1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Baby Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by backalleyblues, Mar 8, 2015.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Howdy gang!

Yesterday, I was in the studio recording the band's next CD, and I was loaned by a good friend an original 5F6A bassman for the sessions...:twisted: Needless to say, I really had a ball with the amp turned halfway up and my Guild Starfire IV-very early Clapton/Bluesbreaker tone! (yes my telly saw a lot of action too!) Only problem is, to get this tone, got me into the LOUD zone!!! Too loud to play a gig with (and I normally don't like to be that loud anyways!) but THAT SOUND!!! Nothing like it! Needless to say, I had this all day on my face...:D

So, my question is-is there such a thing as a "baby" bassman? Same preamp topography, running a pair of 6V6s to about 10-15 watts into a 1 10" alnico speaker? I know, it would still be loud, but not quite so crushingly loud as to be unusable on a gig...

Would love to hear the opinions of Wally and MuchXS on whether this is feasible as a project, or if it's something that could be rewired/adapted into an already existing platform...

Franc Robert

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah. Piece of cake!

I like to make them about half a tweed Bassman. 6V6s. 2x10".

3. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had been thinking 6AQ5s and a quad of 8" speakers might look pretty cool and sound sweeeeet!

4. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

5. mrkenny

mrkenny Former Member

I was faced with you situation several years ago. I used a Bassman for a long time and struggled with the volume. I asked the same question except it was, "Is there a 1/2 Bassman".
    I started looking around at different Fender tweed amps and found the Super Amp. It has the same 4 channel layout, around 30 watts weighs in the low 30 lb range. It's the tweed sound your accustomed to. Its two 10's as opposed to four. It's just right for what your looking for. I had a clone built maybe six years ago and like it better than the Bassman.

This is a good vid. I use the bright channel. It starts around 7:44

6. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Roy Buchanon used that spelling, so I adopted that as well...:D

Franc Robert

7. muchxs

Eight 6"x9"s. :D

8. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

This is the sound for me! I've heard nothing but good things about the Super, Pro or Bandmaster. I've got my eyes open for a well priced original pro, but I doubt I'd turn down any of the speaker configurations. I probably should of bought the Vicky Pro I stumbled on for more than a $1000 less than retail that couldn't be told from new. Fender is currently offering a Bandmaster that looks pretty sweet.

I've heard the Harvard called a baby bassman before. Fits into your speaker and wattage configuration desires.

9. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Learn something new every day. Interesting...

Love that that Tweed Super. Man, I need to get something like this.

10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Isn't the Tweed Pro, Tweed Super and Tweed Bandmaster all basically the same tweed amp with different speakers?

11. fullwood

fullwood TDPRI Member

Go over to EL34 World, a cat called Geezer designed a "Baby Bassman" using ecl82's, it puts out about 10 watts and is an amazing little amp. If you can't build an amp then just take the schematic and layout diagrams to somebody who can and have them put one together for you. Here is a link to the amp on this forum, I think a few people have built one from here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/shock-br...y-giant-10w-resistors-little-wing-output.html

And if you want to hear what is sounds like here are a couple of sound clips:
    http://www.musicwebtown.com/jallenshaw/46763

The track "Smooth Hot Potato" is my favorite, kinda defines the tone I really love from an amp.

Geezer and his equally evil twin Tubenit have come up with some incredible amp designs, they scare the hell out of me at times they are so talented.

12. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

baby bassman from muchxs would be just so sweet!
    the Bassyoungman or Bassadolecent.

ok, those don't have the same ring.

i was getting all excited about this very thing, still am, but i very quickly realized one thing:
    gigging musicians expect/need 45+ watt amps.
    they just do. they are used to practicing in a noise battle room with all guys turning up and up, then they play a show and if the soundguy wants control asks them to turn down, then they can't hear themselves and turn up anyway :)

13. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Two of them are identical, one has a different value feedback resistor around the tone stack. I can never recall which one is different. Other than that, all the same amp. Build a head and swap cabs! I run a Pro clone.

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

IIRC The Bandmaster and Super are the same exept for one resister and the Pro uses a diffiernt output transformer.
    Well that's the 5E7 BM and I forget the model designations of the narrow panel Pro and Super.
    There was a tweed Super with 6V6s too. Had to look the 5E4 Super has the 6V6s and the 5F4 is 6L6s.

A 5E4-A might be a cool amp to build and I stil have some tweed. :lol:
    Would be a hell of lot easier than that R12R I've been thinking about building.

15. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

The lower wattage Swart amps may be up your alley.

16. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

How about 4 6aq5's or 6BM8's wired up with VVR and a 2x8 cab. That would be fun. Could even make a baby AC30 if you wanted to.

17. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

At somewhere between 28 and 35 watts and 2 ten inchers, a 5F4 tweed Super is about as loud as a Bassman - or so I thought.

I recently got a 5F4 Super clone (with 5881s instead of 6L6s), and it sounds a lot like a 5F6-A Bassman. The amazing thing is that it sounds great lower, at-home volumes even without an attenuator.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  18. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

The eq of the Super's preamp is quite different from the 5f6a Bassman (no mid dip, except with the T/B controls on 12). The stock 5F4 PI distorts much sooner than the PI of the BM (can be cured by using large grid stoppers). The much smaller cabinet of the Super also sounds very different from the large BM cabinet (especially in the mid/low register).
    I play a modified Super to get my 1/2 Bassman sound. Until the power amp my Super has been fully converted to a BM circuit (tonestack, PI etc.). I kept the original Super OT but added screen grid resistors and grid stoppers. I also added a switchable option for cathode biasing and use fix bias only when I need a few extra watts. Ideal amp now except the boxy sounding original smaller cabinet.
    BTW without old Jensen alnico's a Bassman may sound harsh

19. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

You know, this isn't going to help the OP at all, but I have always wanted to crank an old tweed Bassman way up loud and just really get on it. That sound can't be duplicated, only approximated. I think that's one reason that the Beatles' guitars sounded so good on most of their records: they had a Bassman (and other amps at different times) cranked in that giant room at Abbey Road. Don't need pedals when you can do that.

20. muchxs

Well... I'm workin' it a couple ways. "Baby" and "Micro".

Fetal Bassman, maybe? :D

I'll tell my barely funny amp joke...

I usually build "Bad Motorbikes". The difference between a Bad Motorbike and a moped is a Bad Motorbike don't need no stinkin' pedals.

It got me to thinkin'... there are guys who get nearly comatose bored if they can't stomp a pedal half a dozen times per tune. I thought way, way back to when I designed a hyper clean tube circuit for a boutique pedal builder to demo his wares. I thought about the guys I know who ride the bus into Nashville every night and the guys in and around NYC who ride the subway. I designed something simple, tiny, tube, clean and 20 watts as a "pedal" amp.

Now this is somewhat contrary to my way of thinkin' but when you ride the bus every night ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I used to ride the bus every night and it left its mark on me. I designed my little monster with the Boss FBM-1 pedal in mind. That's the Boss tweed Bassman emulator.

The cool part is it also acts a whole lot like a Deluxe Reverb with the Boss FDR-1 pedal.

I have a lotta respect for Tech 21 and their products.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/characterseries.html

See where this is goin'?

I'm thinkin' I'll call it The Gary Osborne Signature model. :D

I'm thinkin' I done well if Gary doesn't trade it after a week or so. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.