1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

B-Bender on a Les Paul Jr.

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by bendercaster, Oct 22, 2020.

1. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Do any of you have experience with playing, installing, or having a b-bender installed in a Les Paul Jr.?

I have a great sounding Les Paul Jr. that I would love to have equiped with a bender. It has a brass adjustable zero fret nut and the traditional wrap around bridge. I've seen Juniors with a bender before, but I wonder if anyone has direct experience with one--who installed it, did it stay in tune, did the wrap around bridge rock too much, etc.? It's a little heavy too--probably around 8lbs--is that going to pull it out of tune too easily?

Thanks guys.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Frank Reckard, with Emmylou’s Hot Band famously used a “Sully steel” on his late 50’s double cut Junior, with great results.
    I have put Hipshots on a couple of LP Specials over the years.
    They worked well, too.

JRapp and bendercaster like this.
  3. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Gibson made one for awhile.

gibson-les-paul-junior-special-b-bender-253347.jpg

bendercaster and brookdalebill like this.
  4. bendercaster

I know. I'm kicking my self for not buying one a number of years ago when they were blowing them out for under $1000. They are harder to find and more than twice that price now.

5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Well the ( Music City Jr) Les Paul jr with the Glaser, were made for two years, they made somewhere between 500 and 700 of them , 2012 and 2013 if I recall, They sold for $1299. I don't recall them ever being blown out for under a grand, ( maybe) they didn't last that long to begin with. They were very difficult to find even when in production. I suspect Gibson underpriced these guitars big time as they were trying to compete with the Fender Parsons Green. A USA Les Paul jr and a Glaser installed Bender for $1299. wow.

These are nice guitars, typical Gibson build , 12" radius with very tall frets. The Glaser system is strap actuated from the body just like the Fender PG rather than on the neck plate. It can also be converted G to B or B to G. Grover tuners ,Gibson P-90's and a hard case, whats not to love !

If there is a negative its that the neck is unfinished and gets dirty rather quickly. The fretboard can turn black from finger dirt and natural oils, but there is a simple cure. Remove the strings of course, clean the fretboard, fine sand with 600/1000 grit and lay 3 very thin coats of semi gloss clear on the fretboard. Allow each coat to dry for a full day. Lightly sand again with 600/1000 grit and repeat. ( 3 times)

The frets are in the .050 tall +/- category, compared to a Tele with .045 or shorter. I had mine dressed down to .043. NOW its in the same camp as my Telecasters and lighter gauge strings are not an issue, especially a .042 / 6th string in the 9 's set. I do however have mine strung with 10's.

IF you can find one, grab it, apparently the going prices are above $1500 to over 2 grand. Its not like there are thousands of them around, more like +/- 700 in total. I think the appropriate legitimate price is right around +/- $1600 in top shape.

Nice guitars but they are not Telecasters and don't expect them to be !

IMG_9002.JPG

bendercaster likes this.
  6. bendercaster

They were very reasonably priced when they came out. But I do recall seeing one or two of them on Reverb in the $900 - $1000 range at some point. Oh well. There weren't any listed on Reverb when I last checked, but their price chart shows them selling for over $2k recently.

The Fender B-bender has followed a similar pattern. My GC had a new one for sale for $1000 just hanging on the wall forever and I used to occasionally see used ones locally in the $800 range. Now I see them on Reverb for $2000 +.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    T Prior likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.