AVRI "62 Custom Double Bound Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by LittleSonny, Jun 6, 2013.

1. LittleSonny

LittleSonny TDPRI Member

Went in yesterday to pick up some fuses. They had to search around a little bit because the drawer with the type I needed was empty. After a little while guy came down with a bag of them. "How many do you need?" "Oh, four will do." He hands me four and says, "Just put 'em in your pocket." Austin is still Austin.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The original BSB Broadcaster, Nocaster, or 52 Tele Blackguards may be the quintessential Tele look and sound but for my money the AVRI '62 Customs were the classiest looking Teles Fender ever produced in sunburst or in colors and they have a unique sound of their own as well. There's some great looking examples in this thread to. Congrats to all of you guys.

My CVC captures the look well enough and the Keystones I put in capture the '60s tonality very well but I think I'm gonna look to swap the stock neck for a rosewood neck from a Nashville Deluxe like the one on my "Nashcaster". I can live with that shallow "C" profile but the soft "V" is so much more comfortable if you're playing it all night long.

3. Rick J

Rick J Tele-Holic

Heres mine! Its a year 2000 model, bought as "new old stock" in 2002 from Coda Music in Stevenage. Lovely guitar, - personally I like the neck shape having slightly smaller hands. Its a different personality in every way from my 2006 52ri, and the two guitars are my "go to" instruments.

After 11 years with me its showing lovely signs of subtle aging, not in terms of finish falling off or wearing through - don't do enough gigs for that, but in terms of a genuine sort of patina of age due to the nitro top coat, and subtle colour changes. The neck in particular has darkened down on the maple bit. Arm wear doesn't come into it because of the binding. Sound is different from the 52 by being a little more up front and steely, very typically 60's, compared to the somewhat more muscular sound of the 52. Might be the pickups - don't know. But the pair (52ri and 62ri) are all the tele anyone would need in my opinion!

Really can't believe Fender aren't offering a double bound custom type tele as stock any more. To me they are a quintessential version of the quintessential electric guitar.

Rick J

Attached Files:

4. dennyman

dennyman Tele-Meister

Boris, I put a 1 inch rosewood boatneck w/6130 frets on my AVRI "62 Custom and it's become my favorite guitar to play. Also, I really like the neck pup in the '62 Customs. They sound special to my ears.

5. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Here's the 62 I bought from GC while there was a sale running for $1,250 or so. It was a wall hanger in Manhattan, had it shipped to NJ. Came with a horrible setup. The GC tech saw that the high E was on the edge of the board, he was moving saddles and the strings on the threaded saddles. I showed him how to loosen and shift the neck. Felt like an expert for a second or so.

It had an invisible knot or something on the back of the neck, couldn't see it but I could feel it. Tried to smooth it out a little no luck.

Had it for a few weeks, got it set up pretty nice only to return it to GC. It was much better set up than when I took it home.

I loved the tone (twangy for sure, pure Tele) and the look. I love double bounds. The neck was just too thin for me and I had other GAS and GAS bills to pay:) All in all it wasn't easy to return it for me, was somewhat attached. Hurts some to look at the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Always a little bummed out by those thin necks too..

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

The 64 is a different guitar all together.. All of the new AV line guitars are different than the AVRI line that was discontinued.. Specs are closer to e original models and they are built on a new line..

Fender has a couple of paragraphs regarding the changes to the line posted on their web site..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.