1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Back from the dead...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Preacher, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Many moons ago I picked up a little Epiphone Valve Jr. head to mess around with. This had to be back in the early 2000's and I wanted a little tube amplifier to satisfy that want.

But I am also one to not leave anything alone, so I decided to do some minor modding from the information I found on the webs regarding trace issues and such. I added a three band EQ, decided to scrap the old PCB and made a new eyelet board and rewired the whole thing. Eventually I got sound out of it but the EQ was bad and not really useable and the JR went onto the shelf for other options.

A few weeks ago I was playing around on the 5E3 and was really wishing I had a little less volume. So I started researching a volume cut on the 5E3 but then realized I finally got it where I liked it and did not want to mess with it. It was then I remember the unloved JR on the shelf in the garage.

I went and dug the JR out, the face all cut up with the multiple holes for the 3 band EQ and the extra hole for the standby switch I was going to add (yeah I was not very amp savvy back then). I checked out the guts, oh my, I need to do some lead trimming on that unit!!

Anyway, long story not so short, I re-soldered a bunch of joints, shortened some leads, ditched the 3 band EQ in favor of a single tone knob, and bought some new JJ tubes for it. After that I used robrob's start up procedure with a LBL and it did not appear to have any issues. Plugged it into a 10" stand alone cabinet with a Jensen Special speaker I built years ago and now I have low watt tube bliss.

I can't believe how good this little thing sounds so far as such quiet volumes.

I made a hand written face plate to cover all the surgeries this little thing endured in the past. I will probably update that later on with an engraved plate of some sort but for now it will just get played.

IMG_3072.jpg

2. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Very cool. It's a time tested and simple circuit that just works.

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Agreed and it cost me nothing to get running. I salvaged the face plate from some packing materials my wife got on a jewelry armoire I bought her. The width was just right!

Now I am thinking I need to build a champ unit... but first I need to finish the 18Watt unit on the shelf in the garage.

robrob likes this.
  4. gigante

gigante Tele-Meister

what did you use for the tone circuit?

5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I pretty much copied the tone control on my 5E3 and added it to the schematic, It looks like this.

[​IMG]

gigante likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.