Axle's First Project

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by axlej11, Mar 18, 2016.

1. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Wasn't sure where to post this, if it isn't in the correct place, please move to the correct subforum, thanks!

Well, it's pay day gentlemen. You all know what that means. Time to waste my money on yet another one of my hobbies.

So, in my 10 years of playing, I have not ever decided to sit and tinker or screw with my guitars. Mainly because I only ever had one guitar at a time. Now that I have my tele and a strat copy, I think it is time to fix the strat up and make it playable. I've been at my current job for 2 years and finished some projects in other hobbies, so I have a bit of money for a first build. Well, upgrading per se.

My strat is... mediocre. Being young and dumb, I decided that since the nut slots were all worn out from switching string guages so much, it needed to replaced since I had bad vibration problems. I ordered new ones, and after getting the old one out, I broke 4 out of the 5 trying to sand and install. Being an idiot I tried sanding the nut with a dremel. I can already feel the amount of you face palming. I finally got one in, and it worked ok at first, at least thats what I thought. But after I got my tele.. the difference I experienced, I realized my strat needed to be repaired and made into something decent.

So here's the plan. I first need to fix the nut. I now have all the required tools to properly replace the nut, and the proper work area now that my work bench is cleared of other stuff.

Next, I'm looking at changing from single coils to humbuckers for my play style. I'm going to drop the stock electronics completely since they are most likely junk, it's a chinese starcaster strat, found anywhere for $100. So, I'm going to be picking up a pre loaded dragon fire pickguard, HH with the phat screamers. I've searched and searched and found nothing but good reviews on these pick ups. If anyone would like to confirm or deny that please speak up, but hopefully all of the information I've found on them has been correct.

Next, locking tuners. I love the ease of use and the stability they provide, simple enough. My tuners are shot for the most part, I've already had to repair sharp edges since mine were cutting strings, from poor quality.

For now, that's it. So, basic rundown:

-Nut replacement
    -Dragonfire HH loaded pick guard
    -locking tuners (probably sperzel, I love the ones on my tele)

The list will probably grow over time and I will be doing mods to reduce the amount of hum from the guitar. Will update this thread as parts arrive.

2. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Pay day is coming up. First is the loaded pickguard. I'm doing a little at a time since I need a new amp. Will update once pickguard is installed. I *might* do a before and after video. This guitar is going to be strictly one tuning. Not sure what I should keep it in yet.

3. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Bleh, needed a new starter for my vehicle. Looks like this one is going on hold for another 2 weeks.

4. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Before I do anything to this guitar, I never realized how bad it sounded. I tuned it to Drop B which is what I keep my tele in, and compared, its tinny and has bad tone. In order to get it to sound remotely decent, I have to screw around with my pedal settings and that's a big no no, as I've screwed with that thing enough to find the perfect sound. I might get an old DS-1 to run it with the new pickups. Im starting a pedal board project after this is completed.

5. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Im still broke, but now I have a new problem. My tremelo arm broke off inside the hole. More of an excuse to get a floyd, I wanted one anyway. My idiot self overtightened it and it broke.

6. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Project is a go. I changed my mind on a few things. I want to give this guitar a new look, what is the best way to remove the paint and give it a wood stain look? Is it as simple as sanding it all off, and staining it then clear coating it?

7. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Phase 1 completed. Went with one Dragonfire Screamer Humbucker, in the bridge. 1468421982570.jpg

Im not sure what else I would want to do, because I like the way it looks in white. I may get locking tuners, not sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.