1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AVRI '69 Thinline, Upgraded! (pics)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cookedbutok, Jul 7, 2012.

1. cookedbutok

cookedbutok TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share, I just got my AVRI '69 Thinline back from the shop with a bunch of upgrades and I couldn't be happier with the results! Here's a list of what was done:

-Stock P/U's replaced with Lollar Special T's
    -Stock bridge replaced with Rutter's Tele bridge
    -New pickguard from Terrapin (parchment)
    -3-way switch replaced with 4-way
    -Pot values changed from 250k to 500k

All the work was done by Big John's Guitars in Denton, TX and let me just say first that John is a standup guy who does incredible work and great prices. I have tried most of the "big" guys in Dallas (i won't list names, but if you live in Dallas, you know who the most popular shops are) and John's work is bar none the best and he was really fast on the turn around. Let's just say I have finally found my guitar guy locally!

Here's a pic of the stock '69:
    [​IMG]

And here's the upgraded '69:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as tone and feel, this thing feels and plays 100% better. The Special T's are definitely warmer than the stock, but I can still roll into the treble position to get that Tele sparkle that I need. The change in pot values makes my tone knob more useable and with the 4 way, I have such a diverse range of tones. The Rutter's feels like such a huge improvement, I was always hitting the stock ashtray with my picks and i can tell an improvement in sustain and clarity of the notes. I'm also glad to get rid of the sparkle-y tele pick guard to something more subtle. First gig tomorrow with it, I'll let you know how it goes!

2. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That is very nice! I like your taste - very subtle and classy with the parchment guard. Nice upgrades to the hardware, and really like the Rutters bridge. Does he make a three-hole that will replace a modern bridge? Also, I am curious as to why you changed to 500k pots since you have kept single-coils in there. I understand that moving to 500 reduces the treble? Seems like that it not what you were looking for.

3. cookedbutok

cookedbutok TDPRI Member

Great point. First, I've struggled with the low output and ice pick nature of the stock pickups, but the choices were also based on my philosophy about guitars, which is balance. The pot values and warmer SC's definitely have a fatter tone, but the brass saddles and increased clarity of the bridge. Rolling into the treble position still allows me to access that tele spank and twang.

4. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted

Excellent taste with the cosmetic changes there, cookedbutok. While I like them, the originals are rather gaudy. I'm wondering whether you still are happy with the other changes you had made with it?

5. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Oh baby!!!

6. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Beautiful thinline - I like what ya had done!

7. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

Congrats. That's a nice looking thinline.

8. Williams

Williams Tele-Meister

Interesting concept about the pot values....wonder if the same thing applies with humbuckers. If I use 250K pots with humbuckers will it give my humbuckers a little more spank??

9. fenderguy72

fenderguy72 Tele-Meister

She looks sweet. I'm so curious bout Lollar pickups as they aren't easy to find around here. Enjoy.

10. GilFletcher

GilFletcher TDPRI Member

250k pots will make your humbuckers darker, not brighter. 500k is a general pot value for humbuckers, 1M will give them 'spank'.

11. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Yes, 500k Increases Treble and 1k is over the Top in my mind! But, a Hollowbody gives off such a warm Tone, I think 500K is a MUST...Killer looking Thinline you got their Cook!

12. The String King

The String King Tele-Afflicted

Nice looking geetar!

13. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

The pickguard looks a lot nicer with the plain white rather than the previous pearloid...good call!

14. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I have the same guitar.. sounds like you got it where you want.. All of your mods make sence but I wouldn't have had them done all at once. If it was me I think I would do changes gradually to get an idea how much each change effected tone. Like the solid pickguard never a fan of pearlized stuff.

15. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

wow. i really really really really really love the parchment pickguard on white. mmm. that is really nice.

16. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice! If that were mine I'd probably be dreading that inevitable first ding in the finish.

17. johnnykazz

johnnykazz Tele-Meister

I know it's been mentioned twice already but to clear up confusion:
    The higher the pot value, the brighter/spankier the pickups will be.
    The lower the pot value, the darker/warmer the pickups will be.

This is the reason that most Fender single-coil equipped guitars use 250K value pots; it's to clear up some of the brightness so it isn't over-the-top and ice-pick like. Most humbucker guitars use 500K because it's a generally brighter pot and sometimes humbuckers get the opposite effect of single-coils; they become so dark that they're muddy. Changing out stock pots in a single-coil equipped guitars to the same value but higher quality is still not a bad idea because you may get a smoother roll on the pot for volume change on the fly and possibly a greater tonal response. Changing from 250K to 500K on a single-coil guitar will make the pickups slightly brighter yet. I suppose this would be useful if you find your Strat or Tele not as articulate and bright as one you heard someone else playing. Honestly, with a good amp with lots of knobbies and switches, any pot value will be fine in any guitar. However, I would not recommend higher than 1Meg because it isn't practical.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.