B string is a dud...with Antiquity Surfer Strat pickups

giogolf

Tele-Holic
So, I installed some Antiquity Surfer PU's in my AO 60s Strat for ****s and giggles and I really enjoyed them, until.... I started playing some single not pieces and noticed that notes on the High E are way way louder than on the B string. Also, no matter where I put the pickup height, I get a high oscillating ring out on the high E string playing single notes below the 12th fret. Is that warble?

Anyway, the Antiquity are staggered poles, and the staggering is really stupid in my opinion.. the B string is recessed lower than the high E..

Anyone else have this problem with these or other pickups? I assume non staggered pole do not have this issue and why some builders like Lollar suggest going with flat poles over staggered..

Your insight would be helpful :)

badscrew_projects

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Staggered poles sort of made sense with the older heavy gauge nickel wound strings that had a wound G.
Any modern set (anything past the 1960's lol :D ) that has a plain G doesn't need the staggered poles at all.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
Might not be pickups. Are you still hearing the artifacts when playing unplugged? Also, how is the balance between the B and G strings? Are you sure the problem isn't a proud high E string? Another thing to look at might be if you're tilting the pickups to bring them closer to the strings on the high E side. That could account for a louder high E.

FWIW, I've got a set of staggered PV 54's on my strat and have had no problem like you describe.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah, that "ringing E" doesn't sound right. You didn't mention which switch positions were involved. I would get SD involved and see what they say. Personally, I think the problem may be somewhere along the route of the E string that makes the B sound relatively weaker. Ask SD if the pole pieces can be heated and re-positioned to be level across the pickup? I would be more inclined to see if SD will swap for a different pickup design.

giogolf

Tele-Holic
Might not be pickups. Are you still hearing the artifacts when playing unplugged? Also, how is the balance between the B and G strings? Are you sure the problem isn't a proud high E string? Another thing to look at might be if you're tilting the pickups to bring them closer to the strings on the high E side. That could account for a louder high E.

FWIW, I've got a set of staggered PV 54's on my strat and have had no problem like you describe.
Playing unplugged everything sounds very balanced.

I tried titling and adjusting the height and all I am able to achieve is a less icy high, but the B sits behind it in the mix..

My other Strat has PV 57s and the high e and b staggers are at the same height and no issues there.

The Surfers b pole is significantly lower then the high E… matter of fact the b is the lowest pole on the PU

giogolf

Tele-Holic
Yeah, that "ringing E" doesn't sound right. You didn't mention which switch positions were involved. I would get SD involved and see what they say. Personally, I think the problem may be somewhere along the route of the E string that makes the B sound relatively weaker. Ask SD if the pole pieces can be heated and re-positioned to be level across the pickup? I would be more inclined to see if SD will swap for a different pickup design.

Every position nets the same result

I emailed SD and they said the stagger is what it is and sometimes this will happen.. They do not recommend moving the poles..

It is possible my b string is a dud and not playing well with the magnets

giogolf

Tele-Holic
That should not be. Not a dumb question, are you sure it’s oriented correctly?
Yes everything is where it should be.. I bought this AO60s strat used with these PUs.. Matter of fact the original installer had the middle in the neck position.. I had the swap them and resolder, but the E and B still where out of balance since the get go

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted

I tried titling and adjusting the height and all I am able to achieve is a less icy high, but the B sits behind it in the mix..

My other Strat has PV 57s and the high e and b staggers are at the same height and no issues there.

The Surfers b pole is significantly lower then the high E… matter of fact the b is the lowest pole on the PU

Its likely not because of the stagger of the pickup that your b string isn't ringing out as loud.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity

If your strings sound the same acoustically, take a close look at your saddle heights. See if they are roughly the same radius as your fretboard. Make sure all of your saddle screws are solid. Check out the operation of your trem system.

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
Interesting review by Antigua over at Strat-Talk

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
Have Surfer 2 Retrospects in my 94 Washburn USA Chicago Custom Silverado with a very flat 16 radius board and the string volume is decently balanced surprisingly even with the staggered polls. Yours has not been my experience with the Surfers.
I recorded this right after I installed the Surfers in my Silverado through my US gen one PRS Archon no effects at all just guitar straight into the amp on the gain side. Not trying to be really clean just showing how touch sensitive and dynamic this set up is in this guitar with this amp.

Last edited:

giogolf

Tele-Holic
******PROBLEM SOLVED****

I change the strings back to name brands, in the case D'Addario 11s from crappy Amazon no names.. Completely different sound.. I will not be buying these cheapo $13 10 packs from amazon anymore..

I thought I was losing my mind..

Anyway, hope this helps someone else..

BTW, the cheap strings had more of an impact on my single coil guitars than my Gibson Bucker guitars.. Probably to do with hum canceling and articulation between the different pickups..

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
AO60, a nice set of quality pickups, and super cheap generic strings...

Those strings would've never made it on my guitar but would have also been the first suspect had there been an issue.

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
******PROBLEM SOLVED****

I change the strings back to name brands, in the case D'Addario 11s from crappy Amazon no names.. Completely different sound.. I will not be buying these cheapo $13 10 packs from amazon anymore..

I thought I was losing my mind..

Anyway, hope this helps someone else..

BTW, the cheap strings had more of an impact on my single coil guitars than my Gibson Bucker guitars.. Probably to do with hum canceling and articulation between the different pickups..

Glad you got it solved! I knew those pickups have a great reputation.

giogolf

Tele-Holic
AO60, a nice set of quality pickups, and super cheap generic strings...

Those strings would've never made it on my guitar but would have also been the first suspect had there been an issue.

It was less of a cost savings and more of a “string brands cant be that different “ type experiment…

Happy to be proven wrong with such a cheap experiment.. now I have 9 tests sets I can use for setups, then cut them off once the setup is complete and replace with my current brand of choice, D’Addarios

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
It was less of a cost savings and more of a “string brands cant be that different “ type experiment…

Happy to be proven wrong with such a cheap experiment.. now I have 9 tests sets I can use for setups, then cut them off once the setup is complete and replace with my current brand of choice, D’Addarios
Just be careful, even the same gauge from different manufacturers often set up differently on a given guitar.