Babicz FCH Tele Bridge - ACTION INFO

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by calojer, Feb 20, 2020.

1. calojer

calojer TDPRI Member

Hi,
    I'm considering to buy the "Babicz FCH Tele Bridge C" for Telecaster but I need to know for sure if its special action adjustment system allows me to adjust to 2 mm/.080 (distance between string and fret) the first E string at the 12th fret.
    This information is important to me for the purposes of purchase.

Is there someone who equipped his telecaster with this bridge and can help me?
    Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. calojer

calojer TDPRI Member

The main reason why I want to change my "Fender modern style bridge" is because bendings are always been hard on my Tele. I guess a top loader bridge should help.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've done a lot of Toploader T types and no, none of them bend easier than their brothers and sisters with through stringing, because of which scheme was chosen.

I'm sorry. I can't give you the measurements you seek because I look the other way when I see the above bridge. I love a lot of different bridges - not this one.

It makes me think of someone doing this, for a small car to be driven in Connecticut:

[​IMG]

I like Waylon, too, but I would never do this.

+

Some guitars are tight and some aren't. Some do easy bends and others, not as much. Whether it is through strung or not, is not the pivotal factor IMO.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    LutherBurger likes this.
  4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Haha. I drove a Cadillac for a while back in Texas. My friends and I joked about mounting horns, but I never did it. Looking back, I wish I had.

@calojer, have you tried a lighter string gauge? I'd do that before considering a new bridge.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I tried that bridge and didn’t like it, so it’s no longer on any of my guitars. The action did not have the full range that most telecaster bridges have from high to low action. In my case I wanted it higher up than it would go. Unfortunately it’s impossible to answer your question exactly because there are more variables than just the bridge adjustments like neck profile, radius, neck set angle, nut height, fret height, etc, that impact it but if I were to guess I’d guess you’d be happier with a different bridge like a Rutters or Mastery or Callaham or something with well made but more traditional saddles. Or a bridge with modern 6-saddle construction.

The Babicz looks cool but has a low profile that limits adjustment.

If you end up trying it anyway please give feedback.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. calojer

calojer TDPRI Member

First Of All, thanks for your answers!
    I’ve always used D’addario XL 010-46 on my tele and i always felt good with them. My Telecaster was very confortable to bend...
    A copule Of weeks ago my Guitar technician leveled frets and changed something in trussroad. Plus he lowed saddles action because he says it was too high. So I set again the action to 2mm/.080 at 12 fret but now the guitar is very hard to play!!! It’s seems like he’s equipped with 013-56 strings!!!
    I don’t know what to do... this is the reason why I though ti change the bridge. I have a modern fender 6 saddles bridge on my 2000 tele.

7. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
    For starters the bridge has NOTHING to do with how low you can get the action.
    Neck angle,relief,nut,fret leveling etc are WAY more important.
    Never met a bridge that didn't allow for low action anyway...they all get as high or as low as you want them if the rest of the guitar can take it.

9. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The top load function works great although I don't have measurements.

in the past I have either bought or drilled out the traditional three barrel type bridges for top-load.
    because the lighter downforce on the saddle it can bring up nasty things like buzzing and such.

I respectfully disagree with Boris on top-load making no difference.
    it can make a difference feeling slinker, although it doesn't happen all the time.
    It depends on the guitar.

you can make your guitar feel a little bit slinky in the bending if you either route now the neck pocket, or shim the headstock in the pocket:
    That lowers the string break-angle for the given action you like.

I suppose it's similar to the stop tailpiece on Les Paul type guitars for shallower adjustment for a slinkier feel..

10. boris bubbanov

When I set up a guitar, I try to set it up as low as possible, and I am looking for high frets or some early evidence the neck is twisting - stuff like that. So, they can be addressed.

And once it plays real good, then I raise the saddles up and "Throw away all my hard work" some people say. But I think bends are easier and strings sing out better when the action is back to being somewhat high. So it could very well be, your guitar will return to your liking, simply by raising your saddles each an equal amount.

To me, just because a guitar can be set up super low, and still avoid excessive buzzing, doesn't mean we're supposed to PLAY them that way. I've got the brakes, suspension, tires and etc. upgraded on the car so it will safely go 145 mph, and then I almost never go over 105.

11. boris bubbanov

I converted a decent number of these Indonesian Squier 51s to string through. Some improved, some didn't. I was the Guinea Pig.

It wasn't the best bridge to start with and was already heavily modified.

I shouldn't say top load makes no difference. I just think there's advantages and weaknesses to both and I was surprised how often nothing worth remembering, happened.

Btw I was trying my best to talk people out of converting toploaders to string through. Something that people yearn to do but which is IMO folly. If I had felt then that the Toploader was more luxuriant to play, most of the time, I would've found it impossible not to say so.

12. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I personally prefer string through but I wouldn’t go through the trouble of modding a guitar to make it string through if it didn’t start out it’s life that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boris bubbanov and televillian like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.