1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AVRI 52 Reissue 1 Piece Body

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by palmerfralick, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

My 2004 Squier Bullet Special is one piece...

...of plywood.

(I suppose that technically makes it like a 31 piece body or something...)

Fretting out and Frito-Man like this.
  2. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

3. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Not sure, but I think I see a seam. IMG_6139.JPG

Texicaster likes this.
  4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Very pretty and that is about as light as you'll ever find for a Tele...nice score.My 2011 AVRI 52 Tele appears to be a one piece body as well because I can't see a seam anywhere.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

O.P.'s body is center join, two piece;

I've seen a number of one piece ash bodies from Corona, but the overwhelming percentage of these bodies are first offered to the Fender Custom Shop and frankly, any one piece not acceptable to FCS probably is going to have issues;

Not every hunk of wood, of the correct dimensions, is stable enough to be routed and built out as a one piecer. You need to know when resawing is your better choice. Guys with enough experience at this, can manage but sometimes they let a body through that shouldn't have been offered as a one piecer.

You know you're home free on those Tokai bodies. If there was a problem, it'd have been apparent years ago. MIJ Fender is btw a great source for one piece ash bodies. Some folks go to Stratosphere or elsewhere to bid on one piece MIJ Fender bodies. They're not that rare. The engineers that set up the manufacturing process there chose to incorporate the kinds of flexibility that helps keep a variety of Lefty designs workable there, and also the same with the One Piecers.

People who insist that every piece of ash, must be cut and rejoined, need to re-find wonder in their lives. Let the wood decide.

felis likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

We like to talk about how strong a join done in Titebond or similar adhesives, is. But things can happen, in this world's varied environments, which goes to war against the adhesive more than against solid wood. Sadly, I got to see first hand how inadequate some of these adhesives are against the toxic marinade that inundated houses and shops and the contents of houses and shops, in New Orleans. Late August, 2015, and into September. I'm glad that many of you never saw what happened to the adhesives when put through this test. The long and the short of it is, if you could've avoided joins, you might still have some remnants to work with. If not, you're basically beaten down to the ground and may as well start with new materials.

felis likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

Missouri, over Texas, on this board.

It is established procedure at TDPRI, that if you claim a USA Production Fender in one piece form, you gotta provide a serious lot of photographic evidence. Because, 49 times out of 50, you've been fooled. Yeah, guys like the idea of owning a one piecer and I kinda don't like having to set 'em straight, but our credibility as an information source pretty much depends on tough scrutiny.

A couple of the guys who went though this already, have been big enough to say so and have posted to this thread. It is so easy to be fooled, since the Workers at Corona have a jump on you and they know, professionally, all the ways of disguising a seam. You never get to see the work as it is ongoing.

I have a T body from Tommy Rosamond, in alder. Tommy and 'em knew I liked one piece alder bodies and so they held one out for me. Except, this one wasn't. The other six were but this one wasn't. Somebody at USACG saw evidence this blank would be prone to cup, and so they re-sawed it and the rejoin was so artfully done, it fooled a whole lot of us. Until I got the body under magnification - and there it was. No big deal. The price was super nice, and I would go back to doing business with Tommy in a minute. If he got back into it. And the guitar sounds great.

8. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Pardon my crappy cell phone pics in my dimly lit apartment but these pics are the best I could do.I've owned this great Tele since buying it brand new in 2011 and was never able to see any seam line.I know sometimes they can match up wood to seem like a one piece and if this is the case then it is the best piece joint job I have ever seen.But I do believe it is a one piece:

82731644_168636714477107_3306811469990985728_n.jpg
    83215161_172351353976301_8546208474852229120_n.jpg

9. boris bubbanov

Take the neck off and shoot us an image of the clear ash, in the pocket.

This is going to be a Center Join. Given the way ash trees can only get just so big, and when you cut and mill them the grain patterns pretty much must follow known patterns, you look for those patterns. I need to find a replacement for Photobucket so I can show you what I mean.

Nice guitar!

+

Here's very typical looking 1 piece ash T body. See how the grain lines break across like this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    sugarinthegourd likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

[​IMG] Here's another, pretty typical looking one piecer. When you open the box, from the source, and really get to see these patterns, you get a much more in depth feeling for how the body once existed in the ash log that was cut and seasoned. When the guys at Fender are spraying on toner, they're basically deceiving your eye. Trompe L'oeil. That's their job.

11. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  12. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Can someone draw a line through the picture of the back of the op’s tele where they see the seam ,I agreed at first that I could see it then I zoomed in and the more I look at it the more I can’t see a seam

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

It's almost exactly down the middle.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I thought I saw it but when I follow it down it looks like grain weaves back and forth where the seam should be
    I’m not saying it’s not there I just think it’s exceptionally matched

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

The two halves blend OK on the lower half of the guitar, on the back. On the front, not so much.

I doubt that much time or effort is put into grain matching. They probably line up whatever two halves they end up with as well as they can within certain limits. Maybe they even lay out a small batch of halves and then do rough color matches. But I highly doubt they go hunting through their wood rack for the perfect match. On that scale of production, the labor costs of doing so would be prohibitive.

You glue together enough bodies in a big factory, and some are going to end up looking almost seamless, some are going to be terribly unmatched, and most will be somewhere in between.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  16. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

A dark part of the grain seems to end aburptly. Though it is more subtle than many I've seen. I made the line fine so as to not obscure the changing grain around the seam. You may have to squint a little. lol

Attached Files:

Fretting out likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

I think the best approach is to assume all bodies are multi-piece. I think we feel a strong sense of obligation to simply agree with our friends and comrades when they posit that their beloved guitar's body is one piece. And we end up perpetuating disinformation or mistakes.

I don't think 1 piece makes a guitar sound better, or play better, and it may end up shortening the performance life of the guitar. What One Piece does, is make finishing bodies much much easier. That's why I like it. And I like it when the finish is clear and the wood under the clear finish is luminescent and nicely figured. Once you spray enough toner or solid finish over the body that nobody can actually tell for sure by looking, what is going on, then it ceases to matter. Economically, tonically, on tape or played at stage volume. No song that was written ever turned out more poignant, because the guitar body was 1 piece.

This isn't a contest over which boy caught the largest trout. It just isn't. I remember finishing and assembling a USACG body that was one piece, but the viewers thought they saw a seam. The seam ain't there but I accepted their belief because it wouldn't make my life better, to debate about it. Better that a few 1 piecers be mistaken for multi-piece, than the other way around, I say.

18. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Here’s mine. I love her to pieces, no matter how many pieces she has. :)
    554E3C8C-D520-44D5-A06E-36AE6E4E6EBE.jpeg

boris bubbanov and Thanasis like this.
  19. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Holic

I occasionally wish my burst Telecaster had such well-disguised seams. It’s a three-piece body and practically screams it. Plus it has a fairly ugly knot on the back.

Still plays and sounds great, so I guess this is all vanity talking.

20. rmsurve

rmsurve TDPRI Member

Telecaster 8502 body

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.