1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Awesome Blackguard from Nacho Banos

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by poorplayer, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Aiden

Aiden Tele-Meister

"drools" that's one nice Nacho blackguard.

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

The company that Nacho buys his necks from pays Fender a licensing fee for every neck they sell so Fender has already been paid to use the neck anyway he sees fit as long as he doesnt put a Fender decal on the headstock and try to sell it as a Fender he wont get into any trouble.

Its not a counterfeit unless he tries to represent these as real Fender Nocasters as long as he calls them Nachocasters and says they are replicas he is doing it all the right way and wont get into any trouble.

3. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

A Nacho logo on the headstock would be cool. What kind of pickups is he using?
    Swang on,

4. Bud Green

Bud Green Tele-Meister

It is a counterfeit blackguard.
    People are routinely called out on this good forum for building or selling a guitar that looks like a Fender, when it's not. It is usually said that " you won't be able to predict the intentions of the next owner". It is generally accepted that there should be some distinguishing mark that would show it's not the real McCoy. Do I care if this guitar is passed off as a real blackguard? Not really. I just don't see why Nacho gets a pass to create a counterfeit guitar and be applauded for it. Again, don't get me wrong, I think it's beautiful work, and the work should be applauded. But - when someone pulls the neck, it should be clear that it was made in 2010 by Nacho, not in nineteen fifty whatever by TG and Gloria.

The headstock shape is a trademark just as much as the logo, and Fender does not take kindly to builders using it. This is well known to be the case. The licensed replacement parts are not supposed to be sold to manufacturers of guitars, if my understanding is correct. I don't see how Fender would be happy with someone making thousands of dollars on unauthorized use of their trademark.
    I don't really have a horse in this race... I'm just sayin', there seems to be some hipocracy 'round here sometimes.

5. CBDBRP

CBDBRP TDPRI Member

Very sweet indeed! Oddball saddle on the lowE/A strings is a nice touch!

6. brianbanjos

brianbanjos TDPRI Member

+1

7. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

...love my Roberta...

...this guitar has been thru the wars,but it's finally as I'd hoped it would be...it appears that she might have been a parts guitar,and had many issues when I got her...she doesn't have the Natcho-mojo as is pictured,but she's essentially a '52 body (dated 5-20-52) with an original No-caster neck...the bridgeplate was switched out looooong ago,and the neckplate has a 4-digit number starting with a 7,so the true serial # is impossible to know...she has been re-finished (by Mike Patton-Eclipse Guitars),and I love how it came out...I like the fact that Nacho got the original style case too!!!...

...this is "Roberta"...

... http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!...et=t.100000707283914&pid=7209142&id=704539668 ...

... http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!...et=t.100000707283914&pid=5640971&id=746143745 ...

8. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

...oh,and my ugly arse too!!!...

9. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I know exactly where your coming from.

Nacho is smart Im sure he got Fenders permission to do these.

10. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

+1
    Well put.

11. petebrown

petebrown Tele-Meister

$4500? Damn, that case is worth more than that, guess it must be "aftermarket"!

12. poorplayer

poorplayer Tele-Holic

The case is mine - not included with the guitars!

13. jlott

jlott Tele-Meister

Id rather have neither and still be just as good of a player as I am now.

14. nacho

nacho Tele-Meister

Its all in the details!

Thanks so much for all the support. This has been overwhelming. It started as a fun hobby about three years ago, when I made a Broadcaster replica for a pro musician friend that does studio work in London. He was blown away by the guitar inmediately so I decided to make some more. Next thing I made one for Bill Hullet, one for Michael Minnis and one for Redd Volkaert. As a matter of fact, it was Redd who came up with the Nachocaster name :D.They all freaked out so that was encouraging! Up to that moment I gave them as presents. Now this year I was able to make five guitars to sell and four of them got sold in the first week. My friend the great Clive Brown helped me with the first necks last year but now Im doing 100% of the work myself. So this has been great and from this minuscule operation, Id like thank everyone for their support.
    All Nachocasters bear hidden marks to distinguish them from the original vintage guitars. They are clearly marketed as replicas and each one comes with a certificate of non-authenticity that explains the product in detail. As it is my policy, I don’t give out information of the components I use and I won’t go into discussing trademark issues here but this is a legal product with pertinent permission, and its just meant to be an accurate replica for those who care about those details that can be found in old guitars but sadly are not available nowadays in other replica instruments available in the market.
    Sadly I cannot devote much time to this and the making of each guitar requires a gazillion hours, so I only hope next year I will be able to build another three or four, cause I already have a waiting list :eek::rolleyes:!
    Takecare
    Nacho.

15. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Mr. Banos,

Your work definitely speaks volumes for itself.

Just a short note to say that your book & website are great with one suggestion. At the risk of sounding like one of those grammar/spelling ****s, I just can't resist trying to help you have your site be as highly regarded as your luthier work.

Please have your web guy fix that typo/misspelling on the front page of your site! The word "Acknowledgments" is spelled incorrectly on the main menu.

Otherwise, keep up the fine work. Maybe someday if I come into some serious cash I could commission you to build me one?

16. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nacho....

I can forecast to any people wondering about he collectability of Nachocasters that I think it will go thru the roof!!!

There are at least three reasons as I see it.

1. He can only make a very limited number of them so they are actually rarer than the guitars he's replicating.

2. After writing the Blackguard book and owning real blackguards, he is one of the few (and sadly our numbers will diminish) that have actually owned and played real Blackguards......And the undisputed Czar of knowledge on them...This is an unmeasurable advantage to knowing how to achieve the right look , sound and feel!!!

3. Last and most important. His outright love of what he's doing! The photos tell the story!! I hope he continues to make them year after year...The subtle variations in his replicating are as fun to study as the actual old ones!!

Three cheers Nacho!

Bill Hullett

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  17. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

No hypocrisy...Nacho has the correct required authorizations in place. Why can't we recognize a Master Craftsman who is also a well-known, ETHICAL person as well? His guitars, amazing works of art that they are, would not be taken for actual vintage Telecasters due to precautions he as the builder has taken. They are NOT 'counterfeits.' I mean, how much further can he go than build in hidden, but obvious non-Fender-make marks and a freaking Certificate of Non-Authenticity???

I built a replica of Bruce Springsteen's Telecaster/Esquire circa 1978 with a Fender Esquire neck off eBay and an Allparts body. Under the hood, EVERYTHING non-Fender is marked as a non-Fender product (heck, the body has ALLPARTS LIC. BY FENDER burned into the wood). As this is not, technically speaking, an 'actual' Esquire, should I scrape the Fender decal off the neck???

Time to lighten up and have a cream soda... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  18. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

Nacho..

great work my friend ....

Merry Christmas to you and the family...:D

19. Michael Minnis

Michael Minnis Tele-Meister

I just wanted to chime in as a proud Nachocaster lover. Nacho was kind enough to make me a guitar over a year ago. I totally agree with everything Ralph and Bill have said. These guitars are true works of art. Like Ralph and Bill, I've owned vintage blackguard Teles. When I play my Nachocaster, it sounds and feels exactly like a 30-50K blackguard. The experience has been such an "eye-opener", it's made me re-evaluate my whole perception of vintage guitars. I've played numerous custom shop relics, and other "relic Teles" by other makers. I humbly conclude they don't even come close to what Nacho is producing. As I said, these guitars capture the entire vintage blackguard experience at a fraction of the price of a real one. And knowing how much love and how many hours Nacho puts into each one of his creations, the price is a tremendous deal. Frankly, I'm amazed that Nacho is willing to put in the extraordinary time and effort to make these guitars. His passion and unique knowledge of everything "blackguard" is captured in these beauties. Apparently he already has a waiting list for the next batch, which doesn't surprise me in the least. At the risk of burdening Nacho with even more orders, I urge any lover of vintage Teles to do everything possible to get a Nachocaster. You will be glad you did! From the entire blackguard loving community... thank you, Nacho!

20. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

Given the choice between Bruce Springsteen's "The Guitar - Tele/Esquire" and one of yours, I'll take one from you anyday of the week, sir. :D:D:D
    If Fender had 1/2 of a brain, they would hire you for a prime position in their Custom Shop NOW.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.