AVRI 52 (pre-2013)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by moosie, Sep 15, 2019.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For what it's worth, my 64 neck is nearly identical in size and feel, to my CS 63 Strat. I already had the Strat, and when I got the Tele, I just figured this must be an average early-mid 60s 'oval C'.

The 58 doesn't have a C neck. They call it a D. I call it a skinnier U. It's a bit strange, like nothing else. I suspect that's partly why they are the least popular of the three. That, and 'everybody' loves a blackguard...

A Fender rep explained the AVRI Thinline timeline to me once, and now I forget. When did they end? June 2013?

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Those are incredible prices. And I thought I had done well! I guess not.

The $1,200 '58 was pretty much just the shop covering its cost on the guitar and shipping.

My '58 is a 2TSB one. I didn't even know I loved that paint job on a Tele until I saw this guitar in person. The shop also had a blonde '58 at the same price. I didn't even play it, even though the salesman at the shop said he thought it sounded just a LITTLE BIT better. The sunburst sounded and felt way better than "good enough," so I chose based on looks.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  3. moosie

Naw, your prices are great, too!

The '58 was interesting. One of those rare had-to-be-there things. When the owner messaged me later in the day, I did some research. Googled his store, and 'street view' let me peek in his windows. (He didn't have much of a website). :twisted: I read that he'd only been in business for a couple years, and he was catering to the very low end - students mostly. There wasn't a single guitar in the place listed at more than $400. I called him, and asked what was the deal. Nice guy. Apparently he had to eat the AV when they ordered it wrong, but he had little chance of selling it locally. I imagine he held out a few weeks. He actually said 'it's a cash grab' to me. I'm pretty sure he needed to free up the capital so he could make payroll, or rent.

I was completely willing to walk. Money was a bit tight, and I'd have been relieved if he'd declined. Except I'd have been pissed later. Anyway, we had a very nice chat, and at that time I was largely unaware of these, so explained that I'd probably have to do all kinds of nasty things to it, like refret it with stainless, and I don't recall what other idiocy (on a brand new guitar). He felt grateful to move it, and I felt a bit excited at now owning TWO Teles (first was a Am Deluxe.)

Come to think of it, that day was probably the ruination of me. Two Teles, indeed. I probably got on here to find out about what I just bought, and learned that two was such a small number.... :lol:

The 64 I got from Prymaxe, the pedal shop. They had a foray into guitars for a while. I think Fender made small dealerships difficult at one point. I know Pro Guitar Shop lost (or relinquished) their dealer rights. I picked up two CS then, for a song. And then there was Prymaxe, dumping the last few guitars at silly prices. Funny thing is, that guitar sat and sat, at that price. No one wised up. All probably assumed it had to have something wrong with it.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  4. moosie

I never saw the 58 burst in person. But in one good photo it was gorgeous. Lots of yellow in the center, and not much black. Normally I don't care for Fender 'mud' bursts, but I could have loved that one.

5. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Fwiw, my AVRI is a 2008 model. Just under 7 lbs. Not really a pumpkincaster (to my eyes at least), but the finish is pretty transparent, and the body has quite a bit of figuring going on, so it doesn’t much look like a real 52, or what a real 52 probably would have looked like new, at least not like the AV finishes did. Neck is not as big as any AV 52s I’ve played, but not small like the pre 98 models I’ve tried. All that said, I love it. Very resonant, light enough for me, but I’ve had it since 2012, so it’s an old friend now. Best of luck, hope it works out for ya....

Mine...

[​IMG]

igor5, DanDII, swany and 3 others like this.
  6. moosie

Nice! Everyone who loves theirs has said something like 'resonant'.

That's the wild card here, that once I play it, if it blows me away, I'd be a fool to dump it because of some predetermined want.

That said, I have been looking this evening. Got my eye on an AV, under 7 lbs. That's one of the things I've encountered - nearly all of the AVs on the market (at least) are fairly heavy, like 7.5 and up. I realize that may not be terribly heavy to some, but I like the lighter ones - all else equal. Which of course it never is.

dannyh likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I don't think pictures do justice to most bursts. A well painted burst is really something magnificent to see...in person.

I myself have always been a 2TSB lover, and not big on 3TSB. Even on a Les Paul Model/Standard, a plain-topped 2TSB (yellow to black) is my favorite burst (if it has to be a burst at all).

