved the nod to the "Bittersweet Symphony" at the beginning and the end.

3. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very well done!

4. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

LOVED it!!!!! Really different and way cool!

5. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's great. I don't think any apology is necessary.
    A thoughtful (and well done) re-harm is always refreshing ... and the fact that you had the balls to do it to a Beatles song is impressive. Bravo! I dig it.
    Go Jazzmasters.

6. cmorris975

cmorris975 Tele-Meister

Awesome!

What are you using for the string sounds?

7. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

Great! I was wondering how shoegazing could be used with a Beatles song, but it's amazing!

8. kend

kend Tele-Meister

That's cool!
    I think Paul would be thrilled!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.