1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AVRI 52 (pre-2013)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by moosie, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Enough info in some of these threads for someone to write a guide to 52 reissues! Which would be a good thing, since they had a long production run and many variations. Would love to see someone unpack the pickup variations.

I’ve long wanted a 52 RI and have been beaten in online auctions three times! @&$&[email protected]!

So I ended up settling for a 52HR. For reasons that remain obscure to me, Fender apparently decided not to use the same bridge pickup as per the 52RI. Instead they used a ‘custom wind’ variant. Quite a few people, including me, do not particularly like this ‘custom wind’ version. But what is the best replacement pickup? There doesn’t appear to be specific 52 pickups being made anymore although you can buy the pickups currently being used in the AO version. I decided to go with 51 Nocasters instead. Haven’t installed yet but looking forward to it. I’ll put the neck pickup in a separate black guard so I can swap between single and humbucker as I wish.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

These are the bridge pickup that was in the older 52 reissues (AVRI):
    https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-usa-vintage-telecaster-bridge-pickup-0053782000/

And these are the bridge pickup that's in the AV (post 2012), and the AO:
    https://darrenriley.com/store/fende...inal-50s-telecaster-bridge-pickup-0094123000/

Southpole likes this.
  3. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

In the AV line pup specs can change by vendor.

I've seen twisted/broadcaster sets, dual noaster sets, dual twisted sets, etc...

Dave's, WW, CME, etc.... often chose the pup specs for their own personal take and to have a unique product.

Buying used AVs it'll be hard to say what pups you are getting.

WW had different sets (and pickguards) in their white AV '64s alone.

The 1st run of 50 used mint guards and the twisted/ broadcaster combo that was used in the last series AMSTD.

The 2d run of 50 had 3 ply white guards and a nocaster set.

'64s from some other vendors used '64 gray bottoms.

In the AV line, unless you're buying from the original owner and he knew what pups were used, you're kinda' on your own as there are as many different combos as there are Fender pups.

Southpole likes this.
  4. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I had probably a dozen pre 2012 '52 RIs Most from the 2008-2012.
    I posted a lot about those guitars and loved them. I even did a comparison to a Custom Shop Nocaster with one(that should be documented in the archives). I may have done a comparison of the 2008-2012 to a post 2012 model as well. I can't remember.

The 2008-2012 models neck may be thicker at the first fret but compared to the '64 RI it doesnt torpedo out much and by the 12th fret is skinnier than the '64 ri.

I don't play 52 RI Telecasters anymore

moosie likes this.
  5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Any update @moosie?

FWIW, I owned a 2012 AVRI and played a 2015-ish AV in a store. At the time, I actually preferred the AV, but couldn't afford a new guitar and 'settled' for the AVRI. Though I will say it was still a fantastic guitar. Most of the differences have been mentioned above, so I won't repeat them...

But what I came here to say is that once I got my 64 AV, I promptly sold the 2012 AVRI.

igor5, DanDII and moosie like this.
  6. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

I have a 2003 AVRI 52, it's a beast of a guitar. "Heavy" at 8ish lbs but no one has ever picked it up and said anything about that, I think you really only notice a guitars weight post 9lbs, at least for me. The neck is a C, compared to my custom shop 51 Nocaster it feels a lot thinner but it's wider and still fills out the hand. Over the years mine has been refretted with 6100s, I also put a Fred Stuart Lap Wrap in the bridge and Alan Hamel tall neck in the neck, Glendale hardware, Emerson wiring harness. Has plenty of battle scars. It's my most cutting tele live, and because of the weight, broadcaster pup it rips like an LP on the stage. These days I'm mostly playing the nocaster since that's a magic guitar but the AVRI has been faithfully by my side for 16 years

igor5 and moosie like this.
  7. moosie

I'll be picking up the AVRI today. The AV seems to be stalled in UPS-land. Been sitting at the same location for 48 hours now... :mad:

I get that. If I had to keep one Tele, I wouldn't even hesitate. The 64, absolutely.

I'm in the camp that is comfortable owning a small collection (er, 20 guitars), loving them all, even if I don't play some of then very frequently. I know people who are the exact opposite. I think it actually is stressful for them to really like multiple guitars, because they can only focus on one at a time.

When the AVs came out, and I became aware of them through my AV58 purchase, I immediately wanted the others. They're a set, right? I don't usually go so far as to get one in each color, but to get one of each model, when Fender was going to such vintage-correct lengths to differentiate them? Sure, why not!

But I had the CS 52, and wasn't ready to bail on it yet, so I waited. By the time I was ready, I feel the AVs had generally gotten heavier, trending to 7.5+ lbs. I tried a few, bought one, returned it, and then ... discontinued. So, I never did get the rest of the set.