That said, sometimes I see a 3TSB that is just so beautiful. I got my limited edition nitro finished G&L Legacy based mostly on the gorgeous paint job.

FWIW, it seems to me that a fairly high percentage of Fender bursts in the '50s and '60s were really painted poorly, IME browsing vintage shops.

8. moosie

Makes me wonder what they messed up, and were trying to hide. Like the whole reason for Antigua Bursts...

9. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat TDPRI Member

My first and only Telecaster guitar is a '52 AVRI from 2006 during Fender's 60th anniversary (1946). I sure got Tele fever back in that year and this one spoke to me. It has the old 50's wiring and I love the thin neck on this guitar. I know that other AVRIs have the thicker U-shaped necks but this one plays so comfortably.:)

IMG435.jpg
    IMG173.jpg
    IMG186.jpg

G-52, moosie and Southpole like this.
  10. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Typical GC 52 listing:

52 Telecaster reissue.

Elsewhere it will say case or maybe they just don't. Usually the condition is Good, blank or a lie. One faded out of focus photo on a hanger or perhaps laying on the floor. Sometimes it is not even the guitar.

11. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have looked at the AVRI’s in there various forms. Without holding or playing one I don’t think I could buy one. I don’t like the pale yellow and not really the pumpkin. I actually think I would like the current version best because it has tall frets, a large neck and ,I think, a more modern neck. If I can find one I will try it.

They change the vintage guitar so often I can’t keep up.

12. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

I’m wondering if a 2012 AVRI - before the change to AV in August or whenever it was - might be one to look out for. Already leaning towards thicker neck profile but with the same thin skin nitro finish used on the AVs. Not sure how much 52 Reissue pickups have varied over the years but that’s an easy fix if you already know a vintage Tele pick up you like.

13. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

The 2012 through 2017 American Vintage 52 (AV52), with the standard 3-way switching right out of the box, is in my opinion the best of that series of guitars including the earlier AVRI run.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  14. moosie

Yes, GC has the worst used listings in the world. But apart from that, it's the best place to buy used.
    • The phone number of the owning store is listed, so it's easy to call for an in-hand description.
    • The chance of a mispricing, or a deal, is high, because they don't often carry the thing in question, and they don't follow the used market outside their world. No one really 'owns' the thing, and since the listing is so brain-dead, it often just sits there.
    • Shipping fee is flat $20 from store to store. It will be delivered to your local store within a week. When you pick it up, you can refuse it on the spot if it's not what you expected. (usually less shipping, unless they really messed up the listing).
    • From there, you get a whole month and a half with the merch, to see how it goes. Sometimes you know right away, but it's nice to have the flexibility.
    • If you do return it, it's completely different than if it were a private seller. There's no shipping - just drop it off. And there's none of the resistance to accepting the return. They don't care, either way.
    It's especially useful for situations like this one, for me, where I'm really not sure I'm going to like it. Normally I'm able to do research, and have high confidence that my online purchase will work out - that I'll like it. But this isn't one of those times, apparently. :rolleyes:

Another good situation is with vintage amps, where it might be hard to tell without having it in hand, and where shipping both ways is cost-prohibitive, and a hassle.

One memorable GC deal was for an Eastman AR810ce, the big 17" archtop - that GC didn't even carry. Google search won't find it, but searching the GC used listings will. It was eight years old, well cared for, in truly excellent condition. Build quality, finish, and materials surpassing Gibson. They normally go for $2300 new, and at least $1600 used. I paid $1160.

Then, 43 days later, I returned it so I could buy a new 175 that just went on sale. Such a moron. It's one of the few that got away.

15. moosie

See, now... that's gorgeous. No, it doesn't look like the AVs. But it's certainly quite nice in it's own right. But a thin neck... guess I really got that wrong... o_O

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  16. moosie

Well, I'm going to have a choice here.

The AVRI should be arriving in a few days. Unless it's completely horrible, I'll bring it home, set it up, and give it a good play.

The photos and stories you AVRI owners have posted make me feel pretty good about it. Thank you. I just wish I hadn't got the 'thick neck' wrong.

My AV compatriots encouraged me to keep looking for an AV, and I did. Found one. It's on the way, too.

