B-17 Flying Fortress... bucket list

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ruger9, Aug 31, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Something I never knew about the pin-up girl nose art, until just recently.... I joined a Facebook group for WWII nose art- ORIGINAL nose art, meaning pictures from the war. You would never know it looking at the museum airplanes, but those girls were ALL NUDE!!!! An many not even risqué, but NUDE!!! LOL!

Yeah man!! Had to represent! LOL

Stubee and Henry Mars like this.
  2. ruger9

Well, if you're interested in traveling to do it, the Collings Foundation is "on tour" with these planes through October.... and when you book a flight, you do it in advance, with an actual time slot.

B-17, B-24, B-25, P-51, P-40, A1 Skyraider (no one went up in the Skyraider, but the other planes all had bookings)

boredguy6060 likes this.
  3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Those courageous men! I can't imagine what it took to do this over and over.

Congratulations on your birthday gift!

ruger9 likes this.
  4. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

My son was playing a baseball tourney a couple of years ago in Peachtree City ga. And one flew over the ball park as they were having an air show nearby.it was a beautiful sight.

Henry Mars likes this.
  5. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

ruger9, was that the Collings foundation B-17? I flew in their B-24 several years back, one of the loudest things I ever experienced. That thing shook, rattled and roared. It really makes you realize what those kids did on a daily basis. I'm glad you got to experience it.

ruger9 and Henry Mars like this.
  6. ruger9

Yes! The Nine-O-Nine!

7. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I was up in their B-24 a few years back and I agree that the noise was deafening , particularly in the bombardier's compartment . Collings Foundation is fantastic .
    I realize that there will be slings and arrows for what I am about to post . I accept this .
    The term " Greatest Generation " tends to discount what the men and women of the Revolutionary War , Civil War and WWI did . It was created by journalists from that era as a form of self gratification . This is why I never use the term . 2 of my uncles enlisted in the Marine Corps on December 8 , 1941 . That would have been impossible without those that came before them and they have earned their places alongside all others at the top of the list .

8. Erebus

Erebus Tele-Meister

Awesome... I had a friend hook me up with a ride in Nine-O-Nine when they had an empty seat one day. What a cool experience.

Got to meet Bob Collings one day as well when he purchased a Fokker Dr1 replica at the airport I worked at. Nice guy... I believe he invented the bar code scanner

9. Erebus

Erebus Tele-Meister

That is incredible. I know the airplane... it’s rather famous. I’m glad you were able to get to record some of his memories

10. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I’m friendly and supporter of the Liberty Foundation and they are flying a B17 named Ye Old Pub which formerly flew as Madeira Madre.
    Also flew aboard the Memphis Belle, not the real one but the one used in the movie.

Uncle Butch and ruger9 like this.
  11. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Ruger, can you describe the actual flight experience? Altitude? Speed? Was it cold up there in your shorts and t-shirt? Loud?

12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

KIMG0806.jpg Myself and my oldest got to see a B-17 at the Hammond, La airport spring 2018.
    It was awesome!
    My maternal grandfather was killed in WWll. His B-24 was shot down on their seventh combat mission.
    His name was Steve Kiss.

13. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

I've thought about going up in a B-17. But it's not very reassuring to see a guy holding a fire extinguisher as they fire up each engine.

14. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

The uncle who would be my legal guardian after my dad died was a bombardier in WW2.
    I had heard many stories over the years, he and I were very close until he died at 86.
    Because of this I took a ride on a B17 at a Chino Airshow back in 95.
    We strapped in and sit for what seemed like a very long time in the heat, during that time I wondered how those young men who knew their odds of getting home were slim, managed to find the guts to climb into this very cramped space and head into the wild blue yonder, day after day.
    They knew that as many as half of them would not complete their 25 missions before they could go home, yet they climbed in and sat in the same seats as we were sitting in waiting for clearance to take off no doubt thinking of home and family. All I could think of was my uncle and how brave he was. I wondered if given the same circumstances as he was in if I would have been as brave. I served honorably when I was drafted, but I was never asked to accept a mission like my uncle was.
    Pilot, Navigator or Bombardier? That was his choices when he was drafted, no different that thousands of other young men.
    The Greatest Generation indeed.

Stubee and ruger9 like this.
  15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My wife and I took a ride on a B-17 a couple years back. It was a bucket list item for sure.

SAM_1486_compressed.jpg

Stubee and ruger9 like this.
  16. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That’s awesome! They come through NE Airport in Philly each year. Never pulled the trigger.

ruger9 likes this.
  17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

An absolutely fantastic book to read is Harry Crosby's A Wing and a Prayer. It is the story of his work as the lead navigator with the 100th Bomb Group of the 8th Air Force, flying from Thorpe Abbotts in East Anglia. He was with them from the first to last mission. After fifty years of reading I consider this book to be the most comprehensive monograph (single writer) on the subject. Harry went on to become a professor of writing, so he can write as well.

Bob

18. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dude! hope you got to fire a burst or two. Ha!

One of my wife's relatives and my uncle, both of whom have passed, and both of whom were excellent mechanics, spent the war patching B-24s and B-17s to get them back in the air as soon as possible. I consider both just as much heroes for their efforts, and the ground crews rarely get the praise they deserve.

ruger9 likes this.
  19. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

As far as I know there aren't many left that are still air worthy. One of these days I will fly in one. I used to fly in DC3's once in a while ... that was a great aircraft ... I'm not sure how many of them are still around.

20. ruger9

Well, for me it's a physical experience as much as an emotional one... my dad flew in WWII, in the Pacific Theatre, so I am very connected to that war and that generation. Sitting behind the pilot (under the top turret), listening to them go through the start-up sequence, and hearing those radial engines catch, literally brought a tear to my eye, thinking of the boys who climbed in things, hearing the same sounds, feeling the same vibrations, knowing they may not be coming back that day. It resonates deeply with me.

Sitting at the end of the runway, with the brakes applied and the engines being run up, she starts shaking like an eager hound, DYING to begin the chase! Let me go! Let me go!!

As for the ride, it was smoother than I expected... as smooth as any commercial airliner. Including take off and landing. Actually, a BETTER landing than I've experienced in many airliners. We were only a couple thousand feet up, there was no air temp change from ground level.

It wasn't loud, you don't need hearing protection. Altho I'll bet it was very loud when all those .50s started firing!!!

Stubee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.