Awareness On The Road

Bobandy

TDPRI Member
And you can definitely tell which people have never ridden a motorcycle on the roadways. When you don't have a steel cage full of airbags surrounding and protecting you from injury in most accidents, you learn to not take dumb risks or ride to aggressively. You might get in 5-10 car accidents or fender benders in your life and never suffer any injury whatsoever. A 15mph crash in a car isnt even a reason to call the cops half the time, but on a bike you could get tossed into oncoming traffic and get ran over by a truck, or break your neck.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
People do not buy "performance" automobiles to drive safely on the highway. They buy those because they think they are the personae of James Bond, and Richar Petty rolled into one. We were on our way to pick up Dewey at the vet's office (he's doing terrific) and a sleek black BMW shot behind me from a left turn lane, cutting it so close, I don't think you could have passed a .035 feeler gauge between his car and my back bumper. He was turning into a business parking lot! I'm sure any pedestrians in his way had to jump lively to remain living.

Last edited:

flathd

Poster Extraordinaire
People do not buy "performance" automobiles to drive safely on the highway. They buy those because they think they are the personae of James Bond, and Richar Petty rolled into one. We were on our way to pick up Dewey at the vet's office (he's doing terrific) and a sleek black BMY shot behind me from a left turn lane, cutting it so close, I don't think you could have passed a .035 feeler gauge between his car and my back bumper. He was turning into a business parking lot! I'm sure any pedestrians in his way had to jump lively to remain living.
That's why there's a phone book full of lawyers. They love sleek black BMW's, and personal injury lawsuits will easily pay for them, and then some. It could have very well been a lawyer driving it, trying to beat the ambulance to the next accident scene.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That's why there's a phone book full of lawyers. They love sleek black BMW's, and personal injury lawsuits will easily pay for them, and then some. It could have very well been a lawyer driving it, trying to beat the ambulance to the next accident scene.

I can tell when a Mustang is coming, just by the way the loud pipes sound when he's going about 90 in a 45. They have as distinctive a sound as a Harley with straight pipes. I'm pretty sure the brain will interchange on rider and driver. Probably just a plug-in module.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I would reassess your attitude towards driving lol. Most of your points are tainted arguments. Defensive driving is the safest rule. I'll just relate to one.
The on ramp: This is used to get up to freeway speed for the entering traffic. The freeway speed limit that is posted is the maximum allowable speed on that highway. The minimum speed for that highway might be only 40-45mph and that's all that is required of cars entering the highway from the ramp. It is up to the highway traffic to safely absorb the incoming traffic.
Drive safely now.
WOW. You are absolutely incorrect on this. It is up to the driver who is entering the highway to match the speed of traffic and enter the flow of traffic safely. It is NOT "up to the highway traffic to safely absorb the incoming traffic!" How many accidents have you caused by following your misguided belief?

I will say that yes, drivers who are already on the highway should be aware of traffic that is entering and if they can safely make it easier for a car to enter the flow, they should. Moving out of the right lane is a good idea if it can be done safely. But if they are going 70 mph in a 70 mph zone, they should not slow to 45 mph to let some idiot enter.

Last edited:

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I'll give another example of lack of awareness on the road. Prior to hurricane Ian we were evacuating northbound in heavy traffic on I-75. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw two Florida Highway Patrol cars approaching with lights and sirens on. It took almost a minute for them to catch up to us, and I could see cars getting out of the left lane to allow them to pass. When they finally caught up to us, the oblivious driver to my left did not react at all, forcing both squad cars to pass her on the left shoulder at more than 100 mph. Thirty seconds later they were forced to do the same thing as another driver ignored them. Seriously? Who drives on the Interstate highway and doesn't check their rear view mirror at least once a minute?

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
WOW. You are absolutely incorrect on this. It is up to the driver who is entering the highway to match the speed of traffic and enter the flow of traffic safely. It is NOT "up to the highway traffic to safely absorb the highway traffic!" How many accidents have you caused by following your misguided belief?

I will say that yes, drivers who are already on the highway should be aware of traffic that is entering and if they can safely make it easier for a car to enter the flow, they should. But if they are going 70 mph in a 70 mph zone, they should not slow to 45 mph to let some idiot enter.
I would not have made the statement unless I looked up current traffic laws and found multiple states changing their laws to reflect what I posted. Thanks and I appreciate your post. I will not respond further to violate site protocol. Play music!

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
#1 reply - Here, they just drive 20+ over the limit everywhere they go. Don't do the speed limit or you'll get the stink eye because you won't break the law like they will.

I swear to God I can't stand people. The general public as a whole are idiots that don't care about anyone except themselves and think they have special privileges. Hence their doing wtf they want.

