1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baby Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Steve Holt, Aug 30, 2020.

Vote on a color!

1. Sonic Blue

16.7%
  2. Shell Pink

10.0%
  3. Fiesta Red

16.7%
  4. Surf Green

33.3%
  5. Vintage Cream

13.3%
  6. Other

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I started this in the bad dog the other day but thought I'd move the real build over here as it seems a better place.

Making a tiny telecaster in preparation of my first child, because I want to it to be born with a guitar in its hands..

Stewmac has a pretty good kit, and I trust their quality. It's apparent in the neck and body, but the hardware is a little bit lacking. For the price you can't complain though. I'll be making some upgrades here and there because I can, and because I want to. But the kit as it comes would be perfectly great for any kid. So as I go through this if you see me nitpicking the kit, it's mostly because I'm excited about my future kid having a Tele as close to dad's as possible. And I'll be the one playing it and maintaining it for the first few years.

20200827_171747.jpg

20200827_172000.jpg

My first point of contention is the pickguard. The overall shape is different from a Tele and I don't like that it hangs down past the bridge on one side but not the other. I've never been one to make templates but I gave it a go last night with really good success. I have a full size Tele pickguard on my parts drawer so I was able to trace parts of the full size guard with parts of the mini guard and get a scaled down "authentic" Tele pickguard.

20200829_201225.jpg

I used a router for the neck pocket, pickup slot and the flat side for the bridge. I used a spindle sander for everything else. I gotta say I'm pretty proud of getting that control plate slot in the right spot! 20200829_205418.jpg

20200829_210022.jpg

I did mess up a bit and make a notch on the pickup slot. That should be an easy fix before I actually route the pickguard.

This will probably be a slow build, we're waiting to determine the sex before I pick the color. I'm not one to say if it's a boy it has to be blue or if it's a girl it has to be pink, but I really love shell pink and I'd like an excuse to use it. Although I wouldn't want to hand a little boy a pink guitar (even though my nephew loves hot pink right now!) but there's a stigma. So we'll see. Vote for a color up top if you want to!

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I've looked closely at those, but am thinking with that short scale maybe an Esquire would be better but who knows? I'll follow this closely to see :)

Dave

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. Steve Holt

Hey there Dave! An esquire isn't a bad idea at all! The reason I avoided the Strat version was because cramming three pickups in there looked too cluttered and messy. I might push forward as a regular Tele because I tend to favor the neck pickup when I'm playing and wouldn't want to deprive a child of that joy. But it would look really cool as an esquire.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Tough one since there is a kid involved, and I personally don't like the idea of "blue for boys, pink for girls" at all. I really like shell pink as a colour (and would very happily have a guitar in that colour, ever since seeing a '63 strat in what appeared to be it), but given this set of circumstances I have voted for surf green.

crazydave911 and Steve Holt like this.
  5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Following this....

I bought one of those kits a while back when they were on sale.
    It's still in the box.... :oops::rolleyes::lol:

Steve Holt likes this.
  6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats on the New Younger'n!
    If this your First born, all I can say is that no amount preparation will be enough for how you feel when you bring Him/Her home for the First time!!! Crazy Good!!!

As for the Color, think about how well various Bodily Fliuds can be cleaned From it.

F'instance, Baby Milk chirped on a Black LP Custom.
    True, there was a lot of contrast but, the actual clean-up was a bit problematic.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

leave it natural, or see thru Mary Kay finish. It's neutral, and goes either way.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

First off, congrats on your upcoming new addition. Secondly, great job on the pg work. It was much needed, that original one was horrible! And finally, I went for Fiesta red - total badass for both boys and girls.

crazydave911 and Steve Holt like this.
  9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I built one back in April. I went with baby blue, because, well...it's a cute little baby.

The tuners were junk; really crunchy. I took them apart and they had no grease or oil, so I greased 'em up and they still were terrible. I used a set of Musiclily (Amazon) vintage/Kluson style stamped steel tuners with 10mm conversion bushings instead; they are inexpensive and astonishingly good quality.

A few other changes...I leveled, crowned, and polished the frets, shaped the headstock to match a Tele, made a more Tele-like pickguard from white moto, recessed the neck plate, and added compensated saddles. I threw out the junky short-tang jack and installed a proper Switchcraft.

It was a fun lockdown project; it plays and sounds pretty good, sort of like a little electric ukulele.

Click on the pic to embiggen it:
    [​IMG]

10. Steve Holt

Yeah I came across a jazzmaster the other day that was shell pink with an Olympic white headstock. I don't recall ever seeing a guitar with a different color headstock than the paint but I immediately fell in love with the idea. I usually don't go for painted headstock but being the kit is mahogany and not maple, I figured I'd paint it rather than have the mahogany contrast with the shell pink.

That's what I'm leaning toward right now. And if it's a boy, I guess I'll have to make a shell pink guitar for me!

dazzaman and crazydave911 like this.
  11. Steve Holt

Man you just revealed my whole playbook!

Yours looks great and all those changes you mentioned are on my list. Probably not going to recess the neck plate though. :p

crazydave911 and Peegoo like this.
  12. Steve Holt

I got the headstock profile done on Friday night and have it pretty well sanded down. Still needs some work though.

20200828_200509.jpg

Another change I have coming is new pots and knobs. If you saw my last Tele build you'll know that I have a weak spot for these witch hats on teles. So we're gonna do that again! 20200827_173537.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought this tele shaped Uke for my uke playing GF... couldn't resist..:D

Tele UKE1.JPG

14. Peegoo

Unwind the strings that came with it and take a close look at the wound strings.

I mention this because the strings that came with my Stooge Mac kit were used strings; the wound strings all had fret wear on them. I think they were recycled strings clipped of 'normal-sized' guitars made in the same factory as these kits. The strings were straight on the non-ball ends, but that's expected because the scale length of these baby Teles is a lot shorter than a typical guitar.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Baby Boy - Blue
    Baby Girl - Pink

16. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

The votes are about equal now

I say she’ll pink or fiesta red

17. Steve Holt

That's funny. I'm not planning to use the strings that came with the kit. I'll probably just set it up with my normal strings so that I can get the nut cut right. I don't think I'll have to go any lighter than 10 to 46 being that the scale is so short.

Stooge Mac makes me chuckle. Remember when people thought you were Dan Erlewine incognito?

crazydave911 and WalthamMoosical like this.
  18. Peegoo

Heh heh!

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Wait, he's NOT????

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I voted surf green, only because you didn't include the green of my Russian Bass lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.