B Bender on a Classic Jazzmaster?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by hotraman, May 27, 2019.

1. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Like the thread title says?

Has anyone done the mod?

My guitar background:
    I own a Fender MIA Nashville B bender and love it.
    And I play pedal steel guitar ( a Rittenberry SD 10)

My Jazzmaster is a special run Lake Placid blue from CME. Its not vintage. So I'm ok with having a b bender done.

Suggestions and links welcomed

Thanks!

Steve

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The classic "original" B bender is engineered for a Tele body, and nothing else "off the shelf" will do, because it utilizes the strap button. You need a custom modified bender linkage, and even then the engineering would be challenging, because a Jazzmaster's strap button is out on the tip of the horn.

Maybe a Hipshot with palm pedals instead, but chop off the fold-over ("back") part of the plate and drill four or six holes in the top plate instead. I don't think you could use the hip actuator on a JM/Jag, due to the offset bodies.

The real slick deal would be a Hipshot, but with a baseplate that perfectly matched a Jag/JM vibrato baseplate.

hotraman and BorderRadio like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Besides being a total custom one off, and the problems EsquireOK mentioned, there are other issues, like the large rhythm circuit cavity, and potentially the tremolo block route (assuming it has one). If you’re dedicated to the idea, I’d look at having a custom body built.

dan1952 and hotraman like this.
  4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

sounds like a reasonable idea but how do you deal with the 2nd string which is already part of a floating tailpiece ? Seems like it could be a counterintuitive tuning issue.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

"Clarence White B Bender", early style -- looks like it could fit anywhere.

[​IMG]

Parsons-White model installed. Everything gets adjusted so in theory you could adjust it inside a Jazzmaster. You probably don't use the rhythm circuit anyway so just route through it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

A slingshot b bender might work. I talked to the gentlemen who makes them (Paul, I think) a few years ago about making one for my 62 RI Jazzmaster. The part that mounts to the neck bolts will fit on a Jazzmaster. The finger would have to be custom made, but Paul showed interest in doing a custom job--I would have just had to send him the trem.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It absolutely WILL work - I've done it. The main unit bolts on in place of the existing neck plate; the lower section is attached via the lower strap peg.

You need to add one thing - a "Buzz Stop", which is a string retention bracket that simply bolts on the existing tremolo. It's a simple rood that maintains don pressure at the bridge. The Slingshot actually works fine without it, but I use a Buzz Stop on EVERY Jazzmaster to improve sustain.

The whole thing will take about 20 minutes to install, has adjustable throw length and adjustable tension, and adds very little weight. I have one on a Les Paul Jr; one on a Variax; another on a Roland-ready synth Strat, and a fourth on a resonator Tele. Great units!

Just contact Paul McEwen (also a frighteningly good Tele/b-bender player and a good guy!):

http://www.pulltonedevices.com/id30.html

brookdalebill and hotraman like this.
  8. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Thank you !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.