Awareness On The Road

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This seems to be increasingly rare. Here are a few examples that I have been seeing.

Example #1. There is a road that bypasses downtown traffic along the edge of the city where I live in. I use this road to get to where the grocery stores and shopping is. On the way home, I turn onto this road, and it is 45 for 3/4 mile, 35 for a half mile, then 25 for a half mile. A number of times recently, I am behind someone who starts out going about 35. No biggie, it turns 35 soon enough. In the 35 zone, they continue at 35. Then in the 25 zone, they continue at 35.

Uhhhh, dude. WTH? It's like these people decide a single speed they like, and use it everywhere.

This happens very frequently on this road. That, or someone decides 19 MPH is their preferred speed, and use it down the whole stretch. 35 in that sort stretch of the 45 zone is no biggie - but 19 MPH feels like we should just get out and walk.

Is this a big deal? No, unless I am in a hurry. Are they hurting anyone? Again, no. I just wonder if they have enough awareness of their surroundings to be safe.

Example #2. Merging onto the freeway (sorry, motorway for those across the pond ;)). If you are merging into a 65 MPH zone, the goal is to be going 65 by the time you merge to be safer. So many time, drivers dawdle down the ramp, don't accelerate, then try to merge into 65 MPH traffic at 40 to 45. Uhhhh, dude. You are going to die or cause a wreck. This is a long ramp, you had the time and the space to accelerate. Pedal on the right - push it harder.

I get that trucks sometimes cannot get up to speed. I get trailers will inhibit speed. Sometimes a person's car may not be in proper repair to get up to speed. Many times, this is just people not being aware and not being safe. They get onto the highway, then accelerate.

Example #3. I often use my cruise control on the freeway (motorway ;)). I will have my cruise set, and I will have a car pass me on the left, merge into my lane, then slow down to 5 MPH less than where my cruise is set. No biggie, I pull into the left lane, reset my cruise, and continue past. Once I am past them and pull back into the right lane, they speed up, pass me, get in my lane, and slow down again. Repeat for miles and miles. I sometimes wonder if this person is just playing with me, but they never look over, never look at me, and they just seem oblivious. That, and this happens all the time with a lot of drivers. I often wondered if my cruise control was not working properly, but this happens with every car I've ever had, and my wife's cars, and my kid's cars, and...

Rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
driving while texting.gif

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
I would reassess your attitude towards driving lol. Most of your points are tainted arguments. Defensive driving is the safest rule. I'll just relate to one.
The on ramp: This is used to get up to freeway speed for the entering traffic. The freeway speed limit that is posted is the maximum allowable speed on that highway. The minimum speed for that highway might be only 40-45mph and that's all that is required of cars entering the highway from the ramp. It is up to the highway traffic to safely absorb the incoming traffic.
Drive safely now.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I took Defensive, High Speed, and Avoidance driving classes in my 20s. I thought I wanted to race SCCA. Many valuable lessons learned that have kept me out of trouble so many times

I always expect the other driver to do stupid things so that helps

Driving awareness is rapidly becoming a thing of the past

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My wife is studying for her driver's license exam. She remarked the other day, you know the drivers' handbooks says you're supposed to do what you do and keep scanning all the time you're driving. The truth be told, I probably don't need to do that, she's generally doing enough scanning for both of us. ;)

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Example #2. Merging onto the freeway (sorry, motorway for those across the pond ;)). If you are merging into a 65 MPH zone, the goal is to be going 65 by the time you merge to be safer. So many time, drivers dawdle down the ramp, don't accelerate, then try to merge into 65 MPH traffic at 40 to 45. Uhhhh, dude. You are going to die or cause a wreck. This is a long ramp, you had the time and the space to accelerate. Pedal on the right - push it harder.

I get that trucks sometimes cannot get up to speed. I get trailers will inhibit speed. Sometimes a person's car may not be in proper repair to get up to speed. Many times, this is just people not being aware and not being safe. They get onto the highway, then accelerate.

Example #3. I often use my cruise control on the freeway (motorway ;)). I will have my cruise set, and I will have a car pass me on the left, merge into my lane, then slow down to 5 MPH less than where my cruise is set. No biggie, I pull into the left lane, reset my cruise, and continue past. Once I am past them and pull back into the right lane, they speed up, pass me, get in my lane, and slow down again. Repeat for miles and miles. I sometimes wonder if this person is just playing with me, but they never look over, never look at me, and they just seem oblivious. That, and this happens all the time with a lot of drivers. I often wondered if my cruise control was not working properly, but this happens with every car I've ever had, and my wife's cars, and my kid's cars, and...

Rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Many years ago I was stopped by a State Trooper for speeding on the highway entrance ramp! Go figure. As you said, you need to get up to speed to merge onto the freeway. I wasn't written a ticket.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Once when I was hauling a scraper back from Arizona, with my wife driving the pilot car behind me on a four lane, a cop stopped me and chewed me out for having my pilot car too far back. I had her tighten it up a little, and so help me, we didn't go ten miles before another cop stopped me and chewed me out for having my pilot car too close!

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
Unixfish, your No. 1 & 3 are constants in the USA, with No. 3 being more frequent and happening with me on long, remote & lightly trafficked freeways. I’ve had a driver do that when no other driver was within 1/2 mile. I don’t understand that one.

Here’s one I think I understand: traveling on a two lane highway, following a driver who is going well below the speed limit + slowing even further while going around a curve or on a hill. I’m talking 55 & 50 mph on a 65 mph highway. Oncoming traffic doesn’t allow a simple pass. You finally come to a passing lane but your chance to get past them is thwarted because they speed up to 67 mph or more and you might get ticketed while passing. So onward you plod, sometimes for many miles.

I believe these are simply very insecure drivers who only feel OK when they can see ahead for a mile or more, like in a passing lane. So they speed up!

TomBrokaw

Tele-Holic
I would reassess your attitude towards driving lol. Most of your points are tainted arguments. Defensive driving is the safest rule. I'll just relate to one.
The on ramp: This is used to get up to freeway speed for the entering traffic. The freeway speed limit that is posted is the maximum allowable speed on that highway. The minimum speed for that highway might be only 40-45mph and that's all that is required of cars entering the highway from the ramp. It is up to the highway traffic to safely absorb the incoming traffic.
Drive safely now.
I have to disagree here. In your example, drivers are expected to do the bare minimum required by law and no more. The fact is, freeway speeds are usually (at least where I live) 5-10 mph over the posted maximum. Merging into that at the posted minimum shows a lack of awareness regarding the situation at hand, at best.

I was also taught in driver's Ed that it's the responsibility of the driver entering the freeway to merge - not the drivers already there.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Unixfish, your No. 1 & 3 are constants in the USA, with No. 3 being more frequent and happening with me on long, remote & lightly trafficked freeways. I’ve had a driver do that when no other driver was within 1/2 mile. I don’t understand that one.

Here’s one I think I understand: traveling on a two lane highway, following a driver who is going well below the speed limit + slowing even further while going around a curve or on a hill. I’m talking 55 & 50 mph on a 65 mph highway. Oncoming traffic doesn’t allow a simple pass. You finally come to a passing lane but your chance to get past them is thwarted because they speed up to 67 mph or more and you might get ticketed while passing. So onward you plod, sometimes for many miles.

I believe these are simply very insecure drivers who only feel OK when they can see ahead for a mile or more, like in a passing lane. So they speed up!

I was thinking there are some people who -- *snort* *snort* -- can't stand anyone driving faster than them, so it's a macho thing, they HAVE to pass you. But once they've done that, they're fall back into their usual behaviour.

My pet peeve where I live is that highways are twisty two laners where you can't pass for some time. Then an additional lane appears for a kilometre or two to allow passing. My peeve is that you'll be behind some someone who is slow, say 80 when the limit is 100. I think, "I'll pass them up ahead", then they speed up to 140 in that stretch of road and I'll think, "okay, they woke up", but they'll slow down to 80 when the passing lane disappears 🤬.

What I have to do then is hold back and wait for the next passing zone and try to slingshot past them as soon as the passing lane appears. Often they are speeding up and trying to pass back in front of me! I end up going, say, 150, to stay in front. And yup, as soon as it's two lanes again, they slow way down 🤨

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

It's some kind of human condition I don't understand. Once we pulled into a parking area that allowed overnight camping on the coast during the off season. It was an area approximately five to seven acres in size. During the night, another camper pulled in and parked as near as they would have in a Walmart parking lot. When I got up the next morning, we were the only two vehicles on the lot! Why would they want to park so close to us?

Poster Extraordinaire
It's some kind of human condition I don't understand. Once we pulled into a parking area that allowed overnight camping on the coast during the off season. It was an area approximately five to seven acres in size. During the night, another camper pulled in and parked as near as they would have in a Walmart parking lot. When I got up the next morning, we were the only two vehicles on the lot! Why would they want to park so close to us?

They probably don't understand urinal rules, either.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
Free radicals.

Bob