1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

B52s - Best American Band ? - possibly.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by EddieLocrian, Sep 2, 2020.

1. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

I went to see Lake Street Drive at Hammersmith about a year ago. Had never known them but a friend of mine said come along. Blown away by their craftsmanship and the vocals are so good. I wish I had known the songs as it would have been awesome to sing along more....

I think this was my original intention of the thread is that I'm a Gen-Xer and although I know of some of the American bands listed above in comparison to the American vocalists the Bands don't seems to have made as deep an impact on UK culture (for me).
    So from my limited view I'm kinda saying the B52s are way better than I remember in so many ways.
    Currently for me they rank in 1st place followed by REM, Paramore, Blondie & Switchfoot.

I need to get listening to more of your Bands...

:)

Nahtabot likes this.
  2. EddieLocrian

Exactly, what was I thinking! I just happen to watch a few YT vids during lockdown and I was quite taken by their energy and talent (hidden behind the cool quirkiness) on the live vids.
    Then I listened to a live Blondie gig and I thought at first she must be miming, but she wasnt - I now appreciate that behind all the glamour they too could really 'play' and sing amazingly. - I kinda think probs a lot better than a lot of modern 'pop' bands.

tintag27 and The Angle like this.
  3. EddieLocrian

True it is and its only from my UK perspective.
    For me growing up when we listed the Bands (not Vocalists) from on the UK side we had like:
    The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, The Yardbirds, Roxy Music, Sabbath, Queen, The Kinks and then later on we had others like Radiohead, Muse, Oasis, The Smiths & The Cure even.

Whereas on the American list I knew about REM, The Doors & Fleetwood Mac (and some body else listed Eagles, The E Street Band, Heartbreakers, The Band, Red Hot Chili Peppers) so it always seemed to us that the lists was heavily balanced towards the UK (historically) because where we grew up Tom Petty for example was just a name, we never really heard his music as our charts were already full of UK stuff etc.

So when a US Band like the B52s actually dented UK teen culture, that was a "bigger" thing in our eyes then what say The E Street Band were doing for example over there.

Ok - Eddie.

4. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Ok, I'll go with Nickelback then.

5. willie

willie TDPRI Member

Seriously? There is no best...only a lot of great.

w

6. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I truly loved their first three albums, and they are still on heavy rotation in my abode, after nearly 40 years.

I don't want to rank them, but Ricky....

Ricky was just the most overlooked innovator of the guitar, and he was just one of the best ryhthm guitarist I ever heard!!!

7. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Was just about to say Hüsker Dü. RIP, Grant Hart!
    And Pixies. Oh, and Throwing Muses too.

GGardner likes this.
  8. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Great band indeed ... Ricky was truly a unique and creative player. I saw them once, right when the second album had landed, and was right at the stage front, super energy and great sound, loved it!

Squittolo and Tommy Biggs like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Love 'em up to a certain album then I tapped out. I can get along with the title of this thread based on this album alone:

71sbIa3wceL._SL1425_.jpg

EddieLocrian likes this.
  10. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

Wait, the Love Shack band is the best American band?

So we did all die in 2012!

That Cal Webway likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now, you went and spoiled it. If only you said The Replacements instead of the Ramones, we could be cool.

To me, having grown up with The Kinks (from the start), I realize The Ramones set out to be the worst band in the USA, and they largely succeeded. Very young people, otherwise intimidated by the virtuousity of Yes and so on, rewarded The Ramones for their mediocrity with almost every dollar they had. Kinda brilliant, in a way. Some guys, maybe you, thought The Ramones had invented the wheel. I knew, someone else already had and they just recycled other people's ideas.

+

I think the B-52s stand out, from stuff like Screaming Blue Messiahs, Pixies and the like, by how musically competent they were. No sloppy shows. One of the tightest if not the tightest band of this genre. But in a fun way, not an anal way.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  12. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I really like the B-52s and if this were a playoff bracket where say it's the Eagles vs the B-52s I'd go with B-52s all day long. But in reality there's only one great American Band and they may very well be the greatest band of all time going back to the invention of music itself.

Squittolo and stormsedge like this.
  13. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Yes I suppose we are all biased towards what music we were exposed to. It's interesting that I was exposed to all the UK bands you listed but you were not exposed to some of the best bands from the states. As for the US having better singers, I don't get that either. I would say it's fairly equal across the board regarding singers and bands.

First off, I love all the UK bands you listed. Here are some more US bands...
    Beach Boys
    CCR
    Aerosmith
    Lynyrd Skynrd
    Allman Bros.
    The grunge bands...Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice n Chains, Soundgarden
    Band Of Gypsies/Hendrix
    SRV & Double Trouble
    Fabulous Thunderbirds
    Johnny Winter
    Van Halen
    Journey
    Prince & the Revolution
    Guns N roses
    ZZ Top
    Sanatana
    Heart
    Metallica
    Foo Fighters
    Chuck Berry
    Simon and Garfunkel
    Crosby, Still and Nash
    Steve Miller Band
    Chicago
    Boston
    Grateful Dead
    Buddy Holly & the Crickets
    Steely Dan
    The Cars
    Doobie Brothers
    Ramones
    Blondie
    The Byrds
    Pretenders
    Green Day
    Talking Heads
    Smashing pumpkins
    Zappa
    Velvet Underground
    Stray Cats
    STP
    Iggy Pop
    Charlie Daniels Band
    America

I'm not even getting into Motown and Blues bands...

I'm also not saying the US Bands are better. Just pointing out how many great US bands there were/are.

Squittolo and CajunJ like this.
  14. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Afflicted

I can see that.

15. darrelherbert

darrelherbert NEW MEMBER! Silver Supporter

Got dragged to one of their shows once and had the best time. They put everything they have into what they do and you know every song.

Squittolo and stormsedge like this.
  16. EddieLocrian

Yeah you certainly had more bands around than I can remember (I never listened to half of those listed).

Regards vocalists you also have Elvis, Michael Jackson, Prince, Aretha Franklin, Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Whitney, Marvin Gaye, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, Tina Turner, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Diana Ross, Lionel Richie, Billy Joel, John Denver, Patsy Cline, Kelly Clarkson etc etc etc ... the list goes on.

Nobody can top that, I think your singers out-fame your bands, whereas our bands out-fame our singers.
    (cos I think the 2 most 'famous' bands will always be The Beatles and The Stones)

The American Idol show is also just about vocalists, they should have a counter show to do just Bands and they should get the B52s to host that and show everybody how its done!

:)

Danb541 likes this.
  17. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I've enjoyed their work over the years...fun.

EddieLocrian likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.