AVID Protools - FREE

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by rider7, Jan 23, 2015.

1. rider7

rider7 Tele-Meister

2. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

Saw this yesterday. It's free so I am not complaining but found it a bit odd that you can only have 3 projects stored at once and the only place they are saved to is in the cloud. No real local storage of your projects other than a cached copy of what you are currently working on.

I saw a comparison list though. Doesn't look too cut down, other than track count and included plugins, but I'm not sure exactly how comprehensive that list was.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Very interesting. I'm using GB as I ramp up, but I can already see some limitations. I got the ProTools Express with my interface, but didn't even load it up. I wonder how big of a step it is from Express to First?

Thanks for posting.

4. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

From what I've read since the announcement, it doesn't really seem worth the time investment to me unless you're really interested in learning Pro Tools and plan on upgrading later at a pretty substantial cost.

Even before the major DAWs starting switching to subscription models I believe Logic Pro X was the absolute best value there is in the category. Now it definitely is. For $200 and free updates it is a steal compared to the others.

5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I bought Sonar X2 for 99 bucks at my local Fry's Electronics
    off the shelf.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for the reality check shovelrider. My best friend,mentor and degreed in recording went from GB to PT and then has stuck with Logic. I'm such a cheapskate, I just have to look at anything that says, "free".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.