B/W/B 'guard

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by tonebro, Sep 9, 2014.

1. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

Well, I ended up going with a Fralin Mini-humbucker for the neck, and a Fralin stock Tele bridge, 2% over. Should be a great match. So, to accommodate the neck p'up, I got a GFS b/w/b 'guard cut for a mini. I thought it was the best deal out there, along with recs here that there have been no problems fitting a GFS to the Squier. I realize there may be a few "adjustments" involved, as they state with the product. Being b/w/b with a beveled edge, I really don't want to see any white on the 'guard edge. Have any of you folks ever used anything successfully to "blacken" the white on a 'guard edge? Magic Marker, or shoe polish! Ha! or ? Or should I just wing it? I know it's an odd request, but I'm sure there's a brother out there that's done the same, successfully. Thanks again, bros! I post some weird ****e, eh?!

2. JestersTear1

JestersTear1 TDPRI Member

I've done it before with a permanent marker...

3. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I've tried the laundry marker, Sharpie thing in the past and it'll work...for awhile. After a time it turns a sort of purple color so you have to keep after it. You pretty much have to remove it to try to maintain it (fix the purple) because with the guard mounted, have a steady hand...a slip puts the indelible mark on your guitar body. I'd just spend the few extra bucks to get what you REALLY want to begin with and avoid the hassle. As I recommended in your other post, you can't go wrong with this. http://www.warmoth.com/pickguard/TelePickguard.aspx Choice of mini cutouts too, Gibson or SD.

4. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Permanent fix...

+1 on this…To get that guitar the way YOU want it, go to Warmouth, or WD music (Virgil will send you a paper template)- simply use the template- (hold in place with toothpicks) and see where (if at all) it needs to be cut- It its big- they can custom cut…

You want a black single-ply guard, though which is much easier- I would cut and shape myself if the area wasn't too big- I Did it with a 3-ply and it wasn't bad- used a coping saw to trim, then a bastard file w/ fine sandpaper finish

No problem with a single-ply- Get a bakelite one for a great vibe...

5. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Just as a caveat, I have to wonder why, considering the bucks you put out for the mini and all the rest, you would take a chance on making your guitar look, well...lets say less than what it's collective parts would suggest it should present itself as. Your questions, though, are no more crazy than anyone's. The idea is to attempt to 'get it right the first time'.

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

7. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I've done it. B/W/B with a layer of Texalium on top.

Black nail polish. Three years on, not a bit has broken off. Rough all the edges with some coarse grit sandpaper, but just the surface. Put it on thick and don't let it drip/run and your beveled edge will come out rounded. And shiny, if you use black gloss polish.

Actually a better match should be Testors or similar plastic model paint, but I haven't tried it. I haven't needed to. Besides, nail polish is the best thing out there for filling & covering dings and chips in nitro finish, so it's good keep around.

8. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

Well Dan, you make a valid point. We'll see how the black Sharpie holds up. If it ends up being a bad idea, I'll no doubt go to Warmoth. On a fixed, disabled vet income, I was trying to pinch pennies. But, to your point, it may end up costing me more if I have to go the Warmoth way. Thanks for all the input, bros.

9. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I'm there with you bro. I'm carrying a 100% disabled vet income as well but I was able to retire with 28 years, barely escaping a medical discharge...Army...you?

10. welshman71

welshman71 TDPRI Member

Off topic so I'll apologise but It's surprising to see how many of us serving/ex forces are on this forum!

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

McMaster-Carr? Get yourself a small sheet of garolite for a fraction of the cost & make it yourself?

If you're not able, perhaps there's some local hobbyist type that could? There's a great tutorial here on making one from Jack Wells, I believe? Maybe Ron?

I've used the black sharpie on the edge of my Harley Benton Prinz copy aftermarket PG's to cover the 3ply. If I have to go back & re-do, I'll go the nail poilish/Testors route.

12. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

Well, Uncle Sam didn't treat us 'Nam vets to kindly. I spent a year in Thailand with the USAF, '73-'74, loading bombs/weapons on B-52s that bombed Viet Nam and Cambodia. When I was stateside, we loaded nukes for standby a/c. My back/spine now have more issues than I ever expected. Uncle Sam refused to make a service related connection. So, I retired disabled through SSID. Thanks for asking, brother. At 62, it's truly one day at a time.
    But, I digress! I took y'alls advice and ordered a 'guard through Warmoth. I also ended up grabbing a few more parts I forgot to order from Mojo and GFS. So, yes by doing that I will have what I wantedafter all. As was predicted, the edge of the 'guard I blackened with a Sharpie, is showing areas of purple and areas that need to be gone over again. And now I won't have to worry about bleed, either. Thanks for all your input, brothers. Eventually, I'll post before and after mods pics with a rundown on what I did. Have a great week!

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

14. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

One is a 5 holer and the other "may" require redrilling? Thanks, but I'll pass. I've decided to go with pickguardian.com Warmoth refuses to work from a 'guard/template. So, I'll go with Tony in Ohio. Thanks for all your input, bros!

15. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

You'll be in good hands there as well. No need to shy away from the Warmoth stuff though as the fit will be fine. Just print the template they offer and check it against yours. I have two and both were perfect.

Short story about Pickguardian though. Some time ago my main hollow was a 325 Ric (I play Gretsches these days). A mic stand got tipped into it just to the right of the control panel and split the pickguard between the top and bottom screw holes, basically breaking it in half. This guitar was a burst color I think they called fire glow, similar to a sort of faded cherry burst but, unlike most of that color it had a really light gold colored pickguard rather than the white that most of them had. I couldn't find one...lots of white but no light gold. I ran across these folks and he said "send it to me and I'll make one". I did, in two pieces...he did..and it was a great match. Like I said...you're in good hands there.

As a side note...if you want something really unique, you'll get it here....almost a shame to order a standard black, mint, parchment or white. I mean...whoever heard of something like marble tortoise? They have more material available too, more than what's on the website If you call, you may get something like..."well, I just got this in...

BTW, I'm a 'Nam vet too. They sent me out to work in two others along the way so I did three of 'em. Still around though, just got a few things that don't work as good as they used to...

Stay well Bro...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  16. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

I've had a few guards from pickguardian and for the most part they are a good fit. I actually had a marbled tortoise one made for my danelectro DC . It looked and fit nice but after some time it began to warp I had to iron it to flatten it back out. I would stay awY from that material if I were you. Even so Tony at pickguardian does good work and I would buy from him again and probably will.

17. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

Well, the Fralins are here; a Mini Humbucker for the neck and a Stock Tele, 2% overwound, for the bridge. Just waiting on Tony Dudzik to finish and ship my 'guard from Pickguardian. Also, the decals I got from Trey are sweet. And, the 000 steel wool worked like a charm, yes indeed. Pics will be forthcoming when the 'guard gets here next week. Thank you, brothers all, for y'alls input and your interest in my project!

18. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Glad it's all coming together! Excited to find out how you like the neck mini humbucker ;)

19. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

68 Tele Bass

Where are you in N. VT? I'm about 8 miles west of Bennington in NYS. I put the 'guard on that I bought and had blackened the edge with a black Sharpie. It just does not look right. And, the p'up opening is too close to the body rout on the front side, so the p'up drags on the front of rout, causing it to come up at an angle, with the front lower than the rear. I doubt I'll have that issue with Tony D's 'guard. But, I'm glad I checked it out with the funky 'guard. I'm gonna string her up anyway. That way, I can check my 4-way switch wiring and make sure all's good before the new 'guard gets here. Will let you know how that Mini 'bucker sounds soon. Check out my decal under my post of "removing headstock printing". Looks good, to me anyway!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.