1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

B-52s: Give Me Back My Man (c. 1980, killer Tele-play by Ricky Wilson)

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by buster poser, Aug 26, 2018.

1. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

LOL when I hear the 80s sucked. This one's a flippin' banger. RIP Ricky, you were the real deal.

Roddirat, Slip Kid, Shango66 and 7 others like this.
  2. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Thanks for posting. Really cool telecaster work. And wow Cindy was terrific.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I saw them in 79 or 80 at the Armadillo World Headquarters.
    I went on the recommendation of my then girlfriend and future ex-wife.
    They were great!
    Shockingly great.
    Glad I got to see/hear them!

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great post. I became aware of the B-52's late in 1979 at the beginning of my senior year. How could someone who was still gobsmacked by EVH's explosion into the guitar world find themselves drawn to... this ? I just loved these guys from day one. Quirky, weird for time, fun, and so, SO different from the growing hair band, stadium rock acts of the day. I thought Cindy and Kate were incredible, and Fred perfect, but what drew me was Ricky's guitar work. This song, Private Idaho, Rock Lobster, etc. all have great, punchy, staccato driving guitar work. Great bridges, driving rhthyms, old school straight-ahead guitar pushing this very modern band.

Good stuff. Thanks for the post.

- Bob

bender66 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  5. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Yeah, he was amazing. I loved the B-52s as soon as I saw them on SNL (parents always let me stay up for both musical bits), but somehow as a young player I never considered the possibility of playing like Ricky or Andy Summers, et al. I just wanted to be a guitar hero, big Lifeson leads and all that.

Having taken many years off before coming back to this thing last October or so, I'm listening to a lot of stuff I "know" well, but with new ears. Can't believe I wasn't trying to learn this song when I was 9 (but am fixing that today).

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Great tune. Someone posted it elsewhere months ago & I'd forgotten how good it was. That was a good time to be young despite all the 80's naysayers.

I was coming up with other 80's guitarists in my head I wanted to look into more. James Honeyman-Scott was one, also sadly gone.

7. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

As far as I know, this is the only non-B52's track Ricky played on: some lovely second guitar behind TV:

8. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

There’s a live track of this tune on YouTube and Ricky has a quiver of Mosrites ...cool.

9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Hell, I forgot how fun they were. This is killer. The chorus is stuck in my head all day.

Cindy nails it here.

I even like that harder cover someone did of it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.