1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baby Monster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crazydave911, Nov 23, 2020.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

For a few years now I've had a running gag with Marty (guitar builder) to make me one of these (at least a willow body). Well all my prodding (and begging) have been to no avail so here goes

Hammertone-1011-main.jpg

The Canadian version (Hammertone) of the Vox product made for only one year.

Now I only intend a passing resemblance so here is my body glue up

received_370135774209104.jpeg

Cut out

received_2787858761430165.jpeg

And the neck blank, my only one piece neck, ever

received_695462484445456.jpeg

And now my differences, a longer scale length. The originals are 15.35" and I wanted at least 18". I am NOT doing the octave tuning thing,nah
    Also, Fender vintage type tuners, LH and RH. Also a tailpiece and maybe ABR type bridge, Maybe. And only one pickup at the 24th fret/node point. You can't tell me two that close together sound all that different. Except for the middle position which gives you humbucker so how about ONE humbucker already :rolleyes:. Just seems common sense to me, but this IS guitars we're talking about :lol:. More later, didn't wanna start a thread yet but too many people know so cat's outta the bag. Enjoy :D

Dave

2. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Hi Dave
    Ever thought about building a pickup into the neck itself at the "dusty end"?
    i know its doable...You Know Who (JC) did one as an experiment many years ago it made for a rather unusual tone..he put a thin veneer over pickup so it was easilly accesssable if it went tittybooboo to quote the man
    Cheers n Skol
    Wulf
    https://www.yorkmix.com/this-must-be-the-most-remarkable-gift-sold-in-york-this-christmas/
    check that out

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    crazydave911 and JayneV like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Seriously....I don't recall this coming up until last week....I would have made you a willow body if you wanted it.. providing that you sent me a pattern to work from :). I guess you mentioned it back a year ago August too....Hmmm... You didn't pressure me enough...LOL.

4. crazydave911

I don't pressure for kind favors :cool:

5. crazydave911

I have thought of that but you couldn't do that on this neck, only 18 frets total. The way I get these scale lengths is a closely guarded secret but I guess I can trust you lol. I get the longest scale length I have a template for then subtract from the nut until I'm close. My longest was a classical 660mm. At fret 6 that would be 17.99", I wanted 18" so called it a day. I will make a working template from my steel one to save it in good nic. The reason I use the longest I have? Very simple, to get the most frets :D

Dave

JayneV and Wulf like this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Is that kinda sorta like the Veillette Gryphon 12 string? If so I've been curious about those for a long time. I'll be watching.

JayneV, Wulf and crazydave911 like this.
  7. crazydave911

Avante Grphon my Google search says. The only similarity I see is scale length. Mine is 18" and theirs is 18.5" and ALL acoustic. Mine as the Vox and Hammertone is all electric. And that manner not similar to them. The Vox is two single coils mounted straight with middle switch giving you humbucker mode. The Hammertone is the same except bass pickup mounted Tele style, a little ugly if you ask me!! Theirs are one piece painted and turned an octave higher than a 12. Mine is a southern yellow pine core with mahogany ply front and back with veneer on the sides, stained finished in clear.
    Theirs uses a mechanical bridge, the Hammertone the fine Gotoh I used on my Tele 12. I have the tailpiece from an Ecko 12 I've had in the scrap box longer than kids around here have been alive lol. For the bridge I'm debating but want an achtop with a saddle slot. I have a handful of old bone compensated saddle blank for acoustic. The idea being, replace the saddle, remove the bridge and adjuster nuts, sink two screws in the body Gibson style, drop on the bridge and have a good day. The backup plan being a Tunamatic but that would require more neck angle than the acoustic bridge( 2 versus 5 degrees). The Vox of course had their Tunamatic and tailpiece. Not really going for that vibe here or octave tuning

Dave

8. Freeman Keller

The Gryphon is a short scale 12 string tuned way up there relative to a guitar. It has an almost lute like sound. I'm not sure where one would fit in my quiver but I thought it might be interesting

I would want the acoustic version because I'm an acoustic sort of guy, but no reason not to plug in

lowatter, tintag27, JayneV and 4 others like this.
  9. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

An unusual project but I like it :).

I'm trying to get an idea in my head of what it might sound like with 12 strings and that short scale.

Does it use a standard tuning?

crazydave911, JayneV and Wulf like this.
  10. crazydave911

It LOOKS and sounds very nice, but that price? With the government fighting my stimulus AND disability, nadiska. Here's a thought, build you one. I'd love that thread and follow like I did the DF classical. Hmmmm, got any Douglas Fir left?

received_382066622462491.jpg

Dave

11. crazydave911

Here's what I have so far

A SET of tuners I don't want, HALF a set I DO want. My last new neck plate I might not use, the pickup I definitely WILL use. Pots I have out the wazoo, ditto knobs. And of course my tailpiece, that ain't cheap sheet metal folk, back when they made them good. Even Teisco was better than the economy crap of today

received_3560261530707225.jpeg

Awaiting money for the LH tuners and the bridge I hope to use. Almost forgot, my veneer which has to go on before the ply plates. Debating binding but haven't decided, opinions?

Dave

Freekmagnet, Wulf and JayneV like this.
  12. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

standard intervals yes but a higher note
    not sure if its octave higher myself
    that short scale with normal tuning would leave you with slings as slack as your grannys washing line though....i would guess C...might be wrong please dont quote...also string gauge will make a difference as to the range for tuning...as would structural strength and practicality over string tension..we all like to muck about with odd tunings anyway from time to time

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    JayneV, crazydave911 and old wrench like this.
  13. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, no doubt Grannies washing line got pretty slack there towards the end :).

I notice a little difference in feel and tone between 25.50" and 24.625" scales, it would be a major difference dropping down to an 18" scale.

edit: Maybe a sort of "plinky" tone like a mandolin?

JayneV, crazydave911 and Wulf like this.
  14. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

funny how quickly you can adapt...i play a 6 string banjo with a 22" scale...jaguar with 24"
    tele and jazzmaster 25 1/2"...and other oddballs too...if you switch around them all scale length ceases to be noticeable...takes time but thats the fun...if it was too easy right away no challenge

JayneV, crazydave911 and old wrench like this.
  15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you planning on this bridge?

12-String Gotoh Style Fixed Hardtail Guitar Bridge - CHROME | eBay

Wulf and crazydave911 like this.
  16. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i can just visualise crazydave911 chuckling and nodding his head...as we post this stuff....
    amount of times ive damaged myself this week...maybe i should be crazywulf999.(dial 999...ambulance please...my thumbs hanging off....to name but one mishap)

17. crazydave911

The standard for the Maton Diesel A above standard E and where I will start. As I say again, the originals were a shorter scale than I plan and an octave higher than standard tuning. I'll also say again, that is not MY plan ;)
    No Marty, a fine bridge but not using it here. My hope is an archtop bridge, only the top, nuts and screws mounted ABR-1 style. Failing that there plenty out there LIKE an ABR bridge from all price points. A new, ungrooved ABR-1 would easily be my second choice but not my wallets ;)

Dave

18. Freeman Keller

It would be a one trick pony and right now I don't need another weird instrument. However once again I'm bored and I keep thinking about things I could build - a very short scale 12 string? A 12 string resonator? A baritone 12 string resonator? Electric 12 string? A lap steel? I've never built a true carved archtop from scratch. SelMac's might be interesting.

Maybe if I just sit down quietly all of this will pass.

19. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

ahhhh...makes good sense does that...E becomes A
    like bunging a capo on 5th

20. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Dave, I love your unusual builds, unusual at least to me :cool:. You are on a roll, keep them coming ......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.