AVRI52 VS. AV52. How to tell them apart?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by OrchPerc, Feb 19, 2019.

1. OrchPerc

OrchPerc TDPRI Member

Hi All,
    Can anyone tell me if is there is a way to differentiate between a pre 2012 AVRI52 and the 2012-2017 AV52. Serial numbers seem to be in the neck pocket. Do I just need to trust the seller that it is one or the other or is it possible to confirm? Sorry, maybe I seem like a guy with trust issues. Probably true.
    I'm looking for modern wiring and the fattest neck.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
    Brian

2. AfroBill

AfroBill TDPRI Member

I went through the same thing recently. One of the first things to look for in a post 2012 AV52 is a more opaque butterscotch finish where you can see less wood grain. Another thing is that the AV52s didn’t come with the 6 saddle bridge in the case, so if you see that included in the listing it’s probably the earlier AVRI 52. You can also ask the seller to remove the neck and take a photo of the date stamp.

3. OrchPerc

OrchPerc TDPRI Member

Thanks Afrobill. It sounds like the only sure way for me to find out will be to ask him to take off the neck. I assume it will be easy to look up the serial number.

4. OrchPerc

OrchPerc TDPRI Member

I'm sorry about that triple response. Still new here!

5. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

If the body is an opaque banana yellow and has a pale maple neck with a serial number starting with a V stamped on the bridge, it's a 2012-17 Pure Vintage (PV) AV52, Model 011-0202-850

If it's butterscotch blonde and you can see the grain and the neck is both 7.25" radius and amber-tinted, it's either:

a) Model 010-1303-850 made between 1982 and 1997, or
    b) Model 010-0202-850 made between 1998 and 2012 or

If it's butterscotch blonde and you can see the grain with a serial number starting with a V stamped on the bridge and the neck is 9.5" radius, it's an American Original 50s Telecaster (P/N 011-132-850).

Hope this helps.

AfroBill likes this.
  6. OrchPerc

OrchPerc TDPRI Member

Thanks Twang Tone,
    Just for clarification are you saying that the pre-2012 versions did not have a serial numbers on the bridge? Also it seems like the pre-2012 were wired differently. Is that right?
    Thanks SO much!

7. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

- Pre 2012 version had the vintage wiring, which is:
    Back position: Bridge pickup w/tone control
    Middle position : Neck pickup w/tone contol
    Front position: Neck pickup with no tone control and all treble rolled off (pre-set bassy position).

But this could have been modified to 'modern wiring' by the seller (a common mod).

- Pre 2012 s/n was stamped on the bridge, although it was a 5 digit S/N without the "V" prefix (as for the post-2012 iteration)

- a good way, I think, to discern a pre-2012 (AV52RI) from a post-2012 (AV52) would be to check the spacing between the dot markers at the 12th fret: it is vintage correct on the AV52RI (i.e. narrow spacing), while (somewhat ironically) not on the AV52 (which has a wider dot spacing)

8. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Tele-Meister

I always found the finishes of pre-2012s were different to the post-2012. I want to say that the pre-2012 finish was darker compared to my 2016 model. Great guitars either way, though - not a huge difference between them as they are obviously based on the same guitar. My AV '52 has a lovely thin finish and a big fat neck, great to play!

9. OrchPerc

OrchPerc TDPRI Member

That's great Twang Tone!
    I can easily check the serial numbers before buying. I guess I could also ask him to measure the distance between the dots at the 12th fret but I would need someone to tell me the measurement differences between pre and post 2012. Thanks everyone for the comments!

10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Just to build on this - the transition point for the revised "version 3"/"AV" '52 Tele was August 2012 - so there are roughly 5-6 months of production of the AVRI version (made starting in mid-1998) before they change to the AV version. Since the introduction was August I would assume they started producing the AV version in at least July 2012, possibly June 2012.

I think that Fender was up to 6-digit serial numbers on the AVRIs before they were discontinued but I could be wrong on that.

Finally the AV serial numbers no only start with a "V", but the first 2 digits are the year of production, followed by a 5-digit serial number. So a 2012 would have a "V12xxxxx" number, a 2013 would have a "V13xxxxx" number, etc. That change was for all of the AV series (Strats, other Tele models, Jazzmasters, and Jaguars); the previous AVRI Strats, '62 Custom Tele, Jazzmaster and Jaguar had a number that started with a "V" prefix, but they didn't have the year coded into it.

boris bubbanov and AfroBill like this.
  11. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

to complete my post above, here's a pic (courtesy of TDPRI'er Fred Dairy), for comparison:
    AVRI52 on the left, AV52 on the right:
    (edit: if you look closely, you can see the differences between s/numbers. according to Fred, both were from 2012 -you can see the V12XXXXX on the right Tele, as explained by John)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    AfroBill likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The site is sometimes slow or unresponsive when the Post Reply button is clicked. Easy to make multiple posts in that situation. Patience is essential.

13. OrchPerc

OrchPerc TDPRI Member

Thanks for that reminder about patience. I just needed to click refresh!

14. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

15. OrchPerc

OrchPerc TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the serial number help. Great to have all this knowledge available!

16. OrchPerc

OrchPerc TDPRI Member

Thanks Kinkstah. I will study that thread!!!