Or you get idiots like around here. It'll be 45 and drop to 35 so they'll do 30 in the 45 zone, then 50 in the 35 zone. It's like wtf?!? Can't you drive like a normal person? Jeez. And there's one 5 feet from your bumper, pissed off because you won't do 50 in a 35, too. So they scowl and "Jesus Christ" you to hell and back because they can't get around you.

Yea. I can't stand the general public. It's why I'm not in the customer service industry anymore. It's also why driving has gone from being my absolute favorite thing to do to not being my favorite thing to do anymore. I used to ride around for hours listening to music when I was younger. I still would if people today weren't so stupid & didn't drive like a-holes everywhere.

There are rare times that I'll drive like I used to. Those are the days I really need to clear my head. Since the death of my daughter and only child in 2014,its becoming a more regular occurrence. I usually have to go wayyyyy out in the country where there's no traffic.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
People do not buy "performance" automobiles to drive safely on the highway. They buy those because they think they are the personae of James Bond, and Richar Petty rolled into one. We were on our way to pick up Dewey at the vet's office (he's doing terrific) and a sleek black BMW shot behind me from a left turn lane, cutting it so close, I don't think you could have passed a .035 feeler gauge between his car and my back bumper. He was turning into a business parking lot! I'm sure any pedestrians in his way had to jump lively to remain living.
I confess to past ownership of high performance cars and a less sagacious youth. The past experiences of driving a school bus, semi with tons of combustibles, parenthood, and losing a family member to a jerk behind the wheel sure changed things.

For quite some time now I view public roadways as a place where we must all behave and be respectful of others. I'm sure our family tragedy had influence, but I'm happy to see how my 3 kids take driving so seriously and I hope it keeps up.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
They have rules in California about how much your windows can be tinted. Most of the cars I see now that are even remotely expensive have all the windows tinted so that you cannot see the occupants under any circumstances. Even the windshield is blacked out. I don't see how these people see where they are going, or other cars on the road.
In the early ’80s I had an Audi 5000S with extremely dark tinted side and rear windows. I never felt that my outward vision was reduced. Over a six month period I was stopped twice on I-94 by the same Wisconsin Highway Patrol officer who intended to give me a ticket for the dark tint. The first time he gave me a warning, and the second time I got a ticket. Rather than pay the ticket, I went to court. The judge said, “Oh, it’s Trooper Jones. He is the only officer who ever writes tickets for that. Do yourself a favor and remove the tint on the front side windows.” I got off without a fine.

I honestly believe that dark tinted windows are safe, except that other drivers can’t see your face and make eye contact. Someone explained the real reason why overly dark windows on the front side side windows are prohibited. It’s because when a law enforcement officer approaches a car, they need to know if the driver or passenger has a weapon.

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
In the early ’80s I had an Audi 5000S with extremely dark tinted side and rear windows. I never felt that my outward vision was reduced. Over a six month period I was stopped on I-94 by the same Wisconsin Highway Patrol officer who intended to give me a ticket for the dark tint. The first time he gave me a warning, and the second time I got a ticket. Rather than pay the ticket, I went to court. The judge said, “Oh, it’s Trooper Jones. He is the only officer who ever writes tickets for that. Do yourself a favor and remove the tint on the front side windows.” I got off without a fine.

I honestly believe that dark tinted windows are safe, except that other drivers can’t see your face and make eye contact. Someone explained the real reason why overly dark windows on the front side side windows are prohibited. It’s because when a law enforcement officer approaches a car, they need to know if the driver or passenger has a weapon.
The last of your explanation, is my objection to them. It is impossible to see who or what is going on behind those really dark tints. Also, while YOU may have been able to see through them, combine those dark windows with the obligatory Ray Bans everyone wears here, I'd be surprised if vision out of the car wasn't affected.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Also, while YOU may have been able to see through them, combine those dark windows with the obligatory Ray Bans everyone wears here, I'd be surprised if vision out of the car wasn't affected.
Well, back in the '80s I wore my Serengetis or BluBlockers daily. And I will concede that my vision was probably somewhat reduced but not enough to be noticeable to me.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Well, back in the '80s I wore my Serengetis or BluBlockers daily. And I will concede that my vision was probably somewhat reduced but not enough to be noticeable to me.
Again, and I'm not being argumentative, apparently you have very good vision. I play golf with a guy who was a very good baseball player, he is very good at disc golf, and he's a very good shooter. He has eyes like a hawk, I with corrective lenses still see pretty good, but he can see a ball on the golf course, and knows exactly where it is at, when I can maybe see the bush it's close to!;)

My point being, I simply cannot accept that ALL of the cars on the road having deeply tinted windows have drivers with excellent vision, in fact, I would guess most don't see as well as you do. My wife can see pretty well, but her night vision is not great. I do most of the driving anyway, but for sure I handle the night driving.