B-Bender tab rules - help?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by ChrisLarcombe, May 12, 2020.

1. ChrisLarcombe

ChrisLarcombe TDPRI Member

If i am notating a bend using the bender, say going from the 10th fret to the 12th, would i write two 10's and indicate that on the second note the b-bender has been engaged, or do i write 12 and write the same thing? technically i am not changing frets because i am using the bender, so i am still on fret 10, but it might get confusing for people wanting to try and run through it without a bender if its just single line stuff, to the get the melody down first. What do you think?

Also, does anyone know of any tabbing software I could use on a Mac that accommodates for b-bender usage? Sibelius is pretty useless for tab and guitar pro 7 doesn't seem to know that b benders exist.

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

This is a similar situation with Steel Guitar Tab, we don't use notes, we use Pedal or Lever ID's from the FRET position.

Maybe something like this > fret 2 curved line for + ( Bend) then curved again back to the natural this would be similar to what Steel tab looks like,

You could use the B for Bend or the + as the frets are numbered, they are not notes.

b bender.png

3. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Here's a normal bend in tab.
    whole-step-bend.gif

I'd think it would be something similar, but maybe add the word "bender" or add an * and footnote that * means b-bender usage?

I've seen a few tabs try to notate bender licks (without saying so), and they don't really capture it well in many cases because the some bender bends have that erratic (and good) quality.

4. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

If I recall correctly, Brian Friend posted a few tabs on the Clarence White Forum. I don’t recall the format. Are they still available?

5. ChrisLarcombe

ChrisLarcombe TDPRI Member

Hmmmm, interesting. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up going into some photo editing software and using that to denote all the b-bender stuff. I think i came up with something pretty okay. Learnt a lot along the way regardless, so will make next time easier. It's Hummingbyrd by the way, about to post it in a new thread!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.