17. OrchPerc

OrchPerc TDPRI Member

I might be insane...
    I bought two used Teles from GC. (GE Smith and AO50s). If I love the feel of the GE with the 7.25" but I love the sound of the AO50s with 9.5" I'll return them both and get an AV52. I just wanted to be able to do a comparison on my amp at home. Since they are used it's really no risk as they are returnable. My local GC might be miffed though. AO50s comes today. GE is already here.

18. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Pre-2012 versions had a 4 or 5-digit serial number stamped on the bridge. Pre-2012 versions came wired from the factory with the old-style vintage wiring which gave a pseudo-bass sound when the switch was in the forward position, but most got re-wired to modern using the kit supplied with the guitar.

19. AfroBill

AfroBill TDPRI Member

I did not know this! This is perhaps the best way to tell and information that could have saved me a lot of research over the last few weeks when I was looking for my 52RI. Thanks @John C

20. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Fender went through a lot of changes and permutations with the AVRI52, especially the finish. The one in the comparison picture above would have been made prior to about 2006 judging by the finish. Those came to be know as pumpkincsters around here for obvious reasons. Fender gradually lightened the finish on the AVRI until it looks very much, but not exactly, like the post 2012 AV. Mine is a 2008 or 2009 and it looks very much like the newer ones. As for the vintage wiring, They did ship AVRIs that way for a long time, but they included instructions and a capacitor to do the conversion. Not sure when they stopped doing that, but I'm pretty sure it was well before 2012. I also didn't know about this serial # scheme on the new ones. That would certainly ease the process of dating these guitars.

21. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

When I bought my AVRI 52 I met a “special case”: a 1998-2012 AV52 with wide dot spacing. Turns out some very rare ones were made … but any way, to make sure it was legit had to go deep so with the help of this wonderful site I compiled notes with parts numbers etc.

I share them below, with best wishes for your search:

New and old ’52 Telecaster

NB: AVRI52 means the old (’98-’12) series, model number 010-0202-850; AV52 means the 2012-17 run, model number 011-0202-850

Outside

- Finish: AVRI52 is more transparent and darker on body and neck (you see the grain); AV52 is lighter, less (to not) transparent (body is pure nitro). Once you see them, you can’t confuse them.

- Decal: same, above finish (both)

. Neck profile: both called “U”: AVRI52 is slightly less chunky (pleasantly so), more like a big “C” neck than a “U” neck. Old is amber tinted, new is pale. Once you see them, it’s hard to confuse them.

- Dot spacing @ 12th fret: narrow on AVRI52 except for some very late production specimens (2011/2012), wide on AV52

- Butt crack: seen on the AVRI52; usually not on AV52

- Switch tip: “domed” barrel on AVRI52; “recessed” barrel on AV52. Microscopic difference, but tell-tale!

- Serial markings: AVRI52 just the 5 numbers on the bridge plate; AV52 have the “V” followed by year in 2 digits followed by 5 digits

- Screws: all slotted, save truss-rod

- Tuners & button: same

Under control plate and pickguard

- Wiring: cloth in both cases

- Pots: check dates

- Switch: AVRI52: Oak Grisby 51992; AV52: spring-loaded CRL

- Caps: AVRI52: ic503Z .05µF ceramic cap; AV52: PIO cap

- Knobs: same

- Pickups : seem indistinguishable. Bridge with “copper-ish” baseplate, neck pickup with metal brackets below, no marking or “52” marking on bottom; cloth wire: white/black (neck) yellow/black (bridge)

- Routing: same (’52 routing)

Once you pop neck

- Body and neck stamps: AVRI52 (body: 18354; neck: 53779) ≠ AV52 (body: 93577, neck: 92973)

Case and case candy

- Accessories of the AVRI52: Vintage Tweed Case, Strap (all those I’ve seen were black), Cable, Modern Six-Saddle Bridge (no serial), “Ash Tray” Bridge Cover, Capacitor and Wiring Diagram (For Updating to Modern Switching Circuit)

- Accessories of the AV52: Deluxe Vintage Tweed Case, ‘52 Brown Leather Strap, Guitar Cable, Polishing Cloth, 1950s Tele® Information Kit with Literature and Period Tags, 3-Position Switch Kit, “Ash Tray” Bridge Cover, Saddle Height Wrench and Owner’s Manual, 15K Resister and Wiring Diagram (For Retrofitting to Vintage Blend Circuit Wiring)

Oh: either way, you can’t go wrong!!

PS: mine is a 2011 and is called “Amber” for a reason (see pic) … it is very different from the milky blonde 2012-17 AVs I’ve met around in stores. I’d say that finish (and a slightly less chunky neck) are all the difference between the old series and new

IMG_4177.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    AfroBill likes this.
  22. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly - pre 'Pure Vintage' 2017 with the flatter radius neck, apart from the pre 1998 version the difference between the 98-12 and 12-17 versions is minor.

I would not let if it was a AVRI, OV or even PV worry me. I'd be more concerned with original condition including case and candy, fret wear.

Even the PV or older plastic-wired Gumby body ones. They've all slight variations, you may not like the early slimmer neck but all of them are holding value like old Harley's do. They've a modern classic that's been around 30+ years.

If you find a guitar from any era you like, they're all good guitars. More or less accurate to the originals, darker or lighter finish, they all sound similar and are great guitars that hold value if you buy smart.

You can set them up with 66+ wiring and they all sound and play great, pretty much.

boris bubbanov and RadioFM74 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.