1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AVRI 52 Reissue 1 Piece Body

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by palmerfralick, Jan 20, 2020.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Beautiful.

Single seam, down the right side of the body. The center of the log that yielded the really large piece, is off to the left side. That was a big log; just not quite big enough.

So, as we look at the "story" being told by the ash on this beauty, it says (insert you favorite record) but then the record begins skipping at 1:51, and doesn't make any further progress. In fact the last 42 seconds of the record is another song, played in reverse.

+

How heavy is this body, if you know? I found it so strange, that American Deluxe Teles tended to be heavy and Highway One Texas Teles built the same month, would be quite light. Although this was 2006 and at that moment, there were still some serious opinion makers who were not concerned so much about weight - they wanted a guitar that would carve its way through the other noise in the venue, even with Bill's SCN pickups.

2. rmsurve

rmsurve TDPRI Member

This was the finished product

Attached Files:

Chino likes this.
  3. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

AS many has said, that is a TWO PIECE body. It has ALWAYS BEEN Fender's (Leo's) rule, there will be NO one piece bodies because they WILL warp (Cup) sooner or later and then Fender is responsible for repair. Ask ANY Good Luthier, and they will tell you that it is far too dangerous to make a solid body guitar with one piece of wood no matter what the wood or where the cut is in the original log. One piece buys you nothing in tone and only invites an eventual disaster.

As such, sometimes the guys in the body fabrication phase of manufacture do a great, more often lucky, job of book matching wood blocks to make a mutli-piece assembled body. Remember, "mass production" guitars are just that, MASS PRODUCTION. If the wood was "ugly" they were designated to be PAINTED and not a Sunburst, Wash, or Sunburst.

I'd rather have a nicely book-matched 3-piece Sunburst or Wash finished solid body guitar that is still straight when my Great-great grand kid inherits it than a on-piece that the body looks like a soup bowl.

This is what a solid block of wood WILL do sooner or later.
    Techn-c-cupping-solid-thursday-3.jpg

Chino likes this.
  4. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I have a '94 52 RI (well, I've replaced the neck...and pickups..so I guess it's a partscaster now) that has a two piece body, seam is pretty much dead center. I don't know what it is about this guitar but it has more "zing" than any other Tele I've owned. The 94's are back when they were using poly finishes and I've read that certain characteristics of the body are historically inaccurate (a detail about which I don't give three hoots). Oh, and it's on the heavy side too! But it has been with me since '97 and played on hundreds and hundreds of gigs. I'll always keep this one around.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Phooey.

I've seen plenty of Leo era, one piece Telecasters. Nacho's book has got a few, hasn't it guys? Clarence Leonidas is the same guy who shipped all those guitars without truss rods, that often didn't perform as expected.

Mr. Fender made the most economical use of inexpensive wood supplies, he could. When his people resawed wide blanks, it was because their senses told them the body would cup before it could be sold. They didn't mind if a body was to cup badly, in six years' time or something. They didn't even know they'd be in business that long. They also probably figured a couple of new designs would come out and then the Esquires/Broadcasters/Teles would hit the Dumpster. Followed in a few years by the Strats, and a few years after that, the Jazzmasters.

Danger? With kindest regards, the danger was that the electric guitar craze would end and somebody else would come out with better liked amps and the whole enterprise would go the way of the Studebaker. The reason why the bodies aren't 1 piece more often, from the 1950s was this was supposed to be inexpensive wood that was no longer in demand for Woody car bodies. The trouble you gotta got to to get wide wide pieces was substantial.

Leo's Rule was: Count Every Penny. This supposed aversion to one piece bodies, is imaginary.

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

2 piece... Nice guitar, congrats...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.