Bacchus Or Combat Made In Japan Teles?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by littlejohn, Nov 7, 2007.

1. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

as far as I know they`ve always been hand made it`s just that after they stopped the vintage series for the first time to concentrate on their own designs, they added the hand made thing to their guitars. if you see old Riverheads, some of those seemed to be the same as the bacchus made at that time, not sure why they had two lines that were so similar. they`ve been making the Brian brand since at least the early 80s `cause I see advertisements for them in my old Japanese guitar magazines from back then...however I`m not sure if the Brians were MIK or MIJ at the time, I know they were outsourced later. Deviser, the parent company, restarted their Gibson and Fender bacchus clones in the late 90s after a couple of years of their own designs, maybe they didn`t take off like they`d hoped...maybe the Japanese just wanted more traditional guitars...but they stopped the bacchus altogether by early this decade, once the Momoses came on line...stopped putting bacchus on the headstock is more accurate because they still build the vintage line for shops without the name on the headstock...a shop called Sonix gets them as does Music Inn Tom, at least last time I looked at the sites they did...not sure either would ship overseas. There was a short lived bacchus junior line too, the ones I saw looked to be lower quality but not bad at all. Fortunately I got all my bacchus vintage series guitars before they got discovered so to speak...in fact I was introduced to them by a member here named Tom...forget his family name...but he was in Japan at the time and told me to get my hands around one, I did and ended up buying a whole wack of em...but I did walk right past so many before I finally played one and found out Tom was right...still I`ve got about 15 of the older ones so I ain`t complaining.
    The newer Deviser designed models are nice but personally I prefer the vintage line, they did make some very high end models a couple of years ago that sold for thousands, and my Muddy as well as the SRV #1 and Charly limited run models sold for more than the average bacchus at the time and from what I see on line here, haven`t lost any of their value over the years. bacchus is one of my favorite MIJ lines, a joy to play, top notch workmanship and quality parts...everything we`ve come to expect from the best made Japanese guitars.

2. JJLC

JJLC TDPRI Member

old thread ........... new post .............

never owned one of their Teles but plenty of Strats & their Gibby types too ..........

the overall build quality of Bacchus is unsurpassed IMO ..............

a few Bacchus Strats
    [​IMG]

a few Bacchus Gibby types
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Wow!!

Can I have the '53-4 and the V?
    they look awesome, are they newish?
    Redd

4. JJLC

JJLC TDPRI Member

howdy Redd :D how's it goin' down there in Austin :?:

I just recently sold the gold top :( a circa 2004 Bacchus BLS-54 ........... it had a really FAT neck :D

I still have the V :D a Bacchus BFV-58V from around 1997/1998 ............ it has a skinny neck :( but it sounds soooooooooo nice :D
    It was sold to me as a prototype but the guys over at Deviser/Bacchus say it's from thier original run of white Limba Vs from '97/'98.
    Thing is those had serial numbers & this one has no serial number :D

Redd, I gotta ask; what song did you win the 2009 Best Country Instrumental Performance Grammy Award for :?:

I will be getting back to Austin one day & I will come & see one of your shows there :D

bonus shots of the V just for you Redd :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  5. I own a Tele

I own a Tele Tele-Meister

i just got a bacchus, it's the best playing guitar i've tried, and it looks amazing in metallic tangerine orange (or maybe it's a candy paint?)

seems like they cut a majority of t-style guitars outta their line, so this was half price (55,000 yen + shipping)

it was listed as a prototype, sold to the market before production.

do you know if prototypes are better or worse?

i will have to take some pics with a nice camera tommorow; and make a thread.

also, i believe the pickups are handwound, the bridge reads 6.4k! twangy!

6. slapshot

slapshot Tele-Meister

combat & bacchus are pretty much rubbish there's a reason they're only 9 bills.
    Something from the superior Tokai or Greco Or Fernandes or Guyatone line or indeed even Fender Japan will be light years ahead in terms of value,playability,sound,construction,materials.

7. Udonitron

Udonitron TDPRI Member

Owned a few Bacchus, not bad guitars.
    They could have had better finishes on them IMO but still well made.
    They didn't wow me to the point that I have purchased more after the LP, Jr, and Tele.
    Navigator or Tokai would be my consistent choice but I do have a Deviser 52 Tele I dig with the biggest neck I have ever played on a guitar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Olds442

Olds442 TDPRI Member

:eek:

9. euro

euro Tele-Holic

I went onto the Japanese Ebay auctions and it brought back fond memories of ordering guitars from Japan. I might have to go and do that again.

I still think the Japanese, for the dollar spent, make a better LP, 335, Strat, or Tele then are made here. I saw teles in Japan on the web that were considerably less money then buying one here. The ones I saw were equivalent to similar models sold here. Of course, resale will bring slightly less, but if you don't plan to unload it, it can be a great find.

Your dollar amount spent and milage may vary, of course. For LP's, the Edwards, Tokai's, Bacchus, Combat, and Navigator's cannot be beat.

10. Udonitron

Udonitron TDPRI Member

Better attention to detail, craftsmanship, pride, and finishes overall.
    Plus they are on the rise and are going up in value for sure.
    MIJ all the way.

11. I own a Tele

I own a Tele Tele-Meister

how are combat & bacchus guitars rubbish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.