One problem I've seen with the AV52 hunt (the later ones) is that the lighter ones we saw early on are few on the used listings. Maybe all the good ones are being kept, especially after the discontinuation. Nearly all of the listings I've seen since they stopped production are either priced as if they're made of gold, and/or they have 'something' wrong. Often including being too heavy. "Too heavy" is subjective, and I know many of us enjoy Teles in the 8 lb+ range. I prefer them light, and especially these AVs. My 58 is 6.7 lbs, and the 64 is 7.1. I've owned 7.5 lb Teles, and unless there's a good reason otherwise, I'd prefer no heavier than 7.25, and preferably in the high 6s.

The weight isn't about back pain or anything. It's that often (not always) the light ones feel stiffer, they vibrate more into my body as I'm playing (seated). They feel very lively.

So, the one I just bought is a 2015, and is a bit under 7 lbs. And to be safe, the seller states that it's a very large U neck.

Gotta be a catch. The catch is that it's been played a bit. You guys know how these finishes are. The body is actually in great shape, but the thing I wish it didn't have was a ding and finish cracks right at the treble-side neck pocket lip. That, and it's missing the case. The seller is including a gig bag, which my son can use for gigging.

I know a lot of people don't care, but I like my G&G hard cases. No, this won't be the collectible AV52 with case and all candy. But I actually prefer the black or tan Tolex, over the unfinished tweed. So, I factored in the cost of a new G&G hard case ($200).

I'll almost certainly keep the AV - but I've thought that before.

I'll almost certainly keep, and then return, the AVRI. But if it's a good one... I know I'm gonna love those small frets...

If I flip the AV, I won't get hurt. I paid $1275.

If I end up keeping both? Well, just shoot me. Dang. I hate this forum... :lol::) (kidding)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  17. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I am sorry if this is off topic from your question original poster but is the 2012 part of the AVRi or the AV? Is there a difference besides the color, slightly different neck and thin skin? Like do the AVs still have 7.25 and the right frets ?

18. moosie

2012 was the transition year. Officially August, but I think the earliest production date I've seen for an AV is November 2012.

From what I'm hearing, the neck profile is more than slightly different. I know the AVs have a big U. A real handful. Both have 7.25. The older series has smaller frets. After being put on a guitar, and possibly lightly dressed, I measured them on my AVRI 69 to be around .035 x .096 wide. They remind me of vintage style Martin or Gretsch frets. The AVs have something closer to a 6105, also called med jumbo aka 'narrow tall'. They're everywhere these days. For instance, my AV64 they measure .048 tall x .084 wide.

The finish was the outstanding feature of the AV, easily on par with CS. Even better IMO than what had been typically called 'thin skins' in special runs. It varied through the series, and depending on the color. The metallics seem thicker, probably just because the formula includes an underlayer of gold or silver. The AV58 from 2013 is probably only .007" thick, right down to bare wood. The old AVRIs have a nitro topper, and I've heard it a bunch of ways, but usually that the underlayer was poly. Even though the finish on my AVRI 69 was more like the AV line, it was produced in 2012. I think most of the AVRI line has a finish that you might visually equate with a thick poly finish on a standard. As you mention, the color was different. The AV tried to achieve the color they might have been initially - sort of. I think the 'pumpkin' of the AVRIs was to mimic how the old ones look NOW. Much more grain is visible on the AVRIs.

The pickups are different, but I'm not sure how, or if it's just labeling. I never A/Bed the 52s (though I'll be able to soon).

The stock wiring was different. AVs have the modern three-way, with case candy that allows wiring the old way if you really want to. The AVRI came the old way (all of them? or did someone say they changed through the years?).

The hardware on the AVs was all brand new for that line. Fender completely retooled for the new AVs, and liked the result enough to begin using the new AV hardware on all CS Time Machine models, too.

The AV was meant to be an "experience". The case, and case candy, were vintage-y all the way. Hang tag included in the case that would have been on the original, etc. Inconsequential, but at the same time, cool as hell.

57fenderstrat likes this.
  19. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Very helpful and informative thank you ! I too want a 52 Tele and just when I think I had everything figured out I learn more and have more things to mull over. It’s like I want everything about the newer model except I want the smaller frets. I guess the bigger ones will allow for more to work with for fret dresses though. Thank you for this information and good luck finding yours !

20. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Love the straight grain on that one. Visually, that's what makes the difference in aesthetics on a 52 reissue. There are a lot of them out there on the market but some of them have an ugly grain pattern.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.