And then there's that AVRI memory I related in the OP. Memory is often better than fact... So, we'll see... I need to head down to pick that one up.

igor5 likes this.
  8. moosie

Sorry for the vacation... I collapsed walking to my car the other day, which won me a free overnight stay in the hospital. But don't worry, I'm O---KAY... :D I've been dealing with CIDP since 2001, and apparently this is just another progression...

This Telecaster is pretty cool. It's got the neck you all described, to a tee. Not my favorite, but OK. And the weight is what I expected, 7.9 lbs. Way too heavy for me.... theoretically. We'll see how it plays.

The cool part is this is a 2005, that appears to be NOS. A tiny bit shopworn, just some pickguard pick marks. And VERY old strings LOL. The tweed case is in perfect new condition, and the candy is all intact, unsealed. The rubber band around the leather guitar strap is mostly dust by now.

The frets have zero wear, but they're enough out of level that I'm giving it a light level & crown. Neck measures .90 / .94, and feels like a C shape. Not unlike my AV64, except that one's slightly bigger, and better. The frets are tiny, as expected: approximately .035 x .091.

The bright ORANGE body :lol: is entirely free of marks. The neck has some nice curl on the back, and interesting grain on the fingerboard.

Pics when I finish setting it up.

9. moosie

The AVRI is ready to go. Frets dressed, full setup (nut was OK). I 'fixed' the electronics, to modern three-way spec, plus a Kinman style treble bleed.

Pretty neck!

20190922_001822.jpg

20190922_001935.jpg

20190922_024512.jpg 20190922_023904.jpg

The pickups sound pretty good. 'Clanky' twang. Polar opposite of the sweet bell-like chime I get from the '64. Can't wait to A/B the two 52s, AV and AVRI.

Speaking of which, the AV should arrive Monday. The hang up was that the seller inadvertently shipped it to himself :lol::lol::lol: When we couldn't find it, he called UPS, and while dealing with them, the driver showed up at his house. :D

Conclusion on the AVRI: it's not the same vibe as the AV, but still is a very nice guitar. And this one is unbelievably in mint condition, 14 years old.

RYAN1987M, dannyh, mimmo and 5 others like this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Sweet. Funny how those bodies can look different hues in different lighting conditions.

I have an AV 52 that the prior owner refinished in wafer thin Daphne Blue (I’ve posted this many times). It has a very nice medium neck and has Original Vintage pickups as far as I can tell. It a beaut.

moosie likes this.
  11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I have an AVRI 2011. I bought it after A/B-ing it quite carefully with post-2012 AVRIs and liking it better. My findings were
    - the sound is exactly the same – the “beefy blackguard” sound I so love in teles
    - the neck is slightly smaller, which I liked. It’s exactly the size of “U” neck that my hands like (the new Vinteras seem to have that exact size and shape … oh, supreme temptation)
    - I like the finish better… I’m not crazy about the pale plaster of the AVRI2012-17, and much prefer translucent butterscotch. BTW: love the grain and looks of yours!
    - yeah the AVRI2012 has some more little things approximating it more to a real ’52: recessed switch tip, slotted screws (although incredibly they got the dot spacing wrong). I just don’t care, and if I did it would be an easy swap.

So to me, buying a pre-2012 ’52 was not “settling for less”. It was my favorite, and I’ve yet to find a tele I like quite as much. Unless I get rich and can buy the real deal, I’ve resolved that this one will be THE blackguard in my collection, and it’s been my #1 tele ever since. I lust for a whiteguard, of course, but that’s another story.

I’m curious to read about your findings!

dannyh, swany and moosie like this.
  12. moosie

Your AVRI (pre-2012) doesn't have slotted screws? Mine does...

I do like the visible wood grain better than the pale opaque... but I like a thinner finish, which I'm sure the AV will have.

Finish geekery: I measured the thickness of a chip that flaked off my AV58, exposing bare wood: .007" thick.

The finish on the AVRI had separated from the body at the edge, just under the neck heel. I could fit a razor blade in there. It was kind of elasticky, which makes me wonder about the nitro formulation... Anyway, I was able to get a caliper in there, and the paint is .023" thick. Triple that of the AV. You might even argue that it's more, because this one has had 14 years to cure.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Not in every nook and cranny. IIRC some are phillips (control plate). But I don’t care and if I did I’d just go at the hardware store ;)

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Part of it comes from the sealers used. The AVRIs had a thicker urethane sealer coat.

But the "Flash Coat" process used on the AVs did indeed use extra lacquer thinner, which meant that for a given coat, less solids would be left behind than on AVRI lacquer jobs.

Fender has gone back to urethane sealer, and to using a "normal" amount of lacquer thinner, but whatever they are using is still thinner than the AVRI finishes IME. Perhaps they are applying the sealer coat more thinly now, and/or not as many clear coats.

moosie likes this.
  15. moosie

Yeah, I played a 60s AO the other day. Lake Placid Blue, double bound. It's hard to tell with the metallics, but it didn't seem 'too thick'. Neither did it show that ever-so-slight grain sink like my CAR AV does.

Between the 9.5 radius, and especially the thinner neck profile - which felt suspicously like a 'modern C' to me - I'm sure I won't have any GAS for these, pretty as they are.

16. Kezzell

Kezzell TDPRI Member

My A.O. 60’s finish is starting to sink into the wood in spots. It’s a pretty thin finish. I would say it’s thinner than my Les Paul Standard. Both are from 2018.

moosie likes this.
  17. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

My 2011 is one of my favorite guitars. 6.4ish lbs iirc. I did change the pickups for a set of Florance nocasters and they’re fantastic. Chewy and all sorts of fire. The stock pups are nice, just more laid back.

18. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I love my old 2002 avri. It's seen pretty much every gig I've ever played. Had it been an AV, I don't think there'd be any finish left on it at all by now. Still sounds and plays great. Had a refret a while back which brought it back into shape. It was getting nearly impossible to play.
    My 2014 AV 52 has a better tone to my ears but in a live setting it doesn't matter at all. I can't tell any difference over all the other noise. I'd rather just keep beating away at my old workhorse anyway so it's still my daily driver. However, one of my home brews is putting up a good fight. Last night I played it the entire gig. Almost felt bad for leaving the old gal in the stand all night.

moosie and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  19. moosie

grain sink 1.jpg 20190923_173200.jpg

Here it is! The 2016 AV '52. It's a keeper, for sure. I don't know why I had such a difficult time finding one like this. I looked pretty seriously for a few months shortly before they were discontinued. Every one was either 'too expensive' by my standards, or had something wrong with it. When the discontinuation news came out, I caved and bought a new one, and even that one was boogered up. And then there weren't any more new ones, and I gave up. So, to you guys who reminded me how good these later ones can be, thank you! It was worth the wait. And it was pretty cheap, too.

7 lbs even, .92 / 1.02 neck, 'vintage' .038 x .096 fret wire. The neck's large, but not huge. Just right.

The finish is perfect - Fender at their best. Like the AV '58, the paint is a bit 'thicker' and more opaque on the edges, and on the faces it's just beginning to sink into the grain. I tried to capture that in the first photo... Overall the paint is no more than a few thousandths of an inch thick.

There are a few minor lentil-size dings, with a couple flaked off, showing bare ash. I followed my usual new-used guitar routine: disassemble, inspect, remove 'mojo' with naphtha, and hand-buff the finish, and the pickguard, with 3M Ultrafine Machine Polish. The guitar looks like new, not even any pick marks, and I don't even notice the dings anymore.

There are a couple of dented frets in the cowboy area, but overall they're very level. I set it up with 10-46, fairly low action (4/64 @ 12th). No buzzing, and lots of clarity.

The tone... I compared all four AV/AVRI Teles through my '69 Twin, with nothing but a hint of compression and slap delay. All guitars have Kinman style treble bleeds. 58 and 64 have no-load tone pots. 58 has Fred Stuart Blackguard pickups. 52s and 58 are ash/maple, and the 64 is alder/rosewood.

The 64 and 58 both sound rich and sweet to me, vs the 52s. I love-love the AV64 pickups, but the Stuarts are always my favorite. The 64s have bell-chime. The Stuarts have this swirling 3D character. Very subtle, but I hear it every time. There are a lot of Tele pickups I haven't tried yet, but the Stuarts are the best so far (and then the 64s).

I described the AVRI 52 as 'clanky twang'. Yep, still sounds that way. It's a harder, in your face sound that I nearly always hear in any Fender 50s wind, Strat or Tele. 'Hard' like how a dog's bark is, compared to singing. That sounds bad, but it's neither bad nor good. Different.

The AV52 (2016) sounds similar to the AVRI, but has it's own thing. Grind, or grit. Keep in mind, I'm playing entirely crystal clean here. Not that kind of grit. A little bit like how a P90 clean isn't really clean. It's like a little bit of that idea, on top of the AVRI 'barky' sound.

As objective as I try to be, you can probably tell I don't care for either of the 52s tones that much, compared to the others. If I keep both guitars, and right now it's lookin' that way, for a year or so, anyway... I'll definitely replace one set, and maybe both.

20190923_173722.jpg

20190923_174049.jpg

Attached Files:

20. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

0.038" by 0.096" fretwire? If that isn't a typo, sumthin' ain't right there. The wire should be Dunlop 6230 or equivalent: .079" wide, give or take. Height can vary depending on the initial fretwork, but it starts off in the 0.040s.

The only thing I can think of that would make the frets actually measure 0.096" wide is if you were measuring the lacquer that was sprayed over them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.