Awareness On The Road

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Typically older folk are better about that - they were brought up to be polite. "Karens" yacking on cell phones are the worst - if you dare say "excuse me" so you can get around, they come back at you with a vengeance, like it is their right to block the aisle.

Or moms with a whole brood of young children who aren't quite under control.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Typically older folk are better about that - they were brought up to be polite. "Karens" yacking on cell phones are the worst - if you dare say "excuse me" so you can get around, they come back at you with a vengeance, like it is their right to block the aisle.

I have to give a shout out to delivery. If you don't need to squeeze and sniff the produce it's worth it. We did delivery from Costco during one of their peak periods when Costco is an absolute zoo. 👍

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Example 1: Where the speed limit changes from 45 to 25 and people continue going the same speed. That is what's called a "speed trap" and there usually a cop parked about half a block past the 25 mph sign. There is one by where I walked my dog and the cops are always catching speeders.
I call that a revenue raiser, got caught in one of those after a gig 🙄

flathd

Poster Extraordinaire
Years of riding a motorcycle every day teaches you to pay better attention or you die
Ain't that the truth. Whenever I read these driving threads, it's fairly easy to pick out the ones that never rode a motorcycle. They're tough as nails when they get behind the wheel, just ask them.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Many years ago I was stopped by a State Trooper for speeding on the highway entrance ramp! Go figure. As you said, you need to get up to speed to merge onto the freeway. I wasn't written a ticket.

It's very rare that there's a speed limit for an on ramp on the highway simply because you are supposed to be speeding up to merge. So a cop would have great difficulty justifying a ticket for speeding.

Also note that in the USA, the yellow-orange signs that have a speed limit (quite often seen on off-ramps and occasionally on an on-ramp, generally where there's a sharp corner) are recommendations, not speed limits. That's why they are not the standard speed limit sign color, size, and shape.

But, if a cop wants to write you a ticket, he will. They have some generalized laws about "not driving with proper care", etc in every State that they can use to write you a ticket.

Last edited:

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's

California has regulations about those things. That is preventing a community from erecting those Speed limit drops without adequate visual notice.

But in other states, especially the south, it's tradition. They usually do it coming down a hill and around the corner where they know everyone will be speeding and will see the sign too late to slow down.

metalicaster

Friend of Leo's
I have to give a shout out to delivery. If you don't need to squeeze and sniff the produce it's worth it. We did delivery from Costco during one of their peak periods when Costco is an absolute zoo. 👍
I don’t think I’ve pushed a cart around a supermarket for years. Sounds like work to me. Sounds like something people do for a job. The guys here will carry it into the kitchen!

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It's very rare that there's a speed limit for an on ramp on the highway simply because you are supposed to be speeding up to merge. So a cop would have great difficulty justifying a ticket for speeding.

Also note that in the USA, the yellow-orange signs that have a speed limit (quite often seen on off-ramps and occasionally on an on-ramp, generally where there's a sharp corner) are recommendations, not speed limits. That's why they are not the standard speed limit sign color, size, and shape.

But, if a cop wants to write you a ticket, he will. They have some generalized laws about "not driving with proper care", etc in every State that they can use to write you a ticket.

Well, yeah, but...

If the ramp is merging into a 65 MPH zone, and you are doing 80 on the ramp, well, you are speeding regardless. I would think that is ticketable. Getting a ticket for 65 on the on-ramp? Nope. It probably would not hold up.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Try being a cyclist out there with all you oblivious speed demons/tortoise's.

Oy-frickin-vey…🤦🏻‍♂️

It ain’t fun I tell ya ! (In Rodney Dangerfield voice, yanking collar) My head is on a swivel , I got 500 lumen lights front and rear and still - I get no respect !
1665678560162.jpeg

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Well, yeah, but...

If the ramp is merging into a 65 MPH zone, and you are doing 80 on the ramp, well, you are speeding regardless. I would think that is ticketable. Getting a ticket for 65 on the on-ramp? Nope. It probably would not hold up.

Yes. They could probably ticket you for exceeding the highway speed and at 80 in a 65 I don't think a judge would have issues with it.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You never know why they actually stop you. Maybe there was a theft in the area. They are 'fishing' for DUI's.

As a musician I've been stopped several times over the years late at night after the gig. Not doing anything wrong. They always have an excuse like: "I noticed you were swerving a bit.." I told the last one "Really? I didn't notice that, I know I was between the lines". They are 'fishing' for DUI's.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

California has regulations about those things. That is preventing a community from erecting those Speed limit drops without adequate visual notice.

But in other states, especially the south, it's tradition. They usually do it coming down a hill and around the corner where they know everyone will be speeding and will see the sign too late to slow down.

Everywhere around here the speed limit changes are for legitimate reasons. Usually because of dangerous intersections and high traffic areas. If you're speeding where you could potentially cause a serious crash, you're being irresponsible. Speeding of still one of the major causes of crashes. I honestly I believe they should be handing out more tickets.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Got mine on a 55mph country road at the edge of town speed changes to 25 at the top of a hill. They got me at the bottom doing 35.

Several years ago here in Wakulla County. The local Sheriff, David Harvey, was involved in an accident on his way home from Wildwood Golf Course. He hit an occupied parked car and left the scene. He was likely intoxicated. He had been Sheriff since 1976. He stepped down in 2011 after that incident.

It caused a rift between the WCSO and the FHP. WCSO won't process crashes. Even though they will respond first, they call FHP to process the crash. WCSO also doesn't usually hand out moving traffic violations either, and leave that up the FHP. For awhile after the David Harvey incident, FHP was handing out tickets in Wakulla constantly.

I got pulled (flagged actually) over by FHP after crossing over an intersection where the speed limit changes to 35 on the other side of the highway, but on the other side it was 45. Two weeks later, after getting that ticket, they changed the speed limit there to 45.