B52 Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by patriotplayer90, Jun 20, 2021.

1. patriotplayer90

patriotplayer90 TDPRI Member

wl9plcbejyczu5smxqdo.jpg These mid-2000 poor-man's-mesa amps bring back memories. It still sounds really fun.

Who has an opinion on these?

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I never played on one personally, but I heard one played and it sounded good to me.
    A friend’s son had one. It had some reliability issues after a very short ownership period. Seems like I heard that was a common problem.

3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

There was a problem with the grounding wire or something in those.

If you look inside, it's like ceramic sockets and about as tightly designed as 90s Marshall stuff, so the grounding issue is a head scratcher. A good tech with about 45 minutes of Google-fu could probably make them never have reliability problems.

It sounds like the best high gain 100w tube amp you will ever routinely find for $300 and under. Looks and sound are poor man's mesa all the way.

I remember drooling over the AT100 in guitar center way back in my early teens(2002/3?). I'd buy one now if the price was right.
    Company isn't still making them though, so I'd for sure throw $100 into a tech to avoid whatever befell the things.

4. patriotplayer90

patriotplayer90 TDPRI Member

I'm glad that you say that, I recall hearing of quality issues but it seems like you've pinpointed the cause. I can only find local pickup or extravagant shipping costs as an option, so it makes me wonder if they expect something to go wrong during shipping

I recall playing these when they were routinely found on the GC showroom floor. If you want a bargain version of "that" sound, the infamous Mesa rectifier series sound, it's in this amp.

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Closest to me I've seen since 2019 was Michigan (Ann Arbor). I'm thinking they aren't going to pop up very often.

6. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I once spent a very memorable afternoon with one of those, playing a cort evl with emg actives through